Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol good call re: convincing the wife that it’s part of the car payment.

You’ve probably addressed this before, but why opt for the M3LR with acceleration boost instead of going for the M3P? Getting the M3P for just $5k more (based on my $55,990 order price + $2k accel boost = $57,990 vs. $62,990 for the M3P) is a constant battle I have in my head. What steers me away from the M3P is the 20” uberturbine wheels - I think they’re ugly, I don’t want the added cost of replacing a 20” tire, and I prefer a softer ride
I considered upgrading to the M3P but the large 20” wheels not only give the car a harsher ride, but tires cost $1600+ as opposed to the 18” which is around $900. That and range drops substantially. Though there is the option to get smaller aftermarket wheels, you gotta go through the hassle of selling the 20” wheels and getting/swapping your TPMS as well.

ZZ* I’m still rooting for you, we joined around the same time. FYI, I got the “left the factory” message on 8/9 and was able to schedule my pickup appt on 8/21. Maybe it won’t take too long for yours to make it to the NE.

Also, it is not particularly fair but mine is blk/blk ordered after yours. Going to Savannah GA.

I just had the Nema 14-50 outlet I had installed a few months ago swapped out for a wall charger. I never even used the 14-50 lol.

P.S. I messed up and told my wife about the acceleration boost, but I doubt she was paying attention lol.

ZZ* I’m still rooting for you, we joined around the same time. FYI, I got the “left the factory” message on 8/9 and was able to schedule my pickup appt on 8/21. Maybe it won’t take too long for yours to make it to the NE.

Also, it is not particularly fair but mine is blk/blk ordered after yours. Going to Savannah GA.

I just had the Nema 14-50 outlet I had installed a few months ago swapped out for a wall charger. I never even used the 14-50 lol.

P.S. I messed up and told my wife about the acceleration boost, but I doubt she was paying attention lol.
Thanks and trust me you may think theyre not paying attention, but they are ;)

Just a quick update! Received text this morning stating, "my Model 3 has just departed from our factory and is in transit to your delivery center! Be on the lookout for a message within the next week to schedule your delivery appointment. Be sure to schedule as soon as possible, as appointments fill up quickly."
So that was cool, I really appreciated the communication! I'll actually be on vacation next week, so that works out well, because my EDD currently has on or about 8/31 as a likely first available day for a pickup, which is exactly two weeks from when I received my VIN. Again, loving the communication.
Another thing happened today also I thought was odd. I got a call from a Tesla rep this morning from a Nevada 702 area code. I didn't recognize the number, so I let it go to voicemail. Gentlemen was super nice and stated that he saw that I previously requested a trade quote 2 months ago and declined, and if I would be willing to accept another offer for my car. He ended up texting me all the info also, and I texted back, sure. He just needed the mileage. So about eight hours later or so, the second offer was even LOWER than the first, by about 1200 bucks! 🤣 Needless to say, I declined again!
Side note: I switched auto insurers tonight. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give specific company names, so I won't. But my advice, shop around. I've been with the same company for 6 years. Decided to do a quick quote elsewhere and saved several hundred dollars on a 6 month policy for slightly better coverage on two vehicles.

Last edited:
All Paint Protection and Tinting has been done. We elected to tint all of the glass surfaces and it really makes a HUGE difference. I totally recommend getting your glass overhead tinted as it really does cut down on the heat! My visit to the service center was to have the windshield wipers adjusted as they were hitting the frunk hood. Just barely but still hitting. I had called our service center earlier in the week and, at the time, these were going to be part of another service appt that isnt until August 30. No can do! I need windshield wipers! The service center folks are amazing. They said bring it in when they open and they will have a look at it. Well they sure did! I was out of there in minutes! That has to have been THE fastest service I have ever had! So far so good....cant say enough good things about our service center. I hope they keep doing great work!
@ColoradoMike
What level and type of tint did you do?

Thanks

I see on Reddit another user has same 338xxx vin as me and their SA confirmed they have matrix headlights. So it’s safe to assume I will as well?

Has matrix headlights been an issue lately ?
I haven't heard that it has been an issue lately. The vehicles that were taken of the truck this AM while I was at the COS Svc center all had Matrix lights for their Model 3's....did not check VINs. They literally rolled off the truck as I was waiting to get my wipers fixed.

Reactions: Cereal
Delivery Appt set for Friday Aug 26!
D421BE8F-D8A7-493C-9A2B-8B6BC4A9297D.jpeg

Wall charger installed today!

The second reason is just the performance itself. The brakes are a nightmare to manage and you will see lots of posts where they start to rust and seize after inactivity for only a few days. I live right near the ocean so rust is always a constant struggle. However the absolute reason I will NEVER buy a P is , as you alluded to) the wheels. They are a nightmare in a cold climate with potholes. You cannot use them under 40F period. If you do they will burst and you will spin out. You also can not store them below 40F either as they will degrade. So now you are factoring in having to buy all weather tires for 2K more. And by doing so you are compromising the handling and speed of the P. Plus they are not as smooth and less forgiving to damage. So the wheels are the big deal breaker for me. No matter how I play the numbers I just can't sell myself on them.

And a quick third thing the P has less range
I did not know that about the P’s brakes being so temperamental, thanks for sharing. But makes sense considering that if you correctly one-pedal-drive your EV, you’ll almost never need to use your actual brakes.

Also, I’ve heard that the uberturbines are ridiculously heavy for what they are, which further affects range

Reactions: ZZ118
So if you but the P and put on new tires they will set you back an additional 2K. Now you can sell the stock P tires to recoup some money if you want that hassell. But if you don't then its a wash and instead of putting 2K into the boost you are putting 2K into the tires. As I said above getting the boost will make the car better, getting the tires will only make the car "whole"
Yeah that’s a hassle I don’t want - immediately swapping wheels and tires on a car that I’ve been waiting *months* to get

Reactions: ZZ118
I considered upgrading to the M3P but the large 20” wheels not only give the car a harsher ride, but tires cost $1600+ as opposed to the 18” which is around $900. That and range drops substantially. Though there is the option to get smaller aftermarket wheels, you gotta go through the hassle of selling the 20” wheels and getting/swapping your TPMS as well.
And I’m not crazy about the look of aftermarket wheels on the Model 3. I think Tesla’s 19” Sport wheels, v.1, are the best wheels for the Model 3 - fits the car’s aesthetic perfectly and not too compromising in terms of ride quality and efficiency

I did not know that about the P’s brakes being so temperamental, thanks for sharing. But makes sense considering that if you correctly one-pedal-drive your EV, you’ll almost never need to use your actual brakes.

Also, I’ve heard that the uberturbines are ridiculously heavy for what they are, which further affects range
Apparently they do shake off the rust quickly but they squeal like a rat until then

• Funny
Reactions: phaheem
After 116 days from OD to DD I finally took her home on Monday. Matrix lights, Ryzen, Michelins, came with cables and adapters. She was flawless when I picked her up. Only some greasy hand prints on parts of the leather and arm rest areas that I got the SA to clean off.

The delivery process was very easy and non-traditional. After inspection we did all the Tesla paperwork sitting in the car. Then about 15 min inside the office to transfer the insurance with the agent. In and out within 60min. Very stress-free compared to buying a car from a traditional dealership.

Went home and popped off the aeros right away and put on the CoolKo caps I got on Amazon. Looks so much more sexier!! Will tint the rear windows this weekend.

It's worth the wait guys and gals!!!
Couple things I want to add after driving her for a couple days. I've read on these forums that these Michelins are noisy and indeed they are. Even driving at city speeds the tire noise is very noticeable. I did not compare it with other brands though.

I've also read that the suspension is rather on the hard side but I do not notice that at all. I find it to be the perfect balance between comfort and performance. Not too hard, not too soft and minimal lean on hard corners.

Hey guys, in the same waiting room for my M3LR as everyone. Sharing my experience so far.

Config:
M3LR
Black
Aero wheels
Black interior

OD 06/02
1EDD: Sept-Dec
2EDD: July 4 - Aug 1
3EDD: Sept 2 - Oct 14
4EDD: Aug 13-27
5EDD: Sept 1-29
6EDD: Sept 4-18

I am in the South Texas region by Starbase (lol)

Any thoughts, anyone on the same boat as me?
When did you get your last EDD?