Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep seeing this topic being brought up hopefully it’s not as common as I see it be.
It's the same as anything with the web - you only see reports of it happening, not reports of it not happening. It's something that happens in very specific situations, and you'll get used to it or you might never see an occurrence. For me, excessive or unnecessary braking for crossing traffic is much more annoying than phantom braking.

Reactions: RobertsM3SR
It's the same as anything with the web - you only see reports of it happening, not reports of it not happening. It's something that happens in very specific situations, and you'll get used to it or you might never see an occurrence. For me, excessive or unnecessary braking for crossing traffic is much more annoying than phantom braking.
The cross traffic braking logic is MUCH better when running FSD Beta.

As with the person who was asking about a Texas delivery, it takes about 2 weeks to get a vehicle to Ontario once the VIN has been assigned. With an EDD of September 16-26, that makes your VIN date September 2-12. If you don't see a VIN by the 12th, expect to be pushed into Q4. The exception here is that you could be offered a refused vehicle that's already at your delivery site at any time up to the end of the quarter.

In contrast, California needs only a few days to turn around from VIN to delivery, and most of that is probably preparation at the delivery site. Depending on where you are in California, you could see a VIN as late as the 23rd or so (to accommodate the 26th end date).
Thanks for the info. Hoping the VIN comes by the 12th has been around the September to early October range for over a month now and just keeps moving closer and closer.

Reactions: ZZ118
It does not stop as far as I know. Usually it will drop 10mph or so rather quickly, which can be disconcerting. I usually just hit the accelerator when it happens to override. The worst part about it is the wife complaining next to me. It does not happen very often in my car, and certainly does not make AP unusable like some people seem to imply.

Reactions: JB47394 and ZZ118
It does not stop as far as I know. Usually it will drop 10mph or so rather quickly, which can be disconcerting. I usually just hit the accelerator when it happens to override. The worst part about it is the wife complaining next to me. It does not happen very often in my car, and certainly does not make AP unusable like some people seem to imply.
Has Phantom braking always been a problem or just when Tesla disengaged/discountinued radar?

Took delivery today. Guess that means I graduated? Car was pretty much perfect. One paint chip repaired on the spot and a scuff was buffed out in one small area. Just back from a 380KM road trip and it went very well. Did notice some phantom braking with autopilot. Not sure what to do about that. Here's a pic I just took of it charging.

View attachment 848723
Congrats! The dbm looks great!

Has Phantom braking always been a problem or just when Tesla disengaged/discountinued radar?
It has always happened on occasion, but seems to have gotten a little worse since I was converted to TeslaVision (via FSDBeta). My take is that Tesla seems to concentrate on FSD development and has put refining AP on the back burner. Hopefully recent NHTSB investigations will prod them to start up serious AP refinement again.

Finally took delivery and everything was flawless! OD 5/23 DD 9/3

Battery drained 55% day one, drove about 90 miles. This seemed a little off to me but possibly just because I've been flooring it frequently day one?
Yes! Flooring it day one is happening to everyone. You will also notice a grin from ear to ear that is very, very difficult to remove. Have fun!

Reactions: VT_EE
I get that is concerning but that doesn't sound as bad as some people make it sound. I thought the car was going 60 to 0 in like 2 seconds screeching on the highway

Applies to girlfriends and boyfriends too 🤷🏽‍♂️ Pretty much Everyone has been rejected and then accepted by someone else later. No big deal.
Turns out that the person this car was brought in for opted not to buy the car after all. My good fortune. SA confirmed (now!) my car, built on 8/6/22 has matrix headlights, Michelins and no charger. Car is in and I’m scheduled to p/u 9/6. I was originally scheduled to p/u 9/5 but when I rejected their trade-in offer on 9/3 it required a change to the insurance docs and my ins co doesn’t open until Tuesday am.

I think it is an anticipation thing. The car can predict a lot of stuff and make adjustments to avoid issues. Sometimes I think it over anticipates and errs on the side of caution.
Yeah I completely agree that's the problem. I was just asking what actually happens when it does. It's one thing to slow down that's nbd its another if it stops short on the highway

Reactions: guerro
Took delivery today. Guess that means I graduated? Car was pretty much perfect. One paint chip repaired on the spot and a scuff was buffed out in one small area. Just back from a 380KM road trip and it went very well. Did notice some phantom braking with autopilot. Not sure what to do about that. Here's a pic I just took of it charging.
Car looks great! Blue all the way :)

What highways were you on when the phantom breaking was happening ? I have been on QEW, 403, 410 and 407 and seems ok so far but I’m scared when idiots tail me too close!