Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my June order on hold until Tesla made me say I am ready relasing the hold last week.
For a while in just said Dec delivery
but now is Nov 2 - Dec 7
Anyone else still waiting?
Yup. Similar story for my east coast delivery - after the vacation hold for my May order I’m now at Nov 5 - Dec 10. White LR, 18”, EAP.

If it’s late enough I’ll consider cancelling and reordering after things are sorted out with incentives in 2023.

Tesla Says In Q3, Co Produced Over 365,000 Vehicles And Delivered Over 343,000 Vehicles

REUTERS 11:25 AM ET 10/2/2022

* IN THE Q3, CO PRODUCED OVER 365,000 VEHICLES AND DELIVERED OVER 343,000 VEHICLES
* Q3 MODEL S/X PRODUCTION 19,935 UNITS
* Q3 MODEL 3/Y PRODUCTION 345,988 UNITS
* Q3 MODEL S/X DELIVERIES 18,672 UNITS
* Q3 MODEL 3/Y DELIVERIES 325,158 UNITS
* IN Q3, CO BEGAN TRANSITIONING TO MORE EVEN REGIONAL MIX OF VEHICLE BUILDS EACH WEEK, WHICH LED TO INCREASE IN CARS IN TRANSIT AT THE END QUARTER

'CRAZY WAVE OF DELIVERIES'

Tesla delivered 343,830 electric vehicles, a record for the world's most valuable automaker, but less than the 359,162 analysts on average had expected, according to Refinitiv. A year earlier Tesla delivered 241,300 units.

The latest deliveries fell short of Tesla's production of 365,923 vehicles, which is rare for the automaker which has seen its deliveries higher or similar to production in many of recent quarters.

"As our production volumes continue to grow, it is becoming increasingly challenging to secure vehicle transportation capacity and at a reasonable cost during these peak logistics weeks," Tesla said in a statement on Sunday.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said on Sunday "Smoothing out crazy end of quarter delivery wave to reduce expedite costs & relieve stress on Tesla team."

Last year, he said Tesla is having a "crazy wave" of deliveries at the end of each quarter, because its Shanghai factory makes cars for exports to Europe and other countries in the first half of a quarter and then cars to be sold in China.

Tesla again asked employees to help deliver "a very high volume of vehicles to eagerly waiting customers during the final days of Q3" in California, according to an email seen by Reuters.

Tesla on Sunday said it has "began transitioning to a more even regional mix of vehicle builds each week, which led to an increase in cars in transit at the end of the quarter."

Q4 DELIVERY PUSH

Tesla set an ambitious target to produce almost 495,000 Model Y and Model 3s in the fourth quarter of this year, internal plans reviewed by Reuters show.

The company's production ambitions come against the backdrop of increasingly gloomy outlook for global growth, with Musk himself telling top managers in June he had a "super bad feeling" about the economy and planned to cut staff.

During a conference call in July, Musk said at first that macroeconomic uncertainty might have some impact on demand for its electric vehicles, but when pressed for details by an analyst, he said the company did not have a demand problem but a production problem.

The automaker expanded production capacity in Shanghai after a resurgence in COVID-19 cases forced a suspension at the plant and fueled the first dip in deliveries after a nearly two-year-long record run.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk Says Aiming For Steadier Deliveries Intra-Quarter - Tweet 1:26 PM ET 10/2/2022

All done! ceramic coat, PPF and tint all over a 2 day span. The guy also threw in some PPF protection for my door corners and top bumper free! Extremely happy with results. FYI I had 15% tint on driver/passenger doors and 5% back doors and rear window
E9DA6136-6D7E-4140-8C34-866405B62B6A.jpeg
2C4DDAF8-4835-4ED7-91CC-6BEAD7A47160.jpeg
CA55DE6B-F58D-4D17-97C2-C120F1D46D14.jpeg

Reporting back after 6000 miles and two very long road trips to say I really love this car. I did however, decide a Model Y was a better fit for our family and ordered one last night. Slightly sad because I love how this car looks and think the Model Y is inferior in the looks department, but it will be much more functional for our family.

I will add an observation from my most recent road trop from PA to FL. I paid 200 bucks to try out FSD for a month for the long trip. I obviously did not have access to FSD but could use all of the enhanced autopilot features. In my opinion I would not pay 15K for FSD or 6K for enhanced autopilot (or really I don't think I'd pay 1K for enhanced autopilot right now). It's completely not worth it. The ONLY feature I found useful was auto lane change, which is great. Navigate on Autopilot is a novelty at best and really not useful. There were so many times where the car would decide it needed a lane change and then just sit there with its blinker on. I'm not sure if it was waiting to detect me on the wheel or didn't think it was safe yet, but it just turned me into a really annoying driver to everyone else (auto lane change with the turn signal did not do this). Then there are the times where the car decides your current speed isn't good and will slam on the brakes (figuratively) to slow down 10-15 mph. And stoplight detection? Hope you're not driving on any roads with flashing yellow lights, cause it will try to stop for those. I found I had to manage the car more using the enhanced autopilot features. Anyway, rant over, it's still a great car.

I did however, decide a Model Y was a better fit for our family and ordered one last night. Slightly sad because I love how this car looks and think the Model Y is inferior in the looks department, but it will be much more functional for our family.
I skipped the Model Y primarily because of its looks. But for a family, I'd also go with the Model Y and get used to the looks. I'm still waiting for a small electric truck. I might have gone with the Rivian R1T (not small, but still appealing), but I'm not going to be quite that early an adopter of any vehicle.
In my opinion I would not pay 15K for FSD or 6K for enhanced autopilot (or really I don't think I'd pay 1K for enhanced autopilot right now). It's completely not worth it. The ONLY feature I found useful was auto lane change, which is great. Navigate on Autopilot is a novelty at best and really not useful. There were so many times where the car would decide it needed a lane change and then just sit there with its blinker on.
It's too late now, but the solution is to turn on auto lane change confirmation. It makes Navigate usable.
That's why I turned on confirmation. Until you confirm the lane change, the blinker doesn't turn on. Without confirmation, it's just a mess. Here's a guy talking about the various settings. Video from a year ago.

I skipped the Model Y primarily because of its looks. But for a family, I'd also go with the Model Y and get used to the looks.
It's growing on me. On my most recent trip we stopped next to a red model Y at a supercharger. The guy let me poke around it and take a look at the trunk and in the frunk. I think the red with the darker wheels actually looks pretty good, the black trim certainly helps. I'm going to go test drive one later this week to be sure it's what we want, but I think the added storage and the third row will be an easy win over the slightly odd looks.

Reactions: JB47394
All done! ceramic coat, PPF and tint all over a 2 day span. The guy also threw in some PPF protection for my door corners and top bumper free! Extremely happy with results. FYI I had 15% tint on driver/passenger doors and 5% back doors and rear window View attachment 859461View attachment 859462View attachment 859463
what did all that set you back?

I have my tint appt Friday to do all the glass. Probably 70 on the windshield, 5% on back door windows, something around 30% on front doors, and trying to decide on a 5% or 20-ish rear window. is the rear window hard to see out of at night?

Rant warning. I need a place to vent!

Going on 2 weeks now of having a VIN assigned but without even getting the text to schedule delivery. Still have 6-7 day EDDs that keep getting progressively pushed back as their start days come and go, just like in the pre-VIN bad days.

I understand (from the above post) that they were/are having difficulties arranging for transport for vehicles from the factory, but I'm getting frustrated and the whole process is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth.

Why can't the let me know what is going on? Why can't they tell me they are having difficulties with transport? (why do I have to find that out from some random post on a fan forum? Just like the EAP snafu?). I wouldn't mind if the delivery day was a while from now IF I actually had a scheduled, confirmed date and not this auto-generated EDD moving target again.

I know this is just Tesla's MO, but it's just so aggravating to ask for updates from the SAs, only to be met with silence. When I call, I get a friendly rep who basically gives me no information and refers to the EDD in the app. Sometimes I wonder if my car even actually exists despite the VIN...

I must be one of the last April orders remaining. Would it be so hard to prioritize my order in that case? Why did it seem like so many other California orders, with order dates from May to August, and from the Bay to LA/Orange, got their cars over the past 2 weeks? It's not like I'm way out in some rural area near the Nevada border or something...I just feel like they keep placing my order at the bottom of the pile and it's really starting to get to me despite my best efforts at staying patient. Just seems weird to me they'd leave a finished car on their factory lot for like 12 days now.

I know this is a first-world problem, and I feel bad for whining, but the constant delays are starting to cost me real money in terms of interest rate increases and falling used-car prices. Combined with the very opaque status of what's going on, nonexistant communication, and constant wonder of when I'll actually get my car, just starting to feel down about the whole thing.

Anyway, thank for your listening to my rant. Needed to get that off my chest.

what did all that set you back?

I have my tint appt Friday to do all the glass. Probably 70 on the windshield, 5% on back door windows, something around 30% on front doors, and trying to decide on a 5% or 20-ish rear window. is the rear window hard to see out of at night?

For everything it was about $4000. That was for full frontal PPF, Lifetime ceramic coating warranty and full ceramic tint. At night it’s definitely hard to see out the back since 5% is limo tint, but it’s fine. My 15% driver/passenger windows are quite dark as well and if I need to parallel park I need to pull the windows down. 20% rear window isn’t enough privacy for me as people can still see your silouette

Reactions: SpencerR
Rant warning. I need a place to vent!

Going on 2 weeks now of having a VIN assigned but without even getting the text to schedule delivery. Still have 6-7 day EDDs that keep getting progressively pushed back as their start days come and go, just like in the pre-VIN bad days.

I understand (from the above post) that they were/are having difficulties arranging for transport for vehicles from the factory, but I'm getting frustrated and the whole process is leaving a very bad taste in my mouth.

Why can't the let me know what is going on? Why can't they tell me they are having difficulties with transport? (why do I have to find that out from some random post on a fan forum? Just like the EAP snafu?). I wouldn't mind if the delivery day was a while from now IF I actually had a scheduled, confirmed date and not this auto-generated EDD moving target again.

I know this is just Tesla's MO, but it's just so aggravating to ask for updates from the SAs, only to be met with silence. When I call, I get a friendly rep who basically gives me no information and refers to the EDD in the app. Sometimes I wonder if my car even actually exists despite the VIN...

I must be one of the last April orders remaining. Would it be so hard to prioritize my order in that case? Why did it seem like so many other California orders, with order dates from May to August, and from the Bay to LA/Orange, got their cars over the past 2 weeks? It's not like I'm way out in some rural area near the Nevada border or something...I just feel like they keep placing my order at the bottom of the pile and it's really starting to get to me despite my best efforts at staying patient. Just seems weird to me they'd leave a finished car on their factory lot for like 12 days now.

I know this is a first-world problem, and I feel bad for whining, but the constant delays are starting to cost me real money in terms of interest rate increases and falling used-car prices. Combined with the very opaque status of what's going on, nonexistant communication, and constant wonder of when I'll actually get my car, just starting to feel down about the whole thing.

Anyway, thank for your listening to my rant. Needed to get that off my chest.
Yeah its really hard to say what's going on. You definitely got screwed (like me) with the whole EAP thing. Likely you will be part of the October cleanup that comes now that the quarter is over. The only thing I can think of (and it is pure speculation) is Tesla prioritized newer deliveries since that would make more money. I guess they figured that if they can only deliver 1 car might as well be a newer order and make a few $$ over yours. You have a VIN though which means that you do have a car. How far are you from the factory? In the last week they really prioritize deliveries within a few (1-3 hours) from the factory since they can drop those off at the home.

Reactions: Gydgyxgocgk
Yeah its really hard to say what's going on. You definitely got screwed (like me) with the whole EAP thing. Likely you will be part of the October cleanup that comes now that the quarter is over. The only thing I can think of (and it is pure speculation) is Tesla prioritized newer deliveries since that would make more money. I guess they figured that if they can only deliver 1 car might as well be a newer order and make a few $$ over yours. You have a VIN though which means that you do have a car. How far are you from the factory? In the last week they really prioritize deliveries within a few (1-3 hours) from the factory since they can drop those off at the home.
Your guess is as good as mine. I’m about 5-6 hours away so maybe outside of their last week push range?

Just wish then if that was the case the EDD would reflect that instead of constantly saying “your car is arriving tomorrow!”

Oh well. In hindsight I wish I would have cancelled EAP when you did instead of going with “wait and see” for a few weeks

Do you have any evidence that the car was offered with a mobile connector? Without that, you're going to be hard pressed to convince anyone at Tesla that they screwed up.
Yes thankfully i did have evidence and actually i pointed out to them as well any demo model vehicle i selected in model 3s range they were selling as new said they came with a mobile connector, when my mobile service advisor came today and replaced my one of my cameras for me as it had somehow gotten water damaged, they left me a free mobile connector! if anyone orders a Demo Model and does not receive a charger! show them a screen shot before you place the order like i did in this picture and they honored the free charger

Attachments

• IMG_3532.JPG
    IMG_3532.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 49
For the curious, here's an article on it

Tesla announces it's moving away from ultrasonic sensors in favor of 'Tesla Vision'

Why is it not cool? The camera-only vehicles will still support all the same features - and if you're in an accident, the vehicle without ultrasonic sensors will be cheaper to repair.
Wow. I’m sure vision is enough for a large number of cases, but it is without a doubt that vision cannot sense unexpected objects like a random box left in a parking lot. It can’t see that from the camera alone today

Wow. I’m sure vision is enough for a large number of cases, but it is without a doubt that vision cannot sense unexpected objects like a random box left in a parking lot. It can’t see that from the camera alone today
According to Tesla, their occupancy network stuff is designed to detect the presence of miscellaneous objects without having to classify them. So it's supposed to be able to detect random junk in the road. I recall one technical presentation showing the outriggers from a utility truck. They're not classified as anything specific so it won't show on the screen in the car, but the car does know that something is there. Tesla simply cannot allow their cars to start smacking into objects. They have 160,000 testers out there who will start making the company look really bad really fast if the car screws up even one significant case. They must have enough confidence in the vision system to abandon the ultrasound sensors.

Reactions: ZZ118
For the curious, here's an article on it

Tesla announces it's moving away from ultrasonic sensors in favor of 'Tesla Vision'

Why is it not cool? The camera-only vehicles will still support all the same features - and if you're in an accident, the vehicle without ultrasonic sensors will be cheaper to repair.
Primarily because I’m still hesitant to believe that their cameras are enough to detect things such as snow covered objects which basically looks the same as the ground which an uss would detect.

But most of all, if they are convinced this works this well they should’ve made it work from the get go. If I remember correctly when they took out radar it took several months before the functionality was restored.

Reactions: JB47394
Primarily because I’m still hesitant to believe that their cameras are enough to detect things such as snow covered objects which basically looks the same as the ground which an uss would detect.
Ultrasonics don't normally see through snow because of its tendency to absorb sound. Ground penetrating radar can see through snow, and MIT was playing with it for self-driving cars.
But most of all, if they are convinced this works this well they should’ve made it work from the get go. If I remember correctly when they took out radar it took several months before the functionality was restored.
The software hasn't worked well enough to replace the ultrasonics until now. They've got a lot of talent improving and updating it. The critical system only came into being recently (occupancy networks). But I agree that taking out functionality is badness, even if temporarily.