Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend is in the same boat but I don't think this will go anywhere. I had a bit of a gripe with them offering me the free supercharging that ended on a given day. So I charged that last day but they said the free supercharging ended at 12:00am on the date stated, not at 11:59:59pm (end of that day). And they would not budge on ~$20 of charging. So I don't see them doing anything to offer any kind of compensation...

Ordered my M3LR (MSM with 18" aero wheels) on 1/26 from existing inventory and got my VIN the same day. I completed all the financing and other paperwork in the app and got an EDD of 2/6 to 2/15. Just scheduled my delivery for 2/8 and can't wait to pick up my new ride!
I'm in a similar situation. Ordered my M3LR on 1/25. Received a VIN within minutes. After all paperwork, received an EDD of 2/7 to 2/15. Still anxiously awaiting the opportunity to schedule the delivery. I'm checking the app every hour! Also noticed the M3LR inventory has dried up, though I did see a Performance available in Miami, FL area.

Out of curiosity, how did you check national inventory. I know how to type in a zip code, with a 200-mile search, but is there another way to see the entire U.S.?
I know of no way to get the Tesla site to list all vehicle nationwide in a single search. But there are third-party aggregators.

tesla-info.com is one resource.

It's not lock-step with the Tesla site, but it's a simple way to look nationwide. I just followed that link and got two vehicles. One in Florida and one in Illinois. I went to the Tesla site and looked in each area and found three in each. Then I refreshed tesla-info to see if it caught up and it showed no vehicles.

ev-cpo.com is another resource.

Same deal. It showed two vehicles.

teslainventory.teslastats.no is the last one I could find

Again, incomplete information, where they show the three in Florida, and one in Illinois.

Note that there are two new Model 3 Long Range for sale by Tesla in the Philadelphia area, and none of the above sites were listing them.

I'm in a similar situation. Ordered my M3LR on 1/25. Received a VIN within minutes. After all paperwork, received an EDD of 2/7 to 2/15. Still anxiously awaiting the opportunity to schedule the delivery. I'm checking the app every hour! Also noticed the M3LR inventory has dried up, though I did see a Performance available in Miami, FL area.
I was furiously checking my app for awhile too. The day after I stopped, I got the scheduling email and text back to back. I'm sure you'll get your soon seeing as how we're both on the east coast. Noticed that inventory has dried up too. Glad we got our orders in when we did!

Reactions: Steamer
Out of curiosity, how did you check national inventory. I know how to type in a zip code, with a 200-mile search, but is there another way to see the entire U.S.?
Yes, I used Tesla buyers guides, worldwide inventory and support for owners. The cool thing is that you can set up instant inventory notifications via the telegram app. I checked my phone at 4am this morning and had just received a notification of a M3P in stock at the dealership nearest me. Pulled out my credit card and had a confirmation and VIN in 5 mins with a Feb 14 - Feb 20 delivery date. Went back, or tried to go back to bed.

Hi all, new here but I've been spending far too much time trying to figure out what's going on with the M3LRs and want to see if anyone here has insights to share. Here's the deal: after realizing the exact model I wanted is almost never available in my area, I ordered a custom 2023 M3LR on 1/30 (manual workaround by an SA) and received an EDD of 3/29 - 3/31. Today, that EDD updated to 4/18 - 5/30. I ordered a black/black model with 18" wheels and live in WA.

I've been watching the LR inventory like a hawk since January. In mid to late January, there was a decent influx of LRs hitting inventory pretty regularly. Since then, inventory has been reduced to a trickle, if not dried up altogether. Any new LRs added to inventory appear to be one offs likely resulting from a cancelled custom order. The most recent build date I saw for a new LR was 1/24/2023. For the past 3 or so weeks, inventory has been inundated with demo LRs; as best as I can tell, the last time Tesla sold off demo vehicles en masse was when supply couldn't keep up with demand. There has been a lot of speculation online about why we're seeing such sparse inventory:
  1. One theory is that the M3LR has the lowest profit margin of all Tesla models, and by making so few readily available, it pushes buyers to the other trims or the MY.
  2. Tesla is still working through the order backlog which allegedly led to the M3LR being temporarily removed as a trim option in the US back in I believe August 2022.
  3. Due to sharing the same battery packs with the immensely popular and more profitable MY, M3LR battery packs are being diverted to those vehicles instead.
  4. And lastly, there is a lot of chatter about Project Highland and what it might mean for LRs. This theory suggests that Tesla is clearing out this version of the M3LR to make way for a refreshed version very soon. If the last LRs were built on 1/24, it's possible they took that line out of commission to update it. However, many don't believe we'll see Highland models before Q3 2023 or later.
I wonder if we can glean anything from the EDDs I've received thus far. My first thought is there may be something to the Highland theory after all. Considering production of the LRs was already limited, Tesla implementing these changes on that line first likely has the least impact on revenue. Investor Day on 3/1 will probably shed light on the reason behind the LR shortage, but until then, does anyone have any thoughts for me to chew on?

Reactions: tm3lrawd
until then, does anyone have any thoughts for me to chew on?
Tesla Investor Day is on March 1. Just hang out for a couple weeks to find out what Tesla has to say. Until then, it's just speculation and rumors. I'm sure the speculation and rumors will continue after Investor Day, but you might get the answers to your questions.

As more speculation, Connecting The Dots thinks that Highland may refer in some way to Ford's Highland Park plant, which was the first "machine that makes the machines". It took raw materials in at one end and spit vehicles out the other. If that's what Highland is, Tesla may be planning to structure the Model 3 Long Range line to use some new approach to building cars that mimics the Ford plant. I've been a bit surprised that the gigacasting approach hasn't been applied to the Model 3 line.

Hi everyone - long time listener, first time caller.

Did the process of upgrading a base model to LR AWD... drdered a M3 RWD on 2/8 (had a VIN in about 15 minutes - but that wasn't the car I wanted), had the sales team in Minneapolis change it to a LR AWD.

Originally had an estimate of 2/13-2/22. Yesterday it changed to February - March 2023. Already have my plug in the garage ready to go (previously had a Mach-E GT, but the range was atrocious - stereo sucked, too).

Getting excited - hopefully make the end of March!

As more speculation, Connecting The Dots thinks that Highland may refer in some way to Ford's Highland Park plant, which was the first "machine that makes the machines". It took raw materials in at one end and spit vehicles out the other. If that's what Highland is, Tesla may be planning to structure the Model 3 Long Range line to use some new approach to building cars that mimics the Ford plant. I've been a bit surprised that the gigacasting approach hasn't been applied to the Model 3 line.

Thanks for the video link! Fascinating stuff. I would not be at all surprised if Elon is aiming much higher than people think. He didn't elevate Tesla to its current level of success by coloring inside the lines, so this potential connection to Ford's Highland Park certainly aligns with his MO.

Originally had an estimate of 2/13-2/22. Yesterday it changed to February - March 2023.
This is interesting given you placed your order over a week after me, but were given EDDs weeks ahead of mine (order placed on 1/30, initial EDD of 3/29-3/31, updated to 4/18-5/30 yesterday). I have read that Tesla prioritizes orders further east first since they have the longest transit time, but I'm not sure that would fully explain the weeks of difference between our dates. To be honest, I'll be surprised if either of us get a vehicle by the end of March unless we get matched up with someone else's cancellation. And at this point, I'm not sure I mind the additional wait if it means I get a refreshed version.

Ordered my M3LR on 1/25. Received a VIN within minutes. After all paperwork, received an EDD of 2/7 to 2/15. A week later the EDD shifted right to 2/11-2/17. On 2/10 I was able to select a pick-up of 2/21. I'm a NC order.

UPDATE: Minutes after posting this, I checked my phone and received a text stating that my vehicle is on site, and that I could reschedule the pick-up to an earlier date. Unfortunately, I get a "No appointments available" message. Now I have to wait another six days, knowing it's just sitting there.

Last edited:
This is interesting given you placed your order over a week after me, but were given EDDs weeks ahead of mine (order placed on 1/30, initial EDD of 3/29-3/31, updated to 4/18-5/30 yesterday). I have read that Tesla prioritizes orders further east first since they have the longest transit time, but I'm not sure that would fully explain the weeks of difference between our dates. To be honest, I'll be surprised if either of us get a vehicle by the end of March unless we get matched up with someone else's cancellation. And at this point, I'm not sure I mind the additional wait if it means I get a refreshed version.
Dunno... mine is blue with the bigger wheels, not sure if that helps my cause or not.

Hey gang. I have been away for a while. Has everyone who ordered a M3LR last year before the cutoff taken delivery?
Took delivery yesterday in Raleigh, NC. Ordered 1/25. The delivery center was crazy busy! I was there from 2:00pm until my appt at 5:20. I watched 20-25 cars go to customers (almost 100% MY). Asked a gentlemen working how many they pushed out, and he said. “79 today, 87 yesterday.” He mentioned that they’re averaging approx 70 a day the past two weeks.

Reactions: guerro
Guys and gals, this is for those of you that haven't yet had the experience of driving a Model 3. Of course this is just my opinion and your mileage may vary but...

I got a call about a week ago that I could schedule a test drive at the Atlanta/Avalon store. Of course I snatched up the opportunity. Yesterday was my day. I spent about an hour with the staff there and my experience was literally everything I could hope for. The staff was knowledgeable, friendly, totally non pressure and I had a blast. A special shout out to Megan Hannon who was assigned to show me around the car. She was fabulous.

The only disappointment on the day was that I had thought that it would be in a Performance model but their two demo cars were both RWD long range models. That disappointment melted away as soon as I got in the car. I won't waste your time on the specs or my impressions because they have all been stated and restated numerous times on this forum. The one thing that I will say is that I am glad this was a RWD because it quickly showed me that the added acceleration of the Performance model is only relevant to the speed junkies out there. This RWD had more acceleration than anyone could ever want/need in daily driving. Absolutely breathtaking. I got to use autopilot on the highway which is a huge feature for me. Blown away. Just a fabulous experience all the way around.

If there was a negative, (and it really wasn't a surprise for me since I had sat in a Model 3 before) it is the rear seat leg and foot room. I know people have said that a 6' plus passenger can fit behind a 6' plus driver without a problem but in practice, at least for me, that is not going to be the case. Yes they could fit but I sure wouldn't want to be that passenger for more than a short trip down the road. For me, this is not a problem since I will rarely have an adult passenger in the back and to be clear, if they were sitting behind my 5'7" wife they would be fine. Megan was also 5'7" so I had her adjust her seat for her comfort and then got in the back behind her with no problem (I'm 6'2").

On the whole, it was a fantastic afternoon. I can't thank the staff enough. They answered all my questions in a completely relaxed, no pressure environment. Again, a HUGE shout out to Megan for walking me through this first experience with the car. Professional, courteous, funny, and completely dedicated to educating me in any and all things that I might have had a question about.

Those of you in the Atlanta area, be sure to take advantage of test driving a Model 3, or any other Tesla, at the Avalon store. They are great people. Only thing that really sucks is that now the wait for my car just became even more difficult!

Dan
We are in the same area and plan to test drive at Avalon as well. Just wondering if you took delivery on your vehicle? Did you use a credit union? What Tesla you chose?

We are looking at ordering a Tesla Model 3. First time electric owners . We contacted a SA and they stated that both people on the loan have to be present at pick up to sign paperwork. They said you can use a third party loan/CU to get around this and just have one on the Registration. My husband travels a bunch and doesn't DO car dealerships. He hasn't been present the last 5 vehicles we purchased. I LOVE the process and he HATES the process and just wants the car delivered to him. I was wondering what PAPERWORK you sign on the day of delivery as well as if anyone has been in a similar situation and what bank/credit union will accommodate this? I just know our delivery date will be when he is traveling. Our area in ATL doesn't support driveway delivery. I really wished Tesla would be more advanced then they are...

We are looking at ordering a Tesla Model 3. First time electric owners . We contacted a SA and they stated that both people on the loan have to be present at pick up to sign paperwork. They said you can use a third party loan/CU to get around this and just have one on the Registration. My husband travels a bunch and doesn't DO car dealerships. He hasn't been present the last 5 vehicles we purchased. I LOVE the process and he HATES the process and just wants the car delivered to him. I was wondering what PAPERWORK you sign on the day of delivery as well as if anyone has been in a similar situation and what bank/credit union will accommodate this? I just know our delivery date will be when he is traveling. Our area in ATL doesn't support driveway delivery. I really wished Tesla would be more advanced then they are...
You can use whatever financial institution you'd like if you're financing. You would simply work with the financial institution on the loan and they send you the check directly and you bring that with you to pickup the Tesla. Vehicle pickup is incredibly quick. There is little paperwork to sign and the longest part of delivery is vehicle presentation/SA setup should you need it. You can reasonably be in and out in under 30 minutes if you don't need the vehicle presentation/SA setup.