Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR - No AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a preowned LR Model 3 late last year without AP enabled. Given that it’s now included with the car, i would imagine I’ll take a hit in the future when i sell the car, which makes me wonder if it’s worth just adding it now (versus taking the hit later)?

I don’t have AP on my car and have no need for it. I did not pay for it so when I go to sell the car I can sell it for $3K less than someone who bought it and still come out even. AP is something you either like or you don’t. I would rather just drive the car myself personally but if you think you would use it then I would buy it to enjoy it, not because of resale concerns.

Reactions: duanra
Much of my typical driving doesn't lend itself to autopilot, so I didn't get it either. If there's another sale at $1,500-$2,000 I'm in.
However, my theory is that in all likelihood, I'll trade my car into Tesla for another one in 3 years or so. By that point, I think basic autopilot will either have been deeply discounted or updated for free as FSD takes over and it stops making sense to design software around an ever-decreasing percentage of non-autopilot enabled vehicles. Even if that doesn't happen, my sense is that Tesla will be more interested in my condition/mileage/hardware specs - things that can't be easily changed. It's an interesting question: It's easy to say that they'd pay less for a car without autopilot, BUT - I also doubt they would pay MORE for a car with autopilot when they could easily add it for free.

Reactions: MagnusMako
I picked up a preowned LR Model 3 late last year without AP enabled. Given that it’s now included with the car, i would imagine I’ll take a hit in the future when i sell the car, which makes me wonder if it’s worth just adding it now (versus taking the hit later)?

You should very seriously consider adding it for your own purposes, and yes, you'll get some of that back when you sell the car.
The risk is the next buyer might debit your future price with the cost of adding AP to it, or that you have only a small pool of potential buyers that want a Tesla without having AP.

Getting TACC and Autosteer improves safety and range, and reduces the chance you'll be pulled over for speeding.
It also make the car more pleasant to drive, especially for long distances.

You will never get back the full cost of AP. You'll get back some %, for accessories its usually a 50% loss. AP is a harder one to give a number to since it's software, but we know the new owner can always buy AP themselves, so I don't see it working against you if you don't get it.

You won't take a hit, because you didn't pay for it. The car's value will be less, but then again, you already paid less for it.
It's like any car, if there is a A, B, and C model (C being the most expensive) then A will always be less than C. In most cases, the differential decreases.

Reactions: tvad