Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR RWD - One Year In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PoitNarf

My dog's breath smells like dog food
Jun 7, 2016
NJ
One year ago today I picked up my Model 3 LR RWD from Tesla and I haven't regretted my decision at all since then. This is without a doubt the best car I have ever owned. I will never be going back to ICE again.

I've got a pretty low VIN in the 7000s and was probably among the first Tesla non-owners in NJ to receive their Model 3. Being that my Model 3 was built very early in the production ramp I was prepared for some issues. I've definitely had my fair share but Tesla was very quick to fix all of my issues, many of which were minor.

The sheer amount of software updates that my Model 3 has received since I got it is quite staggering. I'm sure I'll miss a few things but these are all of the software features or tweaks I can think of that were introduced after I received my Model 3 one year ago:
  • Summon
  • Rear seat heaters (GUI to turn these on did not exist when I got my car)
  • Wi-Fi (could only connect to LTE when I got my car)
  • Dog Mode
  • Sentry Mode
  • TeslaCam dash camera
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Control following distance from scroll wheel (you had to do this from the touch screen when I first got my car)
  • 5% peak power increase
  • 5% range increase
  • Automatic hi-beam
  • Showing vehicles in adjacent lanes on the touchscreen
  • Show different types of vehicles as well as pedestrians and bicycles on the touchscreen
  • Cabin overheat protection
  • Lock/unlock confirmation beep
  • PIN to drive
  • Tesla account credentials required to disable mobile access
  • Atari games
  • Send addresses to navigation from phone
  • Initiate software updates from Tesla mobile app
  • Media controls from Tesla mobile app
  • Set rear seats as child seats to disable seat belt warnings
  • Redesign of "cards" for wipers / tire pressure on screen
  • App launcher including web browser, calendar integration and energy graph
  • Blind spot monitoring
  • Updated HVAC interface
  • Add/remove key cards yourself
  • Cold weather improvements (charge port locking behavior and battery warming)
  • Romance mode
  • Emissions testing mode (farts)
  • Location based automatic mirror folding
As you can see that list is quite impressive. Anyway, that's all of the good. Here are all of the issues I've experienced, all of which have been fixed though:
  • Charge port door replaced two times
    • 1st due to water intrusion from washing my car causing the door to randomly open and close on its own
    • 2nd due to a weird charging error I received when I was plugged in to a public charger and also the diamond plastic piece fell off
  • Aero shield replaced
    • Drove through a puddle and part of the aero shield ripped; several others here have experienced the same thing
  • Rear tail lights replaced due to condensation build up
  • Passenger mirror assembly replaced because the black triangle piece on it had come loose and was causing lots of wind noise
  • Prolonged period of time where the audio output from the subwoofer was subpar or non-existant; software updates seem to have resolved this
As I mentioned I was prepared to deal with a few issues since my Model 3 was such an early build. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't change a thing. This past year with my Model 3 has been absolutely fantastic and I look forward to driving it for many more years to come.

One year ago today I picked up my Model 3 LR RWD from Tesla and I haven't regretted my decision at all since then. This is without a doubt the best car I have ever owned. I will never be going back to ICE again.

I've got a pretty low VIN in the 7000s and was probably among the first Tesla non-owners in NJ to receive their Model 3. Being that my Model 3 was built very early in the production ramp I was prepared for some issues. I've definitely had my fair share but Tesla was very quick to fix all of my issues, many of which were minor.

The sheer amount of software updates that my Model 3 has received since I got it is quite staggering. I'm sure I'll miss a few things but these are all of the software features or tweaks I can think of that were introduced after I received my Model 3 one year ago:
  • Summon
  • Dog Mode
  • Sentry Mode
  • TeslaCam dash camera
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Control following distance from scroll wheel (you had to do this from the touch screen when I first got my car)
  • 5% peak power increase
  • 5% range increase
  • Automatic hi-beam
  • Show different types of vehicles as well as pedestrians and bicycles on the touchscreen
  • PIN to drive
  • Atari games
  • Blind spot monitoring
  • Updated HVAC interface
  • Romance mode
As you can see that list is quite impressive. Anyway, that's all of the good. Here are all of the issues I've experienced, all of which have been fixed though:
  • Charge port door replaced two times
    • 1st due to water intrusion from washing my car causing the door to randomly open and close on its own
    • 2nd due to a weird charging error I received when I was plugged in to a public charger and also the diamond plastic piece fell off
  • Aero shield replaced
    • Drove through a puddle and part of the aero shield ripped; several others here have experienced the same thing
  • Rear tail lights replaced due to condensation build up
  • Passenger mirror assembly replaced because the black triangle piece on it had come loose and was causing lots of wind noise
  • Prolonged period of time where the audio output from the subwoofer was subpar or non-existant; software updates seem to have resolved this
As I mentioned I was prepared to deal with a few issues since my Model 3 was such an early build. If I knew then what I know now I wouldn't change a thing. This past year with my Model 3 has been absolutely fantastic and I look forward to driving it for many more years to come.
What's your lifetime efficiency so far?

Heh, not the best... 268 Wh/mi I believe at the moment. Should start ticking down now that's it's warming up here. I doubt I'll ever get it below 250 Wh/mi because I just enjoy mashing on the accelerator way too much!

Wow and that's with the aero's?!?! You must really love to punch it. I'm on the sport wheels and i'm at 249 Wh/mi and I like to punch it too. Then again, 80% of my driving is city streets

Heh, not the best... 268 Wh/mi I believe at the moment. Should start ticking down now that's it's warming up here. I doubt I'll ever get it below 250 Wh/mi because I just enjoy mashing on the accelerator way too much!
Wow you really do enjoy mashing that accelerator. After 10 months and 12k miles my average is 221 wh/mi. But I also don't ever use the heater.

• Informative
Reactions: kjyam98
Great write up PoitNarf. I'm VIN #8xxx and my anniversary is next week.
Some additional software updates
-Speed limit mode
-Automatic Wipers
-Heated Rear seats now remember last setting
-Display now shows Time/Temperature on left side so it's more easily read
-Nearby Chargers now show on the remote app
-Keep Climate On

I'm sure there are others which makes owning a Model 3 so enjoyable

Only 1 service call to replace a camera.

Reactions: PoitNarf

Don’t get me wrong, I love the car, and I’m glad your happy with it, but....
  • Summon
To risky
Bug, should have worked on day one.
Bug
  • Dog Mode
I would never trust the life of my dogs that AC will stay on in the sun.
  • Sentry Mode
Great if it didn’t have to unnecessarily eat battery while enabled. Useless because of that. No need radio amps and pumps need to be running to enable cameras.
  • TeslaCam dash camera
Gosh the videos are bad. Barely usable. And that assumes the USB didn’t corrupt. I can’t do music on USB and dash cam.
  • Navigate on Autopilot
All this added is lane suggestion. And can slam on brakes any time and merges poorly
I personally rarely ever change it, but I know some people need to.
  • 5% peak power increase
Nice
  • 5% range increase
Nice, but the distance the car can actually travel did not change. The software just matches closer to the average of what people get on the RWD LR.
  • Automatic hi-beam
Nice if it worked. Works horrendous, so does auto wipers.
Nice if they would stop bouncing.
When it’s right it’s nice.
Don’t use it. I have enough things eating my battery.
All cars have that
  • PIN to drive
Personally never use, but I can see some folks wanting it.
  • Atari games
Could care less
Lots of cars have that.
I do like this one.
Never used.
Nice for those that need it.
Wish the browser would work better. Energy app is nice.
  • Blind spot monitoring
Really should be called blind spot collision alert. I prefer a preemptive warning rather than immanent collision.
  • Updated HVAC interface
I actually prefer the older UI
Cool
Gosh, worst update nightmare. Part of the reason my battery is eaten. I absolutely hate that update.
  • Romance mode
Could care less
Could care less
Nice for folks that need it.

So about what, 5 useful updates in a year, with a heck of a lot of new bugs. I’m hoping the next year is better and I wish they would focus more on bugs than features.

Last edited:
#014XXX, LR RWD, 24,318 miles, and so far my only repairs have been the left headlights' upper signature light, both frunk actuators, and a pair of rear tires that only made it 16,000 miles with me. I got my car last May 8th, and when winter was beginning I was at 225 wh/mile lifetime average, now after a winter of running the heater I'm at about 258 wh/mile lifetime average.

Reactions: mswlogo
@PoitNarf I wonder if my car and your car were on the same truck. I was told that my car came across via rail to Birmingham AL and then via truck up to NJ and then finally to New England. I picked up tomorrow, one year ago. VIN 68xx.

Lifetime efficiency is 206Wh/mi
Total mileage is ~15,000

Reactions: PoitNarf
Don’t get me wrong, I love the car, and I’m glad your happy with it, but....
  • Summon
To risky
Bug, should have worked on day one.
Bug
  • Dog Mode
I would never trust the life of my dogs that AC will stay on in the sun.
  • Sentry Mode
Great if it didn’t have to unnecessarily eat battery while enabled. Useless because of that. No need radio amps and pumps need to be running to enable cameras.
  • TeslaCam dash camera
Gosh the videos are bad. Barely usable. And that assumes the USB didn’t corrupt. I can’t do music on USB and dash cam.
  • Navigate on Autopilot
All this added is lane suggestion. And can slam on brakes any time and merges poorly
I personally rarely ever change it, but I know some people need to.
  • 5% peak power increase
Nice
  • 5% range increase
Nice, but the distance the car can actually travel did not change. The software just matches closer to the average of what people get on the RWD LR.
  • Automatic hi-beam
Nice if it worked. Works horrendous, so does auto wipers.
Nice if they would stop bouncing.
When it’s right it’s nice.
Don’t use it. I have enough things eating my battery.
All cars have that
  • PIN to drive
Personally never use, but I can see some folks wanting it.
  • Atari games
Could care less
Lots of cars have that.
I do like this one.
Never used.
Nice for those that need it.
Wish the browser would work better. Energy app is nice.
  • Blind spot monitoring
Really should be called blind spot collision alert. I prefer a preemptive warning rather than immanent collision.
  • Updated HVAC interface
I actually prefer the older UI
Cool
Gosh, worst update nightmare. Part of the reason my battery is eaten. I absolutely hate that update.
  • Romance mode
Could care less
Could care less
Nice for folks that need it.

So about what, 5 useful updates in a year, with a heck of a lot of new bugs. I’m hoping the next year is better and I wish they would focus more on bugs than features.

I was more making a point on the sheer amount of added features and improvements Tesla has made to the software in just one year. I don’t really use all of the features I listed. Whether you use the features or find them useful doesn’t negate the fact that they’ve done a ton to the software in a years time. Also you can’t count features missing at launch (WiFi, rear heated seats, etc) as bugs. A bug would imply that the feature isn’t working as designed, not that it’s missing entirely.