Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR Texas —> Colorado Trip & Range Report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks,

I thought I might share a little trip and range report.

We live over in East Texas (Longview, TX area) and took a great trip up to Colorado Springs. I did some research ahead of time to make sure I’d be in a good comfort zone with the ranges on the various legs - and thought this might help someone else.

Conditions were generally 35 degrees to 60 degrees - we never seemed to face a headwind. Probably had a good tailwind on the way home.

We left home topped off to about 90%, which in the Model 3 LR is about 280 miles of range or so. I-20 west and a first stop at the Denton Supercharger. I think we charged about 30 minutes or so. The next stop was Childress, TX. This supercharger is located with a gas station, so there’s bathrooms and refreshments to buy, etc. I believe we arrived with a good 60 miles or so of range.

At Childress we charged pretty close to 100% as the next leg was fairly long. I wanted to make it all the way to Dumas, TX to the Hampton Inn there. There’s destination chargers there and my plan was to charge overnight and be fully charged for the next leg which is Dumas to Trinidad, CO.

Anyway, we made it to Dumas with about 15% of range left. My backup plan was a quick stop in Amarillo at the supercharger if required, but that proved to be unnecessary. My only concern was whether I might get to the hotel and find all the destination chargers in use, or non-operational. But there’s a city owned (I believe) RV lot in Dumas that you could use in a pinch. I believe it has 50amp service. Check chargepoint for details. Anyway, all was good and the destination chargers at the Hampton were available in and in perfect working order. I also called ahead and the front desk said they are not commonly used.

Overnight, we did a 100% charge for the next leg to Trinidad Colorado. As I recall the miles aren’t that bad (186 or so), but I was concerned about the climb in elevation. Leaving Dumas, TX you start climbing. By the time you get to Raton, NM, you’re around 6000 feet or so. Then you have to climb the Raton Pass which tops out around 8200 as I recall. From there, it’s downhill to the Trinidad, CO supercharger. Anyway, I didn’t want to be nervous about the range, so we did a 100% charge which took us to about 307 miles or so of range.

The Model 3 handled the elevation gain with ease. At times I kept the speed reduced slightly. In a 70mph zone, I may have been running about 67 or so. Mostly I watch the range and back off the speed a bit if I feel concerned.

We arrived at Raton, NM with about 70 miles of range as I recall. The climb to the summit is only about 10-15 miles or so, so I knew we’d be okay. And again, with the tremendous torque of the electric motor, the Model 3 climbs Raton Pass like its not even there. Once we crested the pass it’s basically all down hill and you pick up some nice regen.

The supercharger in Trinidad is also at a gas station, so there’s a Wendy’s for some refreshments. I do recall the electricity rate seemed much higher here than in Texas. In any case, the rest of the trip was a non-event, as we easily made it to Colorado Springs and used destination chargers at the hotel where we stayed. We ventured up to Woodland Park a time or two, and again the Model 3’s efficiency was impressive... as was some regeneration on the way down. A nice plus of regeneration is there’s no temptation to ride the brake to keep your downhill speed under control... regen keeps you at a comfortable speed and puts a bit back into the battery.

The trip home from Colorado Springs was even easier - as the trip is basically downhill after you climb the Raton Pass... and I think we were helped by a bit of tailwind.

In any case, maybe this helps somebody else contemplating the same sort of trip.

We found the the range estimates of the navigation system to be spot on.

About the only time (on a different trip) that I’ve found consumption to be significantly higher than predicted was a cold and rainy night... the rain apparently adds a lot of drag. Probably it was windy as well.

Thanks for all the details, also planning a long range trip soon... Is there a recommended site to find hotels with Tesla destination chargers? Do some of the major ones like Hotels.com, Orbitz, etc list those under amenities now, or know which ones do?

Hi folks,

We live over in East Texas (Longview, TX area) and took a great trip up to Colorado Springs. I did some research ahead of time to make sure I’d be in a good comfort zone with the ranges on the various legs - and thought this might help someone else.

Conditions were generally 35 degrees to 60 degrees - we never seemed to face a headwind. Probably had a good tailwind on the way home.

We left home topped off to about 90%, which in the Model 3 LR is about 280 miles of range or so. I-20 west and a first stop at the Denton Supercharger. I think we charged about 30 minutes or so. The next stop was Childress, TX. This supercharger is located with a gas station, so there’s bathrooms and refreshments to buy, etc. I believe we arrived with a good 60 miles or so of range.

At Childress we charged pretty close to 100% as the next leg was fairly long. I wanted to make it all the way to Dumas, TX to the Hampton Inn there. There’s destination chargers there and my plan was to charge overnight and be fully charged for the next leg which is Dumas to Trinidad, CO.

Anyway, we made it to Dumas with about 15% of range left. My backup plan was a quick stop in Amarillo at the supercharger if required, but that proved to be unnecessary. My only concern was whether I might get to the hotel and find all the destination chargers in use, or non-operational. But there’s a city owned (I believe) RV lot in Dumas that you could use in a pinch. I believe it has 50amp service. Check chargepoint for details. Anyway, all was good and the destination chargers at the Hampton were available in and in perfect working order. I also called ahead and the front desk said they are not commonly used.

Overnight, we did a 100% charge for the next leg to Trinidad Colorado. As I recall the miles aren’t that bad (186 or so), but I was concerned about the climb in elevation. Leaving Dumas, TX you start climbing. By the time you get to Raton, NM, you’re around 6000 feet or so. Then you have to climb the Raton Pass which tops out around 8200 as I recall. From there, it’s downhill to the Trinidad, CO supercharger. Anyway, I didn’t want to be nervous about the range, so we did a 100% charge which took us to about 307 miles or so of range.

The Model 3 handled the elevation gain with ease. At times I kept the speed reduced slightly. In a 70mph zone, I may have been running about 67 or so. Mostly I watch the range and back off the speed a bit if I feel concerned.

We arrived at Raton, NM with about 70 miles of range as I recall. The climb to the summit is only about 10-15 miles or so, so I knew we’d be okay. And again, with the tremendous torque of the electric motor, the Model 3 climbs Raton Pass like its not even there. Once we crested the pass it’s basically all down hill and you pick up some nice regen.

The supercharger in Trinidad is also at a gas station, so there’s a Wendy’s for some refreshments. I do recall the electricity rate seemed much higher here than in Texas. In any case, the rest of the trip was a non-event, as we easily made it to Colorado Springs and used destination chargers at the hotel where we stayed. We ventured up to Woodland Park a time or two, and again the Model 3’s efficiency was impressive... as was some regeneration on the way down. A nice plus of regeneration is there’s no temptation to ride the brake to keep your downhill speed under control... regen keeps you at a comfortable speed and puts a bit back into the battery.

The trip home from Colorado Springs was even easier - as the trip is basically downhill after you climb the Raton Pass... and I think we were helped by a bit of tailwind.

In any case, maybe this helps somebody else contemplating the same sort of trip.

About the only time (on a different trip) that I’ve found consumption to be significantly higher than predicted was a cold and rainy night... the rain apparently adds a lot of drag. Probably it was windy as well.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Was that the RWD or AWD Tesla Model 3?

Thank you.

Hi folks,

Great report. And, very helpful for our annual trek to Estes Park -- the first one in our Model 3. We live in the Austin area (Leander), but grew up near Longview (Tatum). I've planned to do exactly what you did. Childress for Supercharge, Dumas for overnight charge, and then nurse it a bit to Trinidad, with a backup plan to get a little juice at one of the several RV NEMA 14-50 plugs near Raton if needed. We typically stay at the hotel in Trinidad right next to the supercharger, ironically, but we'll just be stopping for a top off on the way through with this new Model 3 path we're taking. Thanks for sharing! Very helpful!

Great report. And, very helpful for our annual trek to Estes Park -- the first one in our Model 3. We live in the Austin area (Leander), but grew up near Longview (Tatum). I've planned to do exactly what you did. Childress for Supercharge, Dumas for overnight charge, and then nurse it a bit to Trinidad, with a backup plan to get a little juice at one of the several RV NEMA 14-50 plugs near Raton if needed. We typically stay at the hotel in Trinidad right next to the supercharger, ironically, but we'll just be stopping for a top off on the way through with this new Model 3 path we're taking. Thanks for sharing! Very helpful!

Glad it helped - I found the leg from Dumas to Trinidad to be less stressful than I thought it would be. But I guess in cold weather, or with a strong headwind, it might get a little tight. But like you say, there’s RV Parks to charge in Raton if it feels a bit dicey.

Thank you for sharing. I am a new Tesla driver and I got worried about traveling since I have mid-range. My work commute is about 30 minutes 20 miles, but everytime I go work and return home I spend 64 miles of what is on the screen... so I can hardly go to Austin from San Antonio!!!
Can you tell me what i can learn about the charge it 100%? mine gets only to 232 miles, when I read it was 260

"We found the the range estimates of the navigation system to be spot on." Where you find those estimates?

Thank you for sharing. I am a new Tesla driver and I got worried about traveling since I have mid-range. My work commute is about 30 minutes 20 miles, but everytime I go work and return home I spend 64 miles of what is on the screen... so I can hardly go to Austin from San Antonio!!!
Can you tell me what i can learn about the charge it 100%? mine gets only to 232 miles, when I read it was 260

"We found the the range estimates of the navigation system to be spot on." Where you find those estimates?

Enter a destination in the in car nav, it should show you the expected battery percent at arrival to the destination. For long trips, it will tell you where to stop to charge and expected battery levels at each stop.

I would recommend that you read the manual first. For the range estimates, if you plug in a route in the navigation it will give you estimated rated miles at your destination & back to your starting point, but they are based on how you are driving to some extent (as far as I can tell - I've only used these estimates and paid close attention on a single long drive) so you will see them change as you drive. In any case they generally seemed accurate.

https://www.tesla.com/content/dam/tesla/Ownership/Own/Model 3 Owners Manual.pdf

I'm going to make some assumptions here about what else you're asking/seeing:

Regarding "232 miles" rather than 260...you need to charge to 100% to get about 260 "rated miles" if you want to make a long trip. You don't want to do this charge to 100% routinely though. For everyday use try to keep the battery between 30% and 90% (or so - you don't have to obsess about the exact numbers - charge up as much as you need to charge and discharge as much as you need to; it'll be fine). The idea is just to not leave the battery at 100% for a long time (less than a few hours would be ideal), and to not leave the battery near 0% for any period of time.

If you charged to 100% and you only see 232 miles, that is probably a problem with battery state estimation; try discharging to 20-30% and try again I guess - if it persists talk to Tesla. You can adjust the charge level limit in the car or from the app. I'm going to assume you just didn't set the charge limit to 100%. (But again, don't charge to 100% unless you need it!)

Regarding using 64 "rated" miles in 40 miles of driving for commute, that is probably because you are using climate control (specifically the heat). There are various threads on this topic in these forums which would be helpful to read.

It is useful to check the Wh/mi on the left hand side of the screen, leftmost "card" at the bottom (swipe left/right, then scroll up/down when you get to the trip meters). You can also pull up an actual efficiency meter vs. time if you use the little up-arrow icon at the bottom of the screen somewhat towards the left. In order to get your rated range, you need to be getting an average of about 240Wh/mi. If you average ~240Wh/mi, you will get about 260 miles out of a 100%-0% discharge on the MR vehicle. If you are seeing much higher than this 240Wh/mi number, it is usually due to heating/AC/headwind/snow/rain/hill ascent.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61