Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 -Maintenance schedule?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing I know I'll be paying attention to is the condition of the filters on the drive units. Not so much for fear of the filter getting fouled up, but for it rusting out. They use a lot of salt on the roads around me and I've seen the can style oil filters on ICE vehicles get rust on them. If those are getting rust and they are supposed to be replaced fairly often I can't imagine what it would look like after 5 years or so. But what do I know maybe they are stainless or something. but should be easy to look at on a lift after I take the shield off.

I honestly find it strange that it has a filter, seems like a sealed unit just like a rear differential.

One thing I know I'll be paying attention to is the condition of the filters on the drive units. Not so much for fear of the filter getting fouled up, but for it rusting out. They use a lot of salt on the roads around me and I've seen the can style oil filters on ICE vehicles get rust on them. If those are getting rust and they are supposed to be replaced fairly often I can't imagine what it would look like after 5 years or so. But what do I know maybe they are stainless or something. but should be easy to look at on a lift after I take the shield off.

I honestly find it strange that it has a filter, seems like a sealed unit just like a rear differential.
Where does it say to change the drive unit filter on the maintenance schedule?

Where does it say to change the drive unit filter on the maintenance schedule?

It doesn't, I'm not worried about it needing to be replaced because of contaminants. I'm worried because of the amount of salt that will be on it and the thin wall of a metal filter, rusting through. Who knows though maybe the plastic splash shields will be enough to prevent the buildup of salt on it. Or maybe they are made from stainless and won't rust. Just something I will be keeping an eye on.