Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mid-range is Best for Road Trips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the model 3 performance is more closely compared to a BMW M3, or Mperformance 340, not the 5. As to what the Model 3 will lose in depreciation over the next 3 years will depend on what other manufacturers (or Tesla) brings to market in the next 3 - 4 years. Tesla will bring the Model Y which will compete with the BMW iX3. Based on the interior quality and fit and finish of Tesla, if the BMW gets equal range or close to it, Tesla will have some competition and used car prices will reflect that. BMW has some elbow room, where Tesla says it is limited by needed cash flow. So, the model 3 doesn’t have a lease program (and there I’d no lease program in my province at all) snuff that may be the same with the model Y. So, BMW will do what it does: artificially high residuals with attractive lease rates available in all markets, to bring the monthly payment down. As I staid, it difficult to predict what any EV is going to be worth in 5 yards from now.
If the S is any indication, the P models will depreciate faster. The premiums aren’t justified with the quickly evolving tech and features until the overall EV market matures. Just look at the P85D/P90D values. You can get a 4 year old example for $50-60k. My bet is the LR will retain it’s value.

At that rate and with the 40 min limit, it seems like having a larger battery is pointless
Strongly disagree. As others have pointed out, Supercharging does not get “cut off” at 40 minutes. The warning is simply to encourage owners to move their cars when done charging. I find the Long Range battery very useful and have not had any problems when Supercharging.

If the S is any indication, the P models will depreciate faster. The premiums aren’t justified with the quickly evolving tech and features until the overall EV market matures. Just look at the P85D/P90D values. You can get a 4 year old example for $50-60k. My bet is the LR will retain it’s value.

I think one piece you might be overlooking in you P models depreciate faster is the 75D from a year and a half ago is a base $75k car that is really close to as quick as a P85. IMO that beat the heck out of P85 prices.
With the current P models being so fast I strongly doubt you will see their performance become the new standard as quickly as we did the P85.

That said generally high option cars depreciate harder than lower spec models and P cars are higher optioned.

Have any mid range owners seen supercharging speeds above 110 kWh (or 120 kW with more recent software)? I just ran across info about Standard range being capable of only 102 kW and made me wonder if there is a similar limitation on MR.

I personally feel that supercharging should be slightly annoying, so that people charge at home if they can, thereby freeing them up for people who need them.

I'm with you. One idea I had was for Tesla to throttle Supercharger use for people within 30 miles of their homes, if they charge at home at 240VAC. It wouldn't take a very complex GPS/charging monitoring algorithm to determine who has a home 240VAC charger but is charging, instead, at Superchargers. So, slow down the output at the Superchargers for them to, say, 100 MPH. That's fast enough for a pre-road-trip top off of the last <20% SOC taper, but slow enough that it would make habitual charging mildly painful.

If an owner lives in a place where no or only 120VAC charging is possible, then the Supercharger would open up to full blast.