Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 LR RWD Build: 10/2018 Vin 108###

980-00-D with 30-E inverter

Attachments

• IMG_5378.jpg
    IMG_5378.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 385
Where's the plate? I have a Aug 2018 build P3D+ that I can share.

See earlier in thread. Left side, front of left rear tire, move phone above aero shield, use 2x zoom if possible, flash, eventually you’ll get focused on it. If you have a light it is easier to get the focus.

At this point, it’s likely your P3D+ has a plate with known lettering, but still would be nice to know if there are more “blanks” out there. Not sure if there is a pattern to it, or just a short timeframe in October with no text on the plates...

Otherwise, really the most useful info would be from cars built in December or even January (soon!).

Well, shoot that is easier than the undercover. Probably don’t even need to take the wheel off; just stick a camera back there and click away a bit. I had no way of knowing though. And the undercover is very easy to remove.

Who will be the first regular AWD person to do this?
I have an AWD motor removed from a car and have a RWD motor from a LR that I can pull out. What are you trying to compare?

Reactions: kbecks13
I have an AWD motor removed from a car and have a RWD motor from a LR that I can pull out. What are you trying to compare?

At this point we have a lot of pictures. All the rear motors appear to be identical in "980" base part number (or they have no part number for a brief window in October-ish). See the thread.

Build date (and of course vehicle type!) is good to know (essential for it to be useful...) for any motor pictures you include.

Would be great to have some pictures from 2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 AWD, and 2019 LEMR, just to see if anything has changed. (We don't have these pictures.)

Last edited:

Your motor fits the pattern provided by @EricUSC earlier in this thread:

Rear Motor
Build Date 5/18: 1120980-00-C
***Changed from C to D sometime between 5/18-8/18***
Build Date 8/18-12/18: 1120980-00-D (blank label 9/18-10/18 followed by font change)

Rear Inverter Plate
Build Date 5/18: P1085693-00-E
Build Date 5/18-9/18: P1085693-20-E
***Changed from 20-E to 30-E between 9/18-10/18***
Build Date 10/18-12/18: P1085693-30-E

IGBT seems to be preferred for higher power, and MOSFET for higher frequency switching applications. IGBT are specifically used for traction motors. Therefore, I feeling pretty good about the IGBT in my MR. Also I figure there are a lot of other things more likely to go bad. I do wish this kind of information was easier to find. Notice the part description explicitly says 62kWh - the first time I have noticed that in an official Tesla document. I think it also shows Tesla knows exactly what is going into the SR and already has a pipeline for it. Also, lol, notice the oil filter.

IGBT seems to be preferred for higher power, and MOSFET for higher frequency switching applications. IGBT are specifically used for traction motors. Therefore, I feeling pretty good about the IGBT in my MR. Also I figure there are a lot of other things more likely to go bad. I do wish this kind of information was easier to find. Notice the part description explicitly says 62kWh - the first time I have noticed that in an official Tesla document. I think it also shows Tesla knows exactly what is going into the SR and already has a pipeline for it. Also, lol, notice the oil filter.

Your LEMR vehicle likely has the 980 MOSFET inverter. You’d have to take a picture to be sure. If it was built in December or earlier it almost certainly is a 980.

I regret to inform you guys that Tesla has gone back to just two rear motors in the part catalog (970 & 990). And in addition I can't get the inverter part number in the catalog to line up with the pictures taken here. Maybe there is a part number somewhere else on the assembly but I deleted all the pictures I took when I was under there... But I can't find anything matching P1085693-30-E

Speculation on the motors:

Maybe 990 is a new and improved motor for all 75kWh vehicles (to deal with all the complaints about the P3D being slow ;) )? Question is: when will it (if ever!) be installed in vehicles? We should check new vehicles...

And maybe 970 is for the future MR (we only have the LEMR so far, using 980 like everything else) & SR vehicles?

Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 4.31.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 4.32.15 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: GregRF