Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Motors on the Tesla Parts Catalog

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this confirms my P3D is slow?

Seriously though, we have no idea. Also it's inexplicable that the 980 has disappeared, unless they're going to just put the 990 in older P3D vehicles (or really, any vehicle with the 980 motor - which is all of them) that happen to have drive unit failures. Possible that could happen though. It might be essentially an equivalent motor.

Last edited:
Oh man, that would suck if we couldn’t get Ludicrous mode.

I would gladly wager that if Tesla doesn’t go out of business there will be a faster Model 3 in the future. So get accustomed to having a slow Model 3. That is what I am doing, I have to live with my pokey 3.3 seconds with 1-foot rollout. I am adapting.

Most likely all this motor catalog nonsense is just Tesla randomly changing things for reasons known only to them. There may be no good reason. We will find out with time.

I would gladly wager that if Tesla doesn’t go out of business there will be a faster Model 3 in the future. So get accustomed to having a slow Model 3. That is what I am doing, I have to live with my pokey 3.3 seconds with 1-foot rollout. I am adapting.

Most likely all this motor catalog nonsense is just Tesla randomly changing things for reasons known only to them. There may be no good reason. We will find out with time.

I suppose I’d prefer to have not the fastest model 3 rather than no Tesla. 0-60 isn’t bad, but 50+ feels quite slow.

0-60 isn’t bad, but 50+ feels quite slow.

Yeah, it's really awfully slow. Just takes forever to get to 90. I say, hello, where is the power? o_O Should have put in a second gear I guess. :)

In other news, they've also removed the front motor description from the part catalog. So I think this is just Tesla rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It probably means nothing.

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 6.19.09 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.52.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 2.52.23 PM.png
    334.7 KB · Views: 123
Yeah, it's really awfully slow. Just takes forever to get to 90. I say, hello, where is the power? o_O Should have put in a second gear I guess. :)

In other news, they've also removed the front motor description from the part catalog. So I think this is just Tesla rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. It probably means nothing.

View attachment 372756

I can’t tell if you are serious lol, but I find it unimpressive :(. I wish it had the pull of the P100D, but then I remind myself how much the P100D costs.

Wonder if Tesla will simply sell the upgrade at some point from M3D to Performance?

Maybe when they need more high margin sales after they start selling the short range vehicle?

Im getting buyers remorse nit getting same configuration in Performnace trim!

Ditto, f**ed up not getting the Performance trim, same config. Its still great, but I missed the best one... oh well.

Maybe they sell a 100% margin for Tesla over the air upgrade to a M3P from an M3D...?

We hope...

Wonder if Tesla will simply sell the upgrade at some point from M3D to Performance?

Maybe when they need more high margin sales after they start selling the short range vehicle?

Im getting buyers remorse nit getting same configuration in Performnace trim!

To commemorate the launch of the SR/SR+ models, once again we review the current Model 3 Parts Catalog. They're back to listing all 3 motors (980 not missing anymore). And they append the "GLOBAL" moniker to the 980 and 990 models (MOSFET and MOSFET-LC).

It's really quite mysterious...when will these 970 and 990 motors make an appearance? Any recent buyers (Feb 2019 build date), you can stick camera in front of left rear wheel above the plastic shield to take a picture of the shiny plate. See earlier in the thread...so far everyone has a 980 motor.

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 5.28.05 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: kbecks13
2019 LR AWD Vin 219###
990-00-B
Took delivery last week here in Sweden.

Just like many in this thread, I hope they'll sell a software unlock for performance later on. If that is possible?

Absolutely possible since they're physically the same car as the P3D-

Unknown if they'll do it for future-sales reasons though... (it might push someone torn between a P and non-P on a future model/purchase to spend less upfront for the P if they know they can always "add it later")

2019 LR AWD Vin 219###
990-00-B
Took delivery last week here in Sweden.

Wait is this the first 990 motor we have seen in the wild? My December build AWD has a rev D 980 rear motor.

Edit spelling

Yes this is the first report of a 990 motor! Big news! This is the MOSFET-LC.

In the AWD...others in Europe should report what they have in the LR RWD (and also Performance, etc.), so we can get an idea of how this is being done.

We should really find out about some recent builds for US vehicles too. Maybe recent AWDs have switched over to 990? I’d be a bit surprised if it is different motor for the US and Europe.