Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Motors VS Model S/X motors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With both the motor and inverter in house, they could easily go to a higher phase count for smoother transitions.

However, I suspect most of the improvements are from that last line - not motors that are significantly more capable or efficient, but motors that are much cheaper to build.
They could also improve reliability which would lower costs related to warranty claims. It seems like they've already achieved this on the S/X motors but there's always room for improvement.

Someone said the 3 motor was being used in some lower performance versions of the S today.

I think a lot of us were expecting Tesla to use the current small motor that's in both front and rear of all the D cars and the front motor for PxxDs as the single rear motor for base 3s, but no one that knows would be permitted to post.

I'm kinda expecting a smaller/cheaper motor than that for the 3xxD in front and rear, and possibly as the 3PxxD front.

But it's all speculation for now...

Reactions: R.S
I think a lot of us were expecting Tesla to use the current small motor that's in both front and rear of all the D cars and the front motor for PxxDs as the single rear motor for base 3s, but no one that knows would be permitted to post.

I'm kinda expecting a smaller/cheaper motor than that for the 3xxD in front and rear, and possibly as the 3PxxD front.

But it's all speculation for now...

Good point!

It would really make sense to come up with new motors for the AWD. The large one in the base 75 Model S could put out as much power as the large one in the P100D. Something like that is ok for a low volume car, but not for something more mass market. The volumes will be big enough, to try to avoid over engineering, even if it means more complexity.

For the base Model 3, they could still use the small Model S/X motor design, maybe a bit improved, and a new inverter. But the AWD Model 3 would need 2 small Model S motors, if they didn't come up with new ones, which would be 520 installed hp, that just won't be used. It would make much more sense to introduce smaller, less powerful, motors for the D versions.

So I think especially the AWD motors will be new, for the Model 3. The larger drive units could just be improved Model S/X D motors.

Assuming that Tesla is still going with a 3 phase AC motor, I don't know how they could be much "better". This is 100+ year old technology; these motors are very efficient (90%+), and any design improvements in the basic motor would be pretty incremental, I think.

There mayu be some opportunities in the way that the accessories (gearbox, inverter, cooling) motor/inverter/gearbox are integrated with the motor. And doubtless there are improvements possible in the manufacturing process.
JB Sträubel discussed these issues during the International Transport Forum in 2016 in Germany.

he suggested coming significant developments in essentially all areas, but emphasized that the most important factor now is cost reduction. A quick review of electric motors over the last 100 years does show that there have been few genuine transformational technologies but there have been constant improvements in durability, cost reduction, quality control coupled with constant improvements in preferred technology for a given application. The net has been constant cost reduction, durability and efficiency increases. It seems probable that Tesla will not change from the existing approach, but will make great advances in inverters, clerical transmission losses, wiring, including windings, and a few other areas. Probably none of these will be individually great but they'll probably combine to give a net operating efficiency improvement of several percent (i.e. >5%) in aggregate, independent of other improvements. More importantly, probably, will be the more highly automated production and cost reduction from improved manufacturing process. That also will yield improved quality and better durability.

Unless I am grossly in error, all these things are yielding a 'virtuous cycle'.

On yesterdays earning calls it was mentioned that the Tesla semi is going to have the Model 3 motors:

a lot” of parts with the Model 3, including the new motors made for the upcoming $35,000 all-electric sedan

This leads me to believe that they are next generations motors; designed for extreme durability and efficiency. Priced lower because of production volumes.

I wonder if they are better then the Model S/X motors however not as powerful....

What do you guys think?
Elon SAID that nothing will be in the Model 3 that isn't a part of the Model S.

He's breaking the rules.

? What ? I never commented about the Semi.
You responded to it:

On yesterdays earning calls it was mentioned that the Tesla semi is going to have the Model 3 motors:

a lot” of parts with the Model 3, including the new motors made for the upcoming $35,000 all-electric sedan

to which you said:
Elon SAID that nothing will be in the Model 3 that isn't a part of the Model S.

While the Model 3 will have a subset of features in the Model S there is a lot of new unique hardware, not found on the Model S.

The Semi will use Model 3 motors, but the Model 3 isn't using Model S parts.

Features, not hardware. Example: door handles, inverter, "2170"s, supposedly a new motor according to JB, chassis (obviously).

Wait...where did I say something incorrectly? I'm not understanding why we are having this conversation.

The Model 3 will have fewer options.

Yes the door handles, inverter, battery, motor, trunk, acceleration, distance, dual screens, auto-opening doors, power folding side mirrors, lighted door handles, interior accent lighting, HEPA filtered cabin, smart air suspension, become part of the discussion of options that Elon might be talking about.

Last edited:
Question:

Did Elon say that nothing is going in the Model 3 that isn't in the Model S?

I don't know, did he? I don't remember that. I just remember the quote about no new user facing tech. Can you provide a link?

Edit: Basically, what I remember is this quote, which says there will be new tech for the Model 3, just nothing "majorly new the consumer would notice":

Will the Model 3 use any significantly new technology that has yet to be introduced to the S or X?

1. Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk Mar 24
      Replying to @VoltzCoreAudio
      Nothing majorly new that a consumer would notice. Lots of new tech in the design and production process though.

Last edited:
Question:

Did Elon say that nothing is going in the Model 3 that isn't in the Model S?
Here are relevant quotes:

Model 3 is just a smaller, more affordable version of Model S w less range & power & fewer features. Model S has more advanced technology.

Only Model S will have the seven seater option, more cargo space, plus higher range, acceleration, two screens vs one, auto extend handles …

Nothing majorly new that a consumer would notice. Lots of new tech in the design and production process though.

The internals of the car may be brand new tech but the consumer wouldn't necessarily notice as it's not consumer facing... He was dismissing the notion of a HUD in a single tweet.

The gist I got was:
Model 3 = new, lower cost, more efficient but != better than Model S

I don't know, did he? I don't remember that. I just remember the quote about no new user facing tech. Can you provide a link?

Edit: Basically, what I remember is this quote, which says there will be new tech for the Model 3, just nothing "majorly new the consumer would notice":

Will the Model 3 use any significantly new technology that has yet to be introduced to the S or X?

1. Elon Musk‏Verified account @elonmusk Mar 24
      Replying to @VoltzCoreAudio
#1 New Technology is its motor.