Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 mud guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool, I swear I looked on July 22 on Amazon and nothing. Those look like the same ones. I'm sure they are all made by the same Chinese company. They are popping up all over now.

Amazon Prime link.

https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Model-Flaps-Splash-Guards/dp/B07V36S77Y

Did you install yours yet?

If I put 3M tape between the "cup" that contacts the body, I'm not sure if I need the PPF. I'll order some any way to keep my options open.

I noticed in one of my photo's I posted that there is a little pocket near the top that could trap sand. I need to think about how to address that.

You want things tight, but not so tight that trapped water doesn't drain. Or even a path for sand to come out.

I used to flush whole area with garden hose on some cars to get any trapped sand out. I've never had car rot due to mud flaps. But you do have to keep an eye on things.

Mine arrive on Friday. 3M tape and PPF tape arrive tomorrow (Thursday), so I will be ready to install Saturday morning. I first have to "de-implement" the flat ones I currently have installed. Once installed, I will have to decide which of the two designs I like best. Yes, I too have OEM molded flaps o other cars and never had an issue - as long as you pay attention to what's going on in those areas when washing.

Reactions: mswlogo
@jebinc

Forum would not let me edit my prior post, like I could on the "other" forum, hint hint.

So some of this is a repeat but it's complete, with install.

I noticed TapTES had the same MudFlaps as the ones seen on Ebay for like $10 more ($36 shipped), but I could get them from TapTES in a week and return them if I didn't like them.

Mud Flaps for Tesla Model 3

They look great, I hope to install them tonight. Done, see photos.

When I went to go look for the link above, I noticed TapTES DOUBLE the price !! I guess they realized these are gonna be hot
upload_2019-7-31_20-7-14.gif

FYI, someone found the same mudflaps/mudguards now on Amazon (Prime Reseller, $39)

Not sure why embedded link doesn't work.

www.amazon.com/Tesla-Model-Flaps-Splash-Guards/dp/B07V36S77Y or search for Model 3 Tesla Mud Flaps

I installed them completely as designed.

Probably took all of 30 minutes.

Only drilled 2 pilot holes for self tapping screws that go into the PLASTIC front wheel well. Every thing else used existing Rivet and bolts.

I abandoned using 3M tape. The part that touched the body only touches on the visible edge. It tapers away from the body.

Note, everything in the rear is plastic. There is no risk for rot from collected sand (which is possible).

Using 3M tape to the wheel well just won't hold long term. The two holes were so modest and safe, I just went ahead and drilled it.

If for some reason I remove I could plug the tiny hole with silicon or the screw.

Only big question is impact on efficiency. They look like the perfect size. Large enough to protect but not to large impact efficiency (much, I hope).

They are mostly behind the tires.

They are on very solid. Removed 6 OEM Rivets and used 6 supplied ones. The OEM ones are just to short. Removed two OEM bolts and replaced with same both in the rear.

Drilled two pilot holes at the top for fronts.

Back of Front Flap

48423303036_d0cf7ffb67_h_d.jpg

Front of Front Flap

48423302956_157925495d_h_d.jpg

Front of Rear Flap

48426575836_43287b2463_h_d.jpg

Back of Back flap

48426716502_d7bbf39440_h_d.jpg

Front view of Front flap installed

48426575606_4bc683287d_h_d.jpg

Rear View Front Flap installed

48426716272_da23a87035_h_d.jpg

Rear view of Rear flap installed

48426716277_8812ca5a76_h_d.jpg

Front view of rear flap installed

48426575651_8c189b040e_h_d.jpg

Rear View of Rear Flap installed (that is not a gap, just a reflection).

48426575736_e09f50cda1_h_d.jpg

Rear flap from bottom installed using existing bolt

48426716352_0ba88abc59_h_d.jpg

Front flap while installing showing the one pilot hole (into plastic wheel well). You could use 3M tape to wheel well, I chose not to.

48426575791_44efe7a7ea_h_d.jpg

Rear view installed both.

Don't blink you might not notice them on Midnight Silver

48426575916_424ad2df41_h_d.jpg

Front View both installed

48426575921_e32349f137_h_d.jpg

View to show how much they stick out.

48426716542_2f715afa28_h_d.jpg

Another view showing how much they stick out

48426716562_29fff44b46_h_d.jpg

In my opinion they make the car look beefier/wider looking stance from the rear.

48426722652_a7e0597bf6_h_d.jpg

This picture shows precise they fit, incredible.

48426672191_0ab909e10e_h_d.jpg

Last edited:
Read my post. I gave every single detail and photo.

Thanks for the detailed installation pics and comments - nice job !! I ordered the same ones, but off of ebay instead for $20 total and they shipped this morning. I was part of the group buy flat ones in another thread, but returned them this morning. I couldn't get the rear flaps to install level and it bothered me to look at them....

@jebinc

Forum would not let me edit my prior post, like I could on the "other" forum, hint hint.

So some of this is a repeat but it's complete, with install.

I noticed TapTES had the same MudFlaps as the ones seen on Ebay for like $10 more ($36 shipped), but I could get them from TapTES in a week and return them if I didn't like them.

Mud Flaps for Tesla Model 3

They look great, I hope to install them tonight. Done, see photos.

When I went to go look for the link above, I noticed TapTES DOUBLE the price !! I guess they realized these are gonna be hot View attachment 436307

FYI, someone found the same mudflaps/mudguards now on Amazon (Prime Reseller, $39)

Not sure why embedded link doesn't work.

www.amazon.com/Tesla-Model-Flaps-Splash-Guards/dp/B07V36S77Y or search for Model 3 Tesla Mud Flaps

I installed them completely as designed.

Probably took all of 30 minutes.

Only drilled 2 pilot holes for self tapping screws that go into the PLASTIC front wheel well. Every thing else used existing Rivet and bolts.

I abandoned using 3M tape. The part that touched the body only touches on the visible edge. It tapers away from the body.

Note, everything in the rear is plastic. There is no risk for rot from collected sand (which is possible).

Using 3M tape to the wheel well just won't hold long term. The two holes were so modest and safe, I just went ahead and drilled it.

If for some reason I remove I could plug the tiny hole with silicon or the screw.

Only big question is impact on efficiency. They look like the perfect size. Large enough to protect but not to large impact efficiency (much, I hope).

They are mostly behind the tires.

They are on very solid. Removed 6 OEM Rivets and used 6 supplied ones. The OEM ones are just to short. Removed two OEM bolts and replaced with same both in the rear.

Drilled two pilot holes at the top for fronts.

Back of Front Flap

48423303036_d0cf7ffb67_h_d.jpg

Front of Front Flap

48423302956_157925495d_h_d.jpg

Front of Rear Flap

48426575836_43287b2463_h_d.jpg

Back of Back flap

48426716502_d7bbf39440_h_d.jpg

Front view of Front flap installed

48426575606_4bc683287d_h_d.jpg

Rear View Front Flap installed

48426716272_da23a87035_h_d.jpg

Rear view of Rear flap installed

48426716277_8812ca5a76_h_d.jpg

Front view of rear flap installed

48426575651_8c189b040e_h_d.jpg

Rear View of Rear Flap installed (that is not a gap, just a reflection).

48426575736_e09f50cda1_h_d.jpg

Rear flap from bottom installed using existing bolt

48426716352_0ba88abc59_h_d.jpg

Front flap while installing showing the one pilot hole (into plastic wheel well). You could use 3M tape to wheel well, I chose not to.

48426575791_44efe7a7ea_h_d.jpg

Rear view installed both.

Don't blink you might not notice them on Midnight Silver

48426575916_424ad2df41_h_d.jpg

Front View both installed

48426575921_e32349f137_h_d.jpg

View to show how much they stick out.

48426716542_2f715afa28_h_d.jpg

Another view showing how much they stick out

48426716562_29fff44b46_h_d.jpg

In my opinion they make the car look beefier/wider looking stance from the rear.

48426722652_a7e0597bf6_h_d.jpg

This picture shows precise they fit, incredible.

48426672191_0ab909e10e_h_d.jpg

When I install mine on Saturday, I just might use a plastic OEM-like insert instead of a screw for the upper front flap position. This way, I can use that same insert to plug the hole should I decide to remove these to reinstall the group buy ones. Will look stock also!

When I install mine on Saturday, I just might use a plastic OEM-like insert instead of a screw for the upper front flap position. This way, I can use that same insert to plug the hole should I decide to remove these to reinstall the group buy ones. Will look stock also!

Nice idea on the OEM style plastic clips. Bought a set of different sizes from Amazon and I hope one will fit.

Has any of the 3M tape from the Tsol ones separated from the fender lip yet ?

Thanks for posting. I think those are the same flaps I just got in. Nice install job. I have the same wheels too.

Any comments on the impact to efficiency?

It's pretty common for this style mud flap to hit. Especially on speed bumps.
My VW CC and even my Jeep hit. But I have never damaged them. It sounds 10x worse than it is when they hit something.

The material has just enough flex to bend and spring back. Assuming they are installed firmly ;)

Did you drill holes? Looks like you did. What did you use?

Wow, yours looks good! Definitely picking up the taptes ones. But can't be the same as mine, I had universal ones and had no pre drilled holes on the flaps as well.
But haven't noticed any significant efficiency hit, so that's good.
I drilled holes yes, but bought some extra plugs instead of the included screws, because it looks more OEM with plugs than with screws.

I understand but the “plugs” (plastic rivet) requires a much bigger hole. Can always switch to plug/rivet later.

I understand but the “plugs” (plastic rivet) requires a much bigger hole. Can always switch to plug/rivet later.

Yes, the plastic plug/rivet is larger in diameter than the screw so you'd need to drill the wheelwell plastic and the mudflap plastic. The screw is much smaller in diameter and really doesn't require pre-drilling unless that's your choice. You can drill out the holes made by the screws for the plugs.

Yes, the plastic plug/rivet is larger in diameter than the screw so you'd need to drill the wheelwell plastic and the mudflap plastic. The screw is much smaller in diameter and really doesn't require pre-drilling unless that's your choice. You can drill out the holes made by the screws for the plugs.

Right, it does not need predrill, but the wheel well plastic is a little loosey goosey (it will push away) and I was worried the screw would drift while getting it to self tap. So I drilled a tiny starter hole. I think it was the right call and safer to drill a starter hole. The screws look fairly sharp and might have "bitten" immediately with no hole. But why chance it.

• Helpful
Reactions: strykeroz
Right, it does not need predrill, but the wheel well plastic is a little loosey goosey (it will push away) and I was worried the screw would drift while getting it to self tap. So I drilled a tiny starter hole. I think it was the right call and safer to drill a starter hole. The screws look fairly sharp and might have "bitten" immediately with no hole. But why chance it.

For the location of the pre drill, is there just a hollow gap behind the fender well liner ?

Installation of Amazon-sourced molded mud flaps made in China

I received my flaps on Friday, 8/2/19. I selected an Amazon supplier that had them in stock and who got them to me two days after ordering. The first thing I noticed when opening the box was a strong toxic odor from the flaps - so strong that I put them outside over-night to degas. The installation was very straight forward and didn't take more than 1/2 hour to do all four, and that includes the time it took me to remove a set of flat plastic flaps. Overall, the fit and finish is fairly good. I will say that the thickness of these molded flaps is less than OEM molded flaps you can find on Honda or Subaru vehicles. Not sure how that may affect the long-term viability at this point. Attached are some picture of these flaps installed on my MSM LR AWD M3.

mf1.jpg
mf6.jpg
mf5.jpg
mf4.jpg
MF3.jpg
mf2.jpg