Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like the next design level to have a superior HUD with the ability to fold the screen under the dash where it can be hidden. The sceen would become more of a backup or used all the time because of personal preference.
el crucero, I am not shure why you disagree? If the sceen can fold under the dash to be hidden where you can leave the screen up all the time if you wish, you don't loose anything. The HUD can be a purchase option where only those wanting a HUD can pay for it. I do like the minimalist dash design and if you can use a HUD with voice controls with the screen folded and hidden under the dash, you will have more of a minimalist dash with needed display informstion in front of you instead of off to the side.

el crucero, I am not shure why you disagree? If the sceen can fold under the dash to be hidden where you can leave the screen up all the time if you wish, you don't loose anything. The HUD can be a purchase option where only those wanting a HUD can pay for it. I do like the minimalist dash design and if you can use a HUD with voice controls with the screen folded and hidden under the dash, you will have more of a minimalist dash with needed display informstion in front of you instead of off to the side.
I would love for the Screen to fold under the dash or anywhere.

Please do me a favor everyone. Lets KILL the word HUD please.

I've come to peace with the interior being what it is. Will wait to see final design and hopefully sit in one before I order.

However, whenever I see the center screen, I can't help but see my head hitting off of it in a crash...I'm sure it would take one in million scenario to have it happen, but would just be my luck. :rolleyes:

I disagree. It's the same focus on the things that matters my opinion. My 2006 Nokia 73 had "features". It had a web browser, you could check your mails. It had a camera. But the user interface was crap. Much like the small screens on the BMW 3 series, Audi A4 examples in this thread.

The Model 3 might lack the second screen, the adjustable air vents. But, it has auto pilot, large usable screen for navigation, playlists (Spotify), over the air updates that actually makes the car better over time. Something that the current BMW 3 series, Audi A4 lacks. That's what i would call "restricting the user experience".
I agree that Tesla has improved upon many things and created a better experience in some aspects of the automotive experience. However, they have gone backwards in other aspects with Model 3. Like I said before, Model S nailed it. That car paved the way for the future of cars and it's just disappointing to see that Model 3 won't be following that route and instead it is forking off into a different path that a lot of people aren't thrilled with.

But the user interface was crap.
I'm concerned that the user interface will suffer without the second screen. Implementation is key and again, Model S does it so well. Do current Model S owners feel that removing their dash screen will improve the user interface? I can't can't think of a single way that one (smaller) screen is superior to two when it comes to arming the driver will all the necessary information and creating a seamless driving experience.

I understand the argument for "feel" behind the wheel without the second screen. It will certainly be different and will create a unique driving experience that I personally am excited for. But I worry that the car can't both feel cool to drive and also actually be cool to drive. It's form and function again. Cost arguments aside, we're sacrificing an integrated and useful driving experience for a less tangible, harder-to-quantify, intuition-based driving experience. I don't think this is the right direction, at least not right now.

In such a high tech car, I want to be as connected as possible. There are so many amazing tools and features and potential to turn the driving experience into something like none other. Model 3 does the opposite. So much tech under the hood and Tesla is trying to keep you away from it as much as possible. The future apparently isn't new features, customization, and communicable information, but rather eliminating all that because "you won't care". How boring. At its core, that is what is disappointing about Model 3.

Model S is to Linux as Model 3 is to ChromeOS.

"I can't can't think of a single way that one (smaller) screen is superior to two when it comes to arming the driver with all the necessary information and creating a seamless driving experience."
Substitute the word "passenger" for "driver" and you'll see what Tesla seems to have in mind.
I could live with the Model 3's interior layout, unless the ergonomics suck, the screen edges look as dangerous in production as they look now (someone will put their head into them eventually), or the materials - in person- look and/or feel cheesy.
At the end of the day there is a world of difference between a design that's actually cool, and one that's just cold.
Robin

• Love
Reactions: cdub
"I can't can't think of a single way that one (smaller) screen is superior to two when it comes to arming the driver with all the necessary information and creating a seamless driving experience."
Substitute the word "passenger" for "driver" and you'll see what Tesla seems to have in mind.
I could live with the Model 3's interior layout, unless the ergonomics suck, the screen edges look as dangerous in production as they look now (someone will put their head into them eventually), or the materials - in person- look and/or feel cheesy.
At the end of the day there is a world of difference between a design that's actually cool, and one that's just cold.
Robin

I see what they have in mind but I don't agree with it. Elon himself just said we're 2 years away from being able to be a passenger in a Tesla. Meanwhile production starts in July and even then many people will not be paying for AP2 software that might enable a fully driverless car ...at some point in the future.

I DO agree that I also can't think of a single way one (smaller) screen is superior to two when it comes to arming the driver with all the necessary information and creating a seamless driving experience.

HUD is just DUH backwards.

(What the hell does that even mean? No idea, just a stream of consciousness thing that popped into my head)
Heads Up Display. It started in military aircraft and has migrated into civilian aircraft and cars. On aircraft, like the Gulfstream, you can look out the front windshield while on an approach to an airport. The guidance and aircraft speed an attitude are focused at infinity. You don't have to have your head down, looking at the instruments and back to a heads up position to see if the runway is in visual contact. It is much safer. The Gulfstream also uses EVS, Enhansed Vision System ( which is a Forward Looking Infra Red camera), displayed in the HUD. You can see the runway from 2400' when the naked eye can not see further than 700'. When the system first became available on the GV, it was $1,000,000.00. Now it is a lot less. I wish all cars had HUD and EVS as an option.

John

Tesla is shifting attention to the occupants of car. The people.
I don't get it. How is Tesla focusing on the people inside the car? All they did is take all the fun stuff for people to play with and nix it. It's barren in there. How is staring at leather or a piece of wood at all desirable or luxurious for the occupants? If anything, they're paying less attention to the people and more on getting from point A to point B with minimal distractions. The future is now and the future is boring. Yawn.

Robin
I understand the end goal, but we are not there yet. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Model 3 is an autonomous vehicle that is not capable of full autonomy. Not a single Gen 1 Model 3 produced in the next couple years will be fully autonomous in its lifetime. Level 5 just hasn't been cracked yet and it won't be for several generations of Model 3.

Elon's touting the autonomous drive from LA to NY as the greatest thing since sliced bread, but one user pointed out that there are like two miles of street driving and the rest highway driving. How is that at all impressive?

We have the most brilliant minds working on self-driving. Google's been working on it for a decade and are still not there even with LIDAR. Tesla doesn't have LIDAR and have only been working on it for a few years and somehow they're close enough to be confident that Model 3 will be fully autonomous? Joke. Tesla will be one of the last automobile manufacturers to crack full autonomy despite having had some iteration of it live for many years more than the competition. All the data shows that Tesla is in the middle of the pack right now.

Model 3 jumped the gun.

Reactions: kablammyman
All they did is take all the fun stuff for people to play with and nix it.
Last time I checked the Model S screens face only the driver and no one else in the car.

Model 3 is an autonomous vehicle that is not capable of full autonomy.
You can't know this without the full software suite with well trained networks which isn't even out yet. It only has to be 2-10 times better than a human to be safer on average.

The only thing the future hardware might get you is more sensitive cameras that can see even better in low light, higher resolution, and as a side effect of that higher resolution you're going to need faster computing just to keep up with the excess data which is useless data anyway as objects don't really require a high resolution for identification.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right. But most of this board is too far down the rabbit hole of telling themselves an interior that they would've stuck up their noses at two years ago is now the greatest interior in the history of automobiles to acknowledge your point.
One of the features that I loved about the Model S I bought 3 1/2 years ago was the simplicity of the interior. The Model 3 interior design takes that to a higher level. Yes, "higher" as in "better".

If you saw my house you would understand why I like minimalism.

Elon has already said the S is way better than the 3 will ever be, no need to rub it in.
I loved Elon's anti-selling

Only Model S will have the seven seater option, more cargo space, plus higher range, acceleration, two screens vs one, auto extend handles …

- I don't need seven seats and the Model 3 has more headroom in the back than Model S.
- Model 3 still will have the most cargo space for any car it's size.
- High end Model 3 should still have around 300 miles range give or take 20 mi (assuming they go for a 75 kWh pack)
- I "won't care" about not having a second screen
- I don't need auto extending door handles to cost $700+ to repair

I can't wait for the Model 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.