Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can convince yourself it is simplistic or minimalistic. I call it not trying.
It is much harder to design a minimalist yet functional car interior than it is to design what every other manufacturer offers: an interior crammed with knobs and buttons and silly trim that screams for your attention.

And you are convinced of your position despite never having driven a Model 3, much less sat in one.

This debate over Tesla interiors started with the S more than 4 years ago and hasn't stopped. And yet during that time period Tesla has sold over 200,000 BEVs at an average price that no one except maybe Elon and JB thought would be possible.

Is this 1959 Nash Metropolitan taxi the true design inspiration for the Model 3?
Curious minds want to know.
Robin

depositphotos_12692444-stock-photo-1959-nash-metropolitan-checker-taxi.jpg

Almost every car I've had with headlight washers they have been useless.

For us Europeans there actually would be a big reason to have them: with washers, the headlights can legally be more powerful. Without washers the headlights are officially allowed only to pretty much suck.

Which Tesla's do.

I believe my former Model S and current Model X were/are the only non-headlight washer cars I've ever owned. Certainly the only premium cars.

• Informative
Reactions: Topher and Model 3
For us Europeans there actually would be a big reason to have them: with washers, the headlights can legally be more powerful. Without washers the headlights are officially allowed only to pretty much suck.

Which Tesla's do.

I believe my former Model S and current Model X were/are the only non-headlight washer cars I've ever owned. Certainly the only premium cars.

But why.

This is so obvious it goes without saying, so I'm just going to have to say it, just because...

Every physical knob, switch, vent control, analog gauge, gear shift, yadda, yadda, yadda in a car cannot be modified. It does what it does. Sure, you can put some software behind it, but it is still a physical mechanism that cannot be changed. As the years go by, customer preference for what a car interior should "look like", and how it all "should work", will change. What seems futuristic now (ohhh, look at all the Buttons!, this is the BOMB), will tomorrow be hopelessly outdated. That, and everyone has different preferences.

Tesla is designing the Model 3 interior to be as "future proof" as possible. How? By making everything that can be software controlled, software controlled. Whatever function(s) can be controlled by the touch screen can be modified as nauseum over time as required. Thats what Tesla does, for better or worse. It seems highly probably that at some point the display will allow for a great degree of individual flexibility. Want your energy graph on the left, and the map on the right? Just move them around, the car will remember them. Want audio turn by turn directions when you get within 5 miles of your destination? Set it and forget it. Spouse wants different settings? Yup, everyone gets their own, saved in profiles. Gotta have a "button" to push to tune in your favorite radio station? Yup, Tesla will give you all the (software) buttons you want to push, even fill the screen with them if it makes you feel better.

It's all just software. It can do whatever you want it to do.

RT

P.S. See John Dvorak's post mentioned earlier about how the Apple i-Phone would bankrupt the company (circa 2007). He not only got it wrong, he couldn't have been more wrong, and he was the THE expert! Hopefully he didn't bet the farm shorting Apple stock. Some people are more comfortable with disrupting technology, others less so. There is a reason why Tesla is the most valuable American automobile manufacturer.

Don't be John Dvorak...

"Maybe when the smoke clears, we will have heard the last of Steve Jobs as guru, seer, visionary and hapless victim too ... He'll go the way of pet rock, electric carving knives, silly putty, Tiny Tim, and the three-tone paint job. Let's hope so."

"If [Apple's] smart, it will call the iPhone a 'reference design' and pass it to some suckers to build with someone else's marketing budget. Then it can wash its hands of any marketplace failures. [... ] It should do that immediately before it's too late."

P.S. See John Dvorak's post mentioned earlier about how the Apple i-Phone would bankrupt the company (circa 2007). He not only got it wrong, he couldn't have been more wrong, and he was the THE expert! Hopefully he didn't bet the farm shorting Apple stock. Some people are more comfortable with disrupting technology, others less so. There is a reason why Tesla is the most valuable American automobile manufacturer.

Dvorak was wrong there, no doubt.

Then again, Apple has been wrong about many things too.

The lesson here:

Tesla may well be right about disrupting many things, that does not mean every disruption they attempt are a valid/successful one.

We shall see if the Model 3 interior is a stroke of genius or another pair of falcon wings.

Reactions: Model 3

Don't be John Dvorak...

"Maybe when the smoke clears, we will have heard the last of Steve Jobs as guru, seer, visionary and hapless victim too ... He'll go the way of pet rock, electric carving knives, silly putty, Tiny Tim, and the three-tone paint job. Let's hope so."

"If [Apple's] smart, it will call the iPhone a 'reference design' and pass it to some suckers to build with someone else's marketing budget. Then it can wash its hands of any marketplace failures. [... ] It should do that immediately before it's too late."

I hadn't seen this before. This is absolutely hilarious. Oh, the value of hind-sight.

Maybe people should stop freaking out about the interior until we've actually had a clear view of the interior. For all we know they do have those things people are griping about, but haven't seen it yet due to a lack of a clear interior shot.
I think everyone should freak out. What are we doing to do for the next 2-4 ( EMT time ) months?

Status
Not open for further replies.