Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This photo shows something I had not seen before (but perhaps has already been commented on somewhere in the more than 2,000 posts in this thread): in the front bumper directly in front of the headlight is a small round cutout. What is that? Removable piece for the tow eye bolt? No matter what it is, this white 3 looks fantastic!
Yes, suspect that is for the tow eye. Not the most graceful and stylish solution, but functional. I've seen others do similar.

I totally disagree. I'm convinced the reason the Model S is doing so well is that people who couldn't / wouldn't buy a car that expensive are stretching to buy the Model S because it's a great car, certainly not for the interior.
The S draws from a much larger base than other cars in it's class because of this reason.

Similarly the 3 will do the same. It'll get people who were previous "in the segment" buyers who would have gone for a BMW 3 series or the like, in addition to people who will "stretch" from the Camry, Accord, Etc. market. The Camry and Accord market segment is HUGE and Tesla will be able to draw people to it and tap into a massive customer base.

First of all, I think Model 3 will do just fine. Lacking competition is one big thing.

That said, I do agree with others who say Model 3 has some unfortunate and risky compromises in it. The reason Model S worked so well in so many audiences is because it is a fabulous car for what it is - a fabulous and normal car. Very versatile, yet at the same time very normal.

Model 3 sacrifices much more of that normal with its interior and its trunk lacks the versatility of Model S, instead going for big glass for big effect. Those might make Model 3 less appealing to some audiences that might had been reached better with a less polarizing interior and more versatile back.

Yep, 2mm thicker door handles on the white, versus the original silver. If I had any more money to invest in Tesla, this would be the time. But I don't.

The better touch points will help Net Promoter scores. That change, right there, was worth 100 million a year in contribution dollars.

Another good design decision.
Ok, I have to ask. Curiosity is too overwhelming. Are you a non-native English speaker and posting through translation? Almost every post I've seen of yours comes off as quite odd. I mean no disrespect, but the verbiage used and phrasing is peculiar.

And again, you can tell 2mm difference in handle thickness? That is just over 1/16" and could hardly notice that on an object right in front of my face, let alone on something a few feet away. Anyway, I digress...

But isn't that the point of the TM3 interior? Start with the minimal, essential basics, some will like it and some won't. Everyone has a different definition of what essential is. For those that don't like it, they can clutter the interior with all the gizmos, gadgets, buttons, switches, bells and whistles they want. For example, I have a car with a HUD (and the digital speedometer is to the right). For me it is a non-essential piece of gizmology and seldom used. For those that can't live without HUD, they can tack on one of the HUD devices shown in a post above. Everyone s happy.

Maybe I'm the minority but I HATE the fact that I have non OEM cup holders let alone the 'solutions' that are out there for coat hangers and sun glass holders. These type of common items are not the kind of things I want to have to put in my car, I think they should come standard built into the car. Otherwise, you end up with half baked solutions like what's out there for the MS.

I agree with you. I like to have options of whether I want to pay for a certain 'accessory' built into the car. BUT, I don't like not having the option to begin with. If Tesla had an option to have the items I mentioned, I would have gladly purchased it at the time I bought the car. However, I still stand by my stance that things such as sufficient cup holders, coat hangers and sunglass holders should not have to be something you have to add on, I feel everyone uses those...but again, maybe I'm in the minority.

Reactions: alseTrick and Big-T
I like the minimalist dash, i prefer it over the Model S/X if i have to be honest. Much better then going in the other direction. How about this one f.e :) (MG E-Motion)

az8x1821_0.jpg

I'm not sure if you're saying that's minimalist or not.

But I like it (speaking of the "empty" 2/3 of the dash on the right side). It looks premium. It has styling. It looks significantly better than what I expect from Tesla and what we've seen so far.

Maybe I'm the minority but I HATE the fact that I have non OEM cup holders let alone the 'solutions' that are out there for coat hangers and sun glass holders. These type of common items are not the kind of things I want to have to put in my car, I think they should come standard built into the car. Otherwise, you end up with half baked solutions like what's out there for the MS.

I agree with you. I like to have options of whether I want to pay for a certain 'accessory' built into the car. BUT, I don't like not having the option to begin with. If Tesla had an option to have the items I mentioned, I would have gladly purchased it at the time I bought the car. However, I still stand by my stance that things such as sufficient cup holders, coat hangers and sunglass holders should not have to be something you have to add on, I feel everyone uses those...but again, maybe I'm in the minority.

Nah, I'd say the car market in general suggests you are in the majority. :)

Reactions: Big-T
Why does everyone keep mentioning the "feels like a spaceship" comment when they're talking about the interior or dashboard. Elon specifically said the "steering controls and system" feel like a spaceship. That has nothing to do with the seats, the dashboard, the instrument cluster, etc. It's the steering system...

and by "feels" he very well could have meant physically "feels like", not how most people are taking it, like "seems like". Maybe the way to wheel turns or adjust has the feeling of a spaceship vs old steering mechanisms. Just a thought.

Also, if what we are seeing in the cars driving around is final, why do we need a final reveal in July? When both the S and X final reveal happened, we saw things we hadn't previously seen. Notice they are not hiding anything in these cars. No camouflage, no covered dash. Basically, everything both inside and out, minus a few extremely minor changes, is exactly the same as the car we all saw over a year ago. That goes against needing a "reveal".

Reactions: Laban and JeffK
Maybe people should stop freaking out about the interior until we've actually had a clear view of the interior. For all we know they do have those things people are griping about, but haven't seen it yet due to a lack of a clear interior shot.

Reactions: jgillispie
This photo shows something I had not seen before (but perhaps has already been commented on somewhere in the more than 2,000 posts in this thread): in the front bumper directly in front of the headlight is a small round cutout. What is that? Removable piece for the tow eye bolt? No matter what it is, this white 3 looks fantastic!
I actually think that is the reflection of the picture taker's backpack or something. You can clearly see that the picture was taken from behind a closed vehicle window.

Also, if what we are seeing in the cars driving around is final, why do we need a final reveal in July? When both the S and X final reveal happened, we saw things we hadn't previously seen. Notice they are not hiding anything in these cars. No camouflage, no covered dash. Basically, everything both inside and out, minus a few extremely minor changes, is exactly the same as the car we all saw over a year ago. That goes against needing a "reveal".
Maybe to reveal the available options and pricing? Also maybe hand out keys to the owners of the first cars off the production line?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Why does everyone keep mentioning the "feels like a spaceship" comment when they're talking about the interior or dashboard. Elon specifically said the "steering controls and system" feel like a spaceship. That has nothing to do with the seats, the dashboard, the instrument cluster, etc. It's the steering system...

People are making fun of Model 3 interior. No?

The iPhone gave people a new way to use a cellphone, and added more features than ever seen before. Model 3 is removing features and restricting the user experience. "Do you need those things in a taxi?" It's the exact opposite of the iPhone.

I disagree. It's the same focus on the things that matters my opinion. My 2006 Nokia 73 had "features". It had a web browser, you could check your mails. It had a camera. But the user interface was crap. Much like the small screens on the BMW 3 series, Audi A4 examples in this thread.

The Model 3 might lack the second screen, the adjustable air vents. But, it has auto pilot, large usable screen for navigation, playlists (Spotify), over the air updates that actually makes the car better over time. Something that the current BMW 3 series, Audi A4 lacks. That's what i would call "restricting the user experience".

However, I still stand by my stance that things such as sufficient cup holders, coat hangers and sunglass holders should not have to be something you have to add on, I feel everyone uses those.

Believe me, I sympathize with you. The fact that I wouldn't use those items does not mean that you wouldn't use them. And certainly, it would be better to have these items integrated into the total design. But where the TM3 differs from the MS is economies of scale. With 400K+ reservations there will be a large aftermarket demand for all items to customize your TM3 more so than the MS with its current relatively limited production. I believe that there will be some aftermarket companies that will come up with creative designs to integrate the items you want into the TM3 interior in a tasteful manner. I've been down this road with other vehicles and it will happen.

Reactions: BluestarE3
Believe me, I sympathize with you. The fact that I wouldn't use those items does not mean that you wouldn't use them. And certainly, it would be better to have these items integrated into the total design. But where the TM3 differs from the MS is economies of scale. With 400K+ reservations there will be a large aftermarket demand for all items to customize your TM3 more so than the MS with its current relatively limited production. I believe that there will be some aftermarket companies that will come up with creative designs to integrate the items you want into the TM3 interior in a tasteful manner. I've been down this road with other vehicles and it will happen.
Exactly. Apologies for bringing up the comparison to iPhones again, but look at the huge aftermarket for iPhone accessories. The numbers drive the market and the Model 3 will have the numbers to make car accessory makers salivate. Even if Tesla were to offer some of those gadgets as "official" options, they'd probably cost more than those offered by third parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.