Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 new USB C center console data hub from model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Durzel @smatthew I want to say thank you for investigating the retrofit adapter!

I am planning to move my SSD inside the console, so my footage can be safer even if somebody broke in my vehicle. My vehicle comes with USB-C, but I am afraid that hooking another USB hub and SSD before the Tesla Hub will not have enough current/voltage. Thanks for your valuable discussion here, so I could plan on wiring the power supply via the connector.

Reactions: Durzel
Seems that mouser is out of these parts. Anyone know where else to get these? I'll just put it together myself if I can source them easily.

Thanks to newly discovered (for me) Octopart.com, by way of Google, I might have found all the parts - sort of.

I was unable to locate a source for the TE Connectivity MQS connector housing, except at Farnell (UK), so if you can get someone to order it in the UK then ship it to you, that would work, but they don't ship outside of the UK. There's also some non-authorized resellers listed but all their pages are request for quote pages, so good lucky getting anything in a timely fashion from them, if at all at the low quantities any of us would want. And since the Metri-Pack 280 pins are only available in quantities of 250, perhaps it makes sense to then arrange for multiple connectors from the UK via whomever handles that too, then you can resell the extras of both things?

Links for the parts (keep in mind some may be regional only, i.e. Farnell is UK and won't ship to the US) - I listed the Octopart link first which will itself be a list of many possible sources, then I listed some in stock links for actual stores.

TE Connectivity MQS series connector parts
Part 936121-1 (housing - 1 per adapter)
936121-1 TE Connectivity - Connectors - Distributors, Price Comparison, and Datasheets | Octopart component search
Farnell (UK ONLY): https://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity/936121-1/automotive-conn-housing-plug-4pos/dp/3134644

Part 1-928918-1 (pin - 4 per adapter)
1-928918-1 TE Connectivity - Terminals - Distributors, Price Comparison, and Datasheets | Octopart component search
Newark: https://www.newark.com/te-connectiv...-pin-24-22awg-crimp/dp/84R0783?ost=1-928918-1
AVnet: Avnet: Quality Electronic Components & Services

Aptiv (formerly Delphi) Metri-Pack 280 series connector parts
Part 12052856 (housing - 1 per adapter)
12052856 Delphi - Automotive Connectors - Distributors and Price Comparison | Octopart component search
12052856 Aptiv - Distributors and Price Comparison | Octopart component search
Mouser: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aptiv-formerly-Delphi/12052856/?qs=/ha2pyFadujH2cYK3jYvFUjYYj9lz7hj%2BS/srsg8zqY=

Part 12052217-L (pin - 4 per adapter)
12052217-L Delphi - Automotive Connectors - Distributors and Price Comparison | Octopart component search
12052217-L Aptiv - Distributors and Price Comparison | Octopart component search
TTI: https://www.tti.com/content/ttiinc/en/apps/part-detail.html?mfrShortname=DCS&partsNumber=12052217-L (minimum order 250, but that's still only about $40 and you could potentially resell them on to others)

Part 15324456 (lock - 1 per adapter)
15324456 Delphi - Automotive Connectors - Distributors and Price Comparison | Octopart component search
15324456 Aptiv - Distributors and Price Comparison | Octopart component search
Mouser:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Aptiv-formerly-Delphi/15324456/?qs=/ha2pyFadugCQ39QZoZWsP2APWwKs6g%2BEfeWGJcvyMg=

Last edited:
Thanks to Cypho sending me some parts, I have completed my adapters. I've done this type of stuff a lot over the years, but not with connectors so small. I would recommend getting it assembled from someone if that is an option.

I"m curious as to what tesla is doing if someone damages their rear vent or there is an accident and it gets damaged or whatever, are we just ordering the new model 3 vent part or is this the only part? If so, Tesla must have a way to do this.

I"m curious as to what tesla is doing if someone damages their rear vent or there is an accident and it gets damaged or whatever, are we just ordering the new model 3 vent part or is this the only part? If so, Tesla must have a way to do this.

I would imagine Tesla would still carry the old part number. If it gets to the point where it's no longer available they might just tell you too bad so sad. Other makers do the same thing since by then you will be out of warranty.

In accidents, it'll be something you work with the insurance adjuster. The repair shop will most likely find junkyard parts or source it however they want to source it.

I would imagine Tesla would still carry the old part number. If it gets to the point where it's no longer available they might just tell you too bad so sad. Other makers do the same thing since by then you will be out of warranty.

In accidents, it'll be something you work with the insurance adjuster. The repair shop will most likely find junkyard parts or source it however they want to source it.

I have dealt with scenarios like you talk about over the years, but doesn't tesla have to make parts available for 10 years? Most model 3 are 4 years or less. That is a long time to keep this part sitting around. Would make much more financial sense to just have an adapter.

Also, What about warranty work,, my service center sucks, I mean seriously I could get better service at the local Honda dealer. Is anyone removing the parts if they go for service or they just hoping Tesla won't complain? My service center would probably make the excuse that I changed the rear vent and that is why the wipers aren't working.

I have dealt with scenarios like you talk about over the years, but doesn't tesla have to make parts available for 10 years? Most model 3 are 4 years or less. That is a long time to keep this part sitting around. Would make much more financial sense to just have an adapter.

Also, What about warranty work,, my service center sucks, I mean seriously I could get better service at the local Honda dealer. Is anyone removing the parts if they go for service or they just hoping Tesla won't complain? My service center would probably make the excuse that I changed the rear vent and that is why the wipers aren't working.

I doubt they would keep a part for that long. If there is a warranty repair they will figure out a way to fix it, even if that involves splicing and taping things. I had a hood tab that somehow melted from the body shop. Tesla was supposed to order a new one, but it was discountined and they couldn't. The mobile service guy said he ended up grabbing one from his boss's car.

In regards to the service center part, that won't change, that's pretty much their MO everywhere.

so I finally got around to changing the front console as the rear console was what I really needed for the kids. its all working, but the new tesla usbc charging pad doesn't appaer to be working. I know it worked at one point as I tested it before I put everything back together, however the USB C port is working fine, I tested it with a cable to my phone. Even when I tested it before putting it back together, it took a while before it decided to charge. Is this normal or do I have a defective one?

Reactions: APotatoGod
Have you tested it when plugged into a regular USB-C charger? (e.g. Apple one). Does it behave the same then?
Tested again later, so it appears its a crappy design, and the phone needs to be all the say down on the pad. If I take the tiny gel case off the phone moves far enough down that it will charge. The lip on the original plastic bar at the bottom of the pad is pushing the phone up slightly. I ordered a 3d printed extension from etsy that should fix the problem hopefully as Tesla wants a ridiculous amount for an extension piece on the bottom. The aftermarket pad I had didn't have this issue and would charge the phone regardless of where it was on the pad.

So to recap, I have an overly sensitive pad and I have to get a hub now in order to plug in my ssd drive and my controller so the kids can play games. Back usbc ports for the kids to fast charge their phones was a win. Front retrofit IMHO was a complete waste of time.

so I finally got around to changing the front console as the rear console was what I really needed for the kids. its all working, but the new tesla usbc charging pad doesn't appaer to be working. I know it worked at one point as I tested it before I put everything back together, however the USB C port is working fine, I tested it with a cable to my phone. Even when I tested it before putting it back together, it took a while before it decided to charge. Is this normal or do I have a defective one?
How hard was the procedure? Did it go smoothly? I've just started looking into doing this again, now that both of the family's phones support wireless charging.

How hard was the procedure? Did it go smoothly? I've just started looking into doing this again, now that both of the family's phones support wireless charging.
It's not hard but it will take you more time than you think if you're unfamiliar with prying car trim. The first time I did it took me about 4 hours because I was trying to be very careful. The second time it took me 1.5 hours (and I had the proper tools). Get some car trim tools to help with prying. Also, I 3D printed a spacer so I could fit my phone on the wireless charging dock in a case.

Definitely worth it, my devices charge at a reasonable speed now. Good luck.

Reactions: APotatoGod
It's not hard but it will take you more time than you think if you're unfamiliar with prying car trim. The first time I did it took me about 4 hours because I was trying to be very careful. The second time it took me 1.5 hours (and I had the proper tools). Get some car trim tools to help with prying. Also, I 3D printed a spacer so I could fit my phone on the wireless charging dock in a case.

Definitely worth it, my devices charge at a reasonable speed now. Good luck.
As he said, not overly hard, but the directions I read said 30 minutes, I guess that is right if you know exactly what you are doing, but for me, first time, it was more like an hour and would have been a lot longer had I started disconnecting the 12 v like the procedure said. however as I said, the aftermarket charging pad I had did the job just fine for 25 dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.