Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 not charging to limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks, I have been using the charge limit for my car in the app and usually set it to 80%. When I come back to the car it's often at 81%, so I assume it just overran slightly.

However, last night j set it to 60% as I'm not driving much at the moment and when I went out to the car this morning the charge is at just 57%, which seems quite a way off. In the app it even shows the charge level lower than the 60% set.

Is this normal? I guess it could be hard for the car to get it exactly correct every time, but 3% seems like a big miss. That said, when I first went into the app this morning it was flicking between 57% and 58%, so it must be right on the cusp between the two.

Hopefully this is normal.

Thanks

When warmer out during summer it will always show the correct amount. Look at the blue 88 on the top of my image. It's really 90 but 88 useable because it's too cold

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200402-082200_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200402-082200_Chrome.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 255
The state of charge meter depends on temperature, the car can consume energy sitting idle overnight, and it does sometimes overrun the set charge percent by a little bit for some reason. If you set the charge to 60%, it might have charged to 60% when the battery was a bit warm, then it stopped charging and sat awake for 2 hours consuming a percent or so, and the next morning it lost another percent when the battery cooled.

I’d guess there’s a reason why the car appears to sometimes stop right at the set limit, and other times it overruns. I’m not sure what it is, but it’s not a big problem, and how it’s been for whatever reason. Sometimes I see my car gain a percent after preheating, even though it was sitting unplugged and clearly using energy to do so. So temperature matters too. And be aware, sometimes it can appear to ‘loose’ one percent, when really it just lost a tiny bit, just enough so the car displayed one percent lower. In reality maybe it only lost 0.1%, but the resolution of the indicator isn’t stellar.