Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 not seeing SSID of wireless network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My Model 3 simply refuses to see the SSID of my networks available at home. I don't think it's an issue of signal strength as I can easily see and access the desired networks from my garage on my Iphone, and tablet PC. Of course the garage is where the car is parked.

Some actions I've taken:

I've taken a network extender and brought into the garage with no improvement.
My wireless network is running on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz and using WPA2
I've created a guest only network with no other devices on it.

Any suggestions on what else to do?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

My Model 3 simply refuses to see the SSID of my networks available at home. I don't think it's an issue of signal strength as I can easily see and access the desired networks from my garage on my Iphone, and tablet PC. Of course the garage is where the car is parked.

Some actions I've taken:

I've taken a network extender and brought into the garage with no improvement.
My wireless network is running on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz and using WPA2
I've created a guest only network with no other devices on it.

Any suggestions on what else to do?

Thanks in advance!

Wondering... do you have symbols or any "strange" characters in the SSID?

Reactions: ewoodrick
Try entering the SSID manually. I had to do this with my car. My hypothesis is that Tesla's UI hides all networks with signal strengths below some level, even when the signal strength is great enough for the car to connect to the network.

I had to install a plug-in wifi range extender near the garage because my wifi is at the other end of my house. Works perfectly now.

Hi all,

I have tried manually entering the SSID and password with no success.

There are no funky characters in the names; two are strictly letters and the third guest network has a hyphen (-) in it, but the name is unalterable. I don't think the hyphen would be an issue since of the three SSIDs the car does see (my neighbors), one includes a hyphen.

As I mentioned, I brought my Wifi extender into the garage and that still did not work. I know it was functional as my phone and tablet PC could connect to it.

I've also updated the firmware on the router, hoping that would help, but nope.

Hi all,

I have tried manually entering the SSID and password with no success.

There are no funky characters in the names; two are strictly letters and the third guest network has a hyphen (-) in it, but the name is unalterable. I don't think the hyphen would be an issue since of the three SSIDs the car does see (my neighbors), one includes a hyphen.

As I mentioned, I brought my Wifi extender into the garage and that still did not work. I know it was functional as my phone and tablet PC could connect to it.

I've also updated the firmware on the router, hoping that would help, but nope.

2.4ghz or 5? My tesla connects to a 5ghz connection but actually performs better on 2.4 (range, walls etc).

Which is your wireless network on?

This is a Tri-band router using this MU-MIMO technology, see if you can turn that feature off and just send raw signal from either 2.4 or the 5ghz. The issue is with this router if you can see your neighbors SSID, re-install your old router to isolate this.

Read the reviews on Amazon for a possible fix, this router has some issues.

This is from a user that found a fix:

“I say that because the fix for "Connected, no internet" for me was to disable MU-MIMO on the router. After logging in to the router's web admin interface, manually change the URL from "home.html" to "advanced-wireless.html". Look on the available tabs for the option to disable MU-MIMO. I disabled MU-MIMO and now my Samsung S7 Edge stays connected perfectly.”

Give that a try and let us know, Thanks

Fred

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin