Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Model 3", notz' M3".....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3 / Y, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Maybe this is being nit picky, and maybe there are many here who will disagree with me, but the "Tesla Model 3" is NOT an "M3". The "M3" is the name of a specific BMW model car, that is one of their "halo" cars. I believe BMW started using the "M3" Model designation in 1986, so it is not a "new" designation.

Dont get me wrong, I love my Tesla Model 3 performance. I even chose it instead of getting a BMW M3, as a "BMW guy" for over a decade of only BMWs in my household.

I get that its similar (and could even be deliberate on tesla's part which would be smart if so), but Lets call it a "model 3" or a Model 3P, or Model 3AWD, or Model 3LR, or Model3 MR.

Hoping I dont get flamed too bad for this PSA....

edit .. sigh.. cant even change thread title and it has a spelling error in it. Oh well...

10 years from now when BMW is bankrupt and no longer making cars, M3 = Tesla Model 3.

I dont think thats going to happen (but I did not post this to argue about BMWs merits or anything). I think tesla has done a great job of making cars that drive good, and forcing EV innovation. I think its much more likely that in 10 years BMW will have an EV in each model of their lineup (full Ev not hybrid).

That would actually be good for tesla fans, as decent competition may do things like push tesla to improve build quality, etc. Competition is good. Tesla is pushing all major manufacturers to provide and innovate in the EV space. Some decent reverse competition would be good for tesla, but I dont think its going to be meaningful for at least 3-5 years from the Merc / Audi / BMW space.

Anyway, calling something beside a BMW M3 an "M3" feels to me like calling something beside a porsche 911 a 911 (as an example).

I love my Model 3P though.. really love it. I thought I would miss the roar of the engine mode than I do (I dont miss it hardly at all). I thought It would feel awkward to use a tablet as the only interface (its not that bad, and I am getting used to it). I had no idea it would corner as flat as it does, or that the feeling of power would be instant and effortless. I love this car (its just a model 3, not M3, lmao).

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
These days of abbreviated names and acronyms... This subject came up in Teslamotorsclub forum back in 2016 when model 3 was introduced. People still called it M3 as shorthand mostly in Tesla forums. I think TM3 would be even easier and distinctive, but as the previous person mentioned...that ship has sailed.

I dont think thats going to happen (but I did not post this to argue about BMWs merits or anything). I think tesla has done a great job of making cars that drive good, and forcing EV innovation. I think its much more likely that in 10 years BMW will have an EV in each model of their lineup (full Ev not hybrid).

I totally understand how people might feel that way and there’s a real possibility it could happen, but history has a tendency to repeat itself. One could say at the time of iPhone release that Apple has done a great job of making phones with a nice touchscreen, and forcing touchscreen phone innovation. But in 2 years BlackBerry and Nokia will have touchscreens in their lineup.

• Funny
Reactions: Superendo
Relax, it's just Tesla forum jargon. In real conversations you would never tell someone that you just bought an M3 unless you meant BMW. I personally dislike Performance + / - more than M3 if I were to choose battles.

Relax, it's just Tesla forum jargon. In real conversations you would never tell someone that you just bought an M3 unless you meant BMW. I personally dislike Performance + / - more than M3 if I were to choose battles.
I dont like performance "plus" or "minus" either. There is one Model 3 Performance, but some of them have different tires and brakes. That doesnt make one a "minus" over another, it means one has bigger tires and different brakes.

• Love
Reactions: Msjulie