Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Number plate options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am running traditional black plates in NSW, they are both 254mm (w) X 134mm (h) and fit perfectly.

I remember going through the same ordeal. Tesla sales rep was good and provided as much information as possible and checked with the support teams.

Like others, I had to take delivery of my M3 with standard plates, then got to the local Service NSW and pick up my plates, grit my teeth, cross my fingers and hope the plates fit.
did you mount the number plate on the black plastic back plate? or directly to the body?

did you mount the number plate on the black plastic back plate? or directly to the body?
They are mounted on the black plastic back plate - these pictures may help.

IMG_1824.jpg
IMG_1822.jpg

Reactions: schnaxxl
I'll be getting a Model 3 this year and was just wondering what the License plate situation is like.

I have 4 character slimline license plates which are 291mm x 100mm and was wondering if these will mount on the front and back just fine?

Cars are registered drivers are licenced. Its a registration plate! Just taking the piss.

I seriously hate the short slimline plates we have in Victoria, if it was up to me, there would be a lot more standardisation of rego plates, should be same base as the regular slimline.

Reactions: Bennny
I picked up my M3LR this morn
then I spent a while swapping my black NSW Euro plates from my previous car - big rear one, slimline front
interesting that there is not a standard template for the spacing of the holes
I had anticipated a mounting problem for the back plate because the Euro one is much larger, and managed to get a backing plate thing that had numerous holes in it to cover various eventualities
even then I had to drill some new ones
the former car has gone off for buyback with the white slimline plates
now looking at the car, I like the look of the black plates on white
note that I quite like the boat-like front

I picked up my M3LR this morn
then I spent a while swapping my black NSW Euro plates from my previous car - big rear one, slimline front
interesting that there is not a standard template for the spacing of the holes
I had anticipated a mounting problem for the back plate because the Euro one is much larger, and managed to get a backing plate thing that had numerous holes in it to cover various eventualities
even then I had to drill some new ones
the former car has gone off for buyback with the white slimline plates
now looking at the car, I like the look of the black plates on white
note that I quite like the boat-like front

Why they call those plates Euro, i'll never know, Euro plates are not black, Euro plates don't have a slimline option, and lastly, its not Europe.

Why they call those plates Euro, i'll never know, Euro plates are not black, Euro plates don't have a slimline option, and lastly, its not Europe.
The original - white wide versions, only available starting in N with the NSW crest were Euro style plates.

Subsequent editions with black variations and other symbols are just a money making exercise.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
they’re meant to fit the space where the plates are mounted on European cars
I remember before EU standardised them that Italian cars had tiny front plates
Japanese cars have differently proportioned plates, and in NSW we can buy that style too

they’re meant to fit the space where the plates are mounted on European cars
I remember before EU standardised them that Italian cars had tiny front plates
Japanese cars have differently proportioned plates, and in NSW we can buy that style too

I know the plates have different shapes, but the standard Australia slimline plate fits easilly into the standard european appature, the Japanese plate thing is only an issue on specific JDM imports.

The point is that the plates are not only a shape to fit the appature, they a specifically styled after another juristrictions standard, Australia has its own standards. No other country that I am aware of has plates styled after another jusristriction (Beside NZ and its euro plates. If it was just a matter of shape and size, which is still not really a good reason, there would be no reason to make it appear Euro/Japanense/US whatever. They variety of silly number plate styles in this country is nuts, its anything but a standard.

The craziest thing is people are paying a volentary tax for this sillyness.

I know the plates have different shapes, but the standard Australia slimline plate fits easilly into the standard european appature, the Japanese plate thing is only an issue on specific JDM imports.

The point is that the plates are not only a shape to fit the appature, they a specifically styled after another juristrictions standard, Australia has its own standards. No other country that I am aware of has plates styled after another jusristriction (Beside NZ and its euro plates. If it was just a matter of shape and size, which is still not really a good reason, there would be no reason to make it appear Euro/Japanense/US whatever. They variety of silly number plate styles in this country is nuts, its anything but a standard.

The craziest thing is people are paying a volentary tax for this sillyness.
Voluntary tax where you get something you want is better than a compulsory tax for nothing.

Reactions: Bennny
So... saw this Model 3 in Hawthorn Vic. The car was delivered in Dec 21 and the owner decided to take the front license off but leave the rear.

Given the bird droppings and that the car needs a wash, its fair to say it's been like this for a while.

Front:
1648781569964.png

Rear:
1648781591030.png

So... saw this Model 3 in Hawthorn Vic. The car was delivered in Dec 21 and the owner decided to take the front license off but leave the rear.

Given the bird droppings and that the car needs a wash, its fair to say it's been like this for a while.

Front:
View attachment 788615
Nuts! Can't quite see from that pic, are the holes still visible from the original black plastic numberplate mount?

I received my JDM plates from PPQ (QLD) that I plan to put on my M3.

The JDM Slimline size for front and back - 372 x 100mm.

By the looks of the pre-drilled mounting holes, they should fit fine on the pre-installed number plate holder/mount.

View attachment 786894
So QLD slimlines fit onto existing Tesla mounts?

How about a covers for them? I don't like the holes that won't be used. I guess they can be filled in.

Reactions: MBau