Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Owner Wrecks in Europe, then blames everyone but himself.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't take this any longer. A guy posts various videos on reddit and you tube testing autopilot limits and showing himself not monitoring the situation and doing dangerous things.... is all over the internet acting sanctimonious complaining about autopilot and tesla. And then allows himself to wreck. I don't understand how anyone at Tesla or on the autopilot team works on these vehicles day in and day out, just to have some butt muppet blame them for wrecking.
Sad to see fanatics throw one of the biggest Tesla ambassadors behind the fire truck.
How long till you guys turn on Bjorn?

The guy charged for test drives on the 3. Come on already with the biggest Tesla ambassador nonsense.
Also, if he was truly an ambassador, he would’ve led with: “Road trip is over. I was looking at my phone at 120kph when my M3 crashed. It was in AP mode, but I was not prepared to take control in time.” Instead it was click-bait/bandwagon/fear-mongering headlines again.
At this rate, AP will soon be disabled because of the complacency and subsequent blaming. We are a long way out from full L5 autonomy. The only time I use AP now is on interstate road trips. I just don’t trust it or the myriad of other cars/scenarios enough to use around town.

Also, if he was truly an ambassador, he would’ve led with: “Road trip is over. I was looking at my phone at 120kph when my M3 crashed. It was in AP mode, but I was not prepared to take control in time.” Instead it was click-bait/bandwagon/fear-mongering headlines again.
At this rate, AP will soon be disabled because of the complacency and subsequent blaming. We are a long way out from full L5 autonomy. The only time I use AP now is on interstate road trips. I just don’t trust it or the myriad of other cars/scenarios enough to use around town.

That's essentially what he said in his lengthy statement? And in fact he was very supportive of Tesla and Autopilot in that statement. The headlines are not written by him.

Also, I don't think there's anything wrong for him to charge for test drives. His roadtrip can't possibly be cheap (shipping to Europe? yikes...), and I doubt the test drives would have been enough to cover his expenses.

I absolutely think he's a big Tesla fan and ambassador. If you consider everything up to the day before the accident, I think he has done more to promote model 3 awareness than almost any other individual on the internet, except for maybe the model 3 owners club.

That's essentially what he said in his lengthy statement? And in fact he was very supportive of Tesla and Autopilot in that statement. The headlines are not written by him.
When it first happened, he did not (his actual post, not articles by Electrek, etc.) elaborate on the phone distraction, just the fact that it was AP, suddenly veered, etc.
I don’t villify the guy for evolving/turning this into a profitable venture and do believe he is a Tesla proponent. That’s why he could’ve helped the image/situation with AP had he posted some of the self-responsibility facts up front.

Edit: just saw his post about tweeting Elon: “Hey Elon, this is what happened when AP *malfunctioned*”. Glad I’m not dead. Can you please investigate?”
He’s also stated that he’s fallen asleep while AP was engaged and it saved the day. All boils down to personal responsibility when using AP. If you’re not ready to devote 100% readiness to take over in exchange for lower stress and less discomfort on your drive, don’t engage it.

Last edited:
When it first happened, he did not (his actual post, not articles by Electrek, etc.) elaborate on the phone distraction, just the fact that it was AP, suddenly veered, etc.
I don’t villify the guy for evolving/turning this into a profitable venture and do believe he is a Tesla proponent. That’s why he could’ve helped the image/situation with AP had he posted some of the self-responsibility facts up front.

There was nothing wrong with his initial statement. From everything we've seen so far, it is quite likely that AP did not correctly handle the fork in the road correctly. This is consistent with what happened in the fatal accident in California, and with videos posted by others after that accident.

Yes, he didn't take corrective action in time to prevent the accident, and ultimately it is his responsibility and his fault. But these are two separate issues that people need to keep their head clear about:
1) AP incorrectly swerved at the fork
2) You You did not save the car in time
Be very clear that *two* mistakes happened here, not one. The fact that the second mistake occurred does not excuse the first from occurring. People seem to say that somehow because of #2, or because he was reckless in some previous driving incidents, then somehow #1 is OK!? Tesla absolutely should make sure #1 does not happen, otherwise more accidents will occur for sure and more people will die.

If you read his full statement, he was very clear that he admits #2, and that he takes responsibility. I find that to be a lot more responsible and nuanced statement than a lot of the armchair commentators on this forum, because he gives credit where it's due, but is not shy about the problems as well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Haddock and croman
To be fair 120kph is normal motorway speed in Europe, and the corners are designed to be taken without slowing down usually.

Can't say for sure without seeing the location of the crash but it's not clear if he was driving dangerously or not. AP on unfamiliar roads with different markings to the US and western Europe...

Just curious if any member of the Fan Club has ever seen an AutoPilot disaster that might qualify as a Tesla-induced problem? Perhaps we have the only Tesla that enjoys darting into other lanes and barriers for no logical reason and with absolutely no advance warning.

Just curious if any member of the Fan Club has ever seen an AutoPilot disaster that might qualify as a Tesla-induced problem? Perhaps we have the only Tesla that enjoys darting into other lanes and barriers for no logical reason and with absolutely no advance warning.
If your Tesla does that on straight well marked roads do not STOP, do not pass GO, go straight to the Service Center.
However if your Tesla tries to kill you at gore points, when the sun is low and in front of you or does not park perfectly every time relax, you are in good company. AP is an assist and a great one. No one is forced to buy or use it.

Nor is calling supporters of Tesla and its vision “fanboys” helping. :rolleyes:

No, "supporters of Tesla and its vision" are absolutely not fanboys. Fanboys are people who do not see faults with the car when criticism is due.

I think I'm a "supporters of Tesla and its vision," but I'm not a fanboy. I've held on to TSLA stock for years, I use EAP every chance I get, probably more than many people on this thread. From the looks of it, it seems You You did too.

No, "supporters of Tesla and its vision" are absolutely not fanboys. Fanboys are people who do not see faults with the car when criticism is due.

I think I'm a "supporters of Tesla and its vision," but I'm not a fanboy. I've held on to TSLA stock for years, I use EAP every chance I get, probably more than many people on this thread. From the looks of it, it seems You You did too.

criticize all you want, it is an in progress system. reading the HUGE disclaimer before you can even turn it on lets you know that well. Like you i use AP whenever possible. however, if i am traveling on a road i have never seen before i sure as *sugar* would not be dicking around on my phone or have my face buried in the nav system.

criticize all you want, it is an in progress system. reading the HUGE disclaimer before you can even turn it on lets you know that well. Like you i use AP whenever possible. however, if i am traveling on a road i have never seen before i sure as *sugar* would not be dicking around on my phone or have my face buried in the nav system.

I agree. And we should criticize when we do see these problems, so they can be fixed.

Attacking the victim of a car crash (and yes he is a victim even if it is due to his carelessness) is in poor taste. Especially when I think he's really on our side.

Reactions: NerdUno
There was nothing wrong with his initial statement. From everything we've seen so far, it is quite likely that AP did not correctly handle the fork in the road correctly.
[snip]
1) AP incorrectly swerved at the fork
Unless you were there and witnessed the accident, you don’t know this as a fact, do you?

Given he said he noticed suspension noise earlier, could it not have been a factor? I had a lower control are crack in half on a 1967 Chevy once, and the car veered at a sharp angle across two lanes, jumped the curb and slammed into a railroad crossing retaining wall.

Unless you were there, and saw what happened, you stating events as though they are facts is unwise, IMHO.

I was taking a glance at the navigation on my phone, and was not paying full attention to the road.

I don't buy the ''glance" or "full" part -- he wasn't paying any attention.

Sad to see fanatics throw one of the biggest Tesla ambassadors behind the fire truck.

He threw himself in the barrier. We're not throwing him anywhere but simply commenting on where he went wrong. If that means he has it coming, so be it. I've gone hard on Tesla when they've deserved it, but what I find sad is to see someone who is willing to give a pass just because someone has self-appointed himself as a Tesla ambassador and went on a road trip.

Unless you were there, and saw what happened, you stating events as though they are facts is unwise, IMHO.

Except... he was there and he's stating it as fact... But you're not believing him?! Somehow you think your doubts are more reliable than his first hand experience?

He may be mistaken, but you're far far more likely to be mistaken, by your own standard. And by my standard, which is what we've seen from past accidents that are similar.

I based my post on what he has publically written, and there's nothing wrong with that. You seem to be very willing to cherrypick what you like to hear from him. Things like suspension problems, or looking at his phone are believable. But when he criticizes AP, then he's no longer credible? I'm sorry, but I'd rather give him more benefit of the doubt.

Last edited: