Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance - 1 month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any other P3D+ owners wanna share their experience? I’d like to here.

Does the acceleration ever get old for you guys? Or do you eventually get use to it?

I have what may be an opposing view. I'm about 3 weeks into P3D+ ownership. Had ordered a P3D- but changed it when I learned about Track mode. Coming from a 2002 Chevy Avalanche that got 11mpg, but most of my milage has been on fast motorcycles.

Here goes. Yeah the acceleration never gets old. BUT, I'm questioning whether it was worth the cost. I'm finding myself rarely using the extra acceleration capabilities. Either because I know I have it and therefore drive slower (weird psychological thing, cause I definitely drove the truck faster), or because I'm in traffic and can't use it (SF Bay Area). And compared to my bikes, it isn't faster. I guess I won't know for sure if it was worth it until I drive a RWD regular M3, but just wanted to share that I'm still not fully convinced that the P was worth the extra cost.

Oh, and the 20" wheel are crap IMO. Harsh ride, BIG hit on range. Maybe it would be different if I lived somewhere where the roads were not falling apart. Really wish Tesla hadn't made that comment about limiting track mode as I'd be on 18"s or aftermarket 19"s... Will probably change the wheels once my bank account recovers.

Mine now has 5,200 miles, all accumulated between Sept 12 and 24. Compared to anything I have previously owned (including everything from Ferrari, Porsche and Maserati to Nissan, BMW, Jaguar and Audi) the P3D+ is much more enjoyable. The handling is quite 911-like, with very quick bit stable response. At very high speeds it is both stable and quiet.

In all those miles I have had 263 Wh/mi average. That compares with 327 Wh/mi for my P85D with very similar driving habits. The P3D+ also charges more quickly than did the S. With usable capacity of 81.5 kWh on the S and 78.3 kWh on the 3, the difference is only a trifle more than 4%. That strongly suggests that chemistry and other characteristics of the Model 3 batteries represent substantial advantages. In particular the taper begins, it seems, at a higher SOC than it does on earlier batteries.

My car had an accident in Quebec when a truck pulling a trailer passed in a no-passing zone and abruptly cut my car off. No damage to the driver of my car nor to me. The policeman on the site, who was following the speeding truck, was surprised that the damage seemed so minor. It is now in a body shop for an expected repair time of 30 days plus parts wait. Astoundingly the car drove fairly normally, so after minor repairs at the Tesla Quebec service we drove it back to Florida. The autopilot functions performed well, despite the loss of two sensors. Obviously I did not trust it. The accident was pretty horrible for a car two weeks old, especially, but the superb design and build quality made the accident far less serious than it might have been in a lesser vehicle.

On balance, this is unquestionably the most pleasing vehicle I have ever experienced. I plan to keep it a very long time, assuming the repairs go well.

I have what may be an opposing view. I'm about 3 weeks into P3D+ ownership. Had ordered a P3D- but changed it when I learned about Track mode. Coming from a 2002 Chevy Avalanche that got 11mpg, but most of my milage has been on fast motorcycles.

Here goes. Yeah the acceleration never gets old. BUT, I'm questioning whether it was worth the cost. I'm finding myself rarely using the extra acceleration capabilities. Either because I know I have it and therefore drive slower (weird psychological thing, cause I definitely drove the truck faster), or because I'm in traffic and can't use it (SF Bay Area). And compared to my bikes, it isn't faster. I guess I won't know for sure if it was worth it until I drive a RWD regular M3, but just wanted to share that I'm still not fully convinced that the P was worth the extra cost.

Oh, and the 20" wheel are crap IMO. Harsh ride, BIG hit on range. Maybe it would be different if I lived somewhere where the roads were not falling apart. Really wish Tesla hadn't made that comment about limiting track mode as I'd be on 18"s or aftermarket 19"s... Will probably change the wheels once my bank account recovers.

I'm with you there. I did stick to a P3D- (I did what you said, got aftermarket 19"s and sold my 18"s to save some money) but even then I don't have opportunities to use it as much as I'd like. It would have probably been best if I just got an AWD but then I'd probably say I wish I got the performance version! haha. I only chimed in on this because I'm in traffic so much that I was just thinking about it, even though I love my car!

• Informative
Reactions: Quinndo
Unless I'm missing something, I find the Speed Chime useless.
The problem is, that is the default relative PSL speed Cruise/AutoPilot will use.

I don't want to drive at the speed the chime will sound.

It needs two Speed settings. One for Chime and one for Default Cruise/AutoPilot.

I'd probably set Default Cruise at 0 to +5
I'd probably set Chime at +10 to +12

For Cruise my Jeep always did current Speed.
For Verbal Overspeed warning I set it to +12 and it worked perfect. (didn't go off to much and always did when it should).

Model 3, it's hard to predict what Speed Cruise will go to. Last Set Speed, Current Speed or PSL + Offset Speed.
It varies if you are under or over current PSL speed. It's also hard to predict if it will move with PSL. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I hope V9 improves this area.

I ended up setting offset to 0 and shutting the chime off to make it behave halfway sane.

Reactions: firebat

It needs two Speed settings. One for Chime and one for Default Cruise/AutoPilot.

I'd probably set Default Cruise at 0 to +5
I'd probably set Chime at +10 to +12

Model 3, it's hard to predict what Speed Cruise will go to. Last Set Speed, Current Speed or PSL + Offset Speed.
It varies if you are under or over current PSL speed. It's also hard to predict if it will move with PSL. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I hope V9 improves this area.

I ended up setting offset to 0 and shutting the chime off to make it behave halfway sane.
It seems few people know that on Model 3 if you set to cruise at any level above the speed limit, yu can return to the sped limit by simply touching the speed limit sign on the screen. That saves both time and complexity. Of course, TACC maximum sped is 90 mph.

When I found this quite by accident it suddenly made life with P3D+ easier. It really dislikes going slowly so that tap is quite handy.:eek:

So I am also an owner of P3D+ and I have to say I like it more every day. The acceleration is becoming part of me and part of the daily thrill from mundane everyday driving. I do have to watch the top speed but love the quiet and smoothness of the acceleration. In value proposition, I think the AWD is probably the best since the recent forum indication is that possibly the performance is just a software (firmware) upgrade. If this is true AWD is just as capable but less tear and wear on the same competent AWD motor which should make it more reliable. But people going for the P3D is more performance focused on people who are willing to pay more for that extra. It would have been nice if there were more easily recognizable differences in the external body styling cues as well as more luxurious internal styling cues. Oh well, it is what it is and as it is, it is still an awesome car!

P3D+ owner (Silver/white) for one week now...air pressures were set to 46-48 psi at delivery so ride was pretty jiggly. Lowered to 42 psi cold and then to 40 psi cold. Now the ride is more than acceptable (firm and well damped) given the handling. Also own a Cadillac ELR which is downright plush (but not sloppy) and while I have to give the nod to the ELR's terrific seats, the Tesla's are very good. Acceleration is instant and addictive (the ELR, while torquey and more than quick enough for most situations is not even close.) Autopilot helps me keep things reasonable on the commute. The cabin is so different but I really like the lack of extraneous buttons/dials. The visibility reminds me of the first generation NSX I once owned. As Car and Driver said of that car, "It feels like you're riding on the head of an arrow." Same here. Arguably more car than anyone really needs but it is a revelation and given my intention to keep this car for a very long time the not insignificant cost will be amortized over a decade or more. Given the anticipated lower maintenance costs, the free supercharging for road trips and the fact that I already have solar/240v charging at home makes this a rational purchase (almost!) for me.

• Love
Reactions: 30seconds
Unless I'm missing something, I find the Speed Chime useless.
The problem is, that is the default relative PSL speed Cruise/AutoPilot will use.

I don't want to drive at the speed the chime will sound.

I noticed the same thing, and ended up disabling my speed chime. Having two separate speed settings like you describe would be perfect.

P3D+ here.

It’s scary how easy it is to get into trouble.

I’ve had this car in situations where I’d be in a ditch in any ICE car. The corrections the electric motors can make are astounding.

The road feel is surprisingly supple with the 20s. No harshness at all.

Average passenger reaction on the 0-60: holy f#{%**!!!!!

I’m not looking forward to finding new winter tires for this thing though. I may do a set of winters and then switch to all seasons next year, presumably if there are better options.

It seems few people know that on Model 3 if you set to cruise at any level above the speed limit, yu can return to the sped limit by simply touching the speed limit sign on the screen. That saves both time and complexity. Of course, TACC maximum sped is 90 mph.

When I found this quite by accident it suddenly made life with P3D+ easier. It really dislikes going slowly so that tap is quite handy.:eek:

Not quite. It depends on what you set the offset too. If you set the offset to +5, when you hit the PSL Icon it will set cruise PSL + 5.
And will also Chime at PSL + 5. If Chime is enabled. I forget if it chimes only when your controlling speed. I forget because I had to shut the chime off.

From 03/27/16 I always looked forward to the weekends because it meant I got to drive my wife’s X 90D. Launching 0-60 in 4.8 seconds for such a large and heavy vehicle was an amazing feeling until 08/19/18 when I got my P+. I haven’t driven her X since then.

Not quite. It depends on what you set the offset too. If you set the offset to +5, when you hit the PSL Icon it will set cruise PSL + 5.
And will also Chime at PSL + 5. If Chime is enabled. I forget if it chimes only when your controlling speed. I forget because I had to shut the chime off.
Possibly there may be exception. In my car with PSL+10 as the offset, pushing the icon reduces speed to the PSL. I have done this numerous times. Perhaps the logic has changed depending on the software version.