Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry you were offended, you show a join date of March 2015 and 230 messages posted. One would presume you've also read some of the relevant threads in the past 3+ years while waiting for your Model 3.

Post count does not make one an actual knowledge holder. It's sad that you have to attack me for my join date. You don't know why or what I did after joining (did you read all of my 230+ posts), so just because I joined on x date and have y posts doesn't mean I know everything or understand everything. It does show that perhaps I have a lot of enthusiasm for the car (which I certainly do). I have already admitted that TIL about the range/miles thing now.

I have driver the S and X, but that was over a limited timespan. The 3 is my full time EV, and as such there are thing that you pick up on and learn about that you do not when you have limited exposure to such cars. I hope you can be more understanding when Joe Sixpack makes the same mistake.

Plus as I pointed out the manual doesn't even make this point clear 100% clear.

Last edited:
I’m starting to have similar symptoms as the OP. Essentially the same numbers at 80% charging at home. I’m going to run the battery down this weekend and do a full charge to see what I come up with on Monday.

I did just supercharge to 85% at 265 miles of range which adds up; and then the car promptly lost 13 miles of range in one hour sitting in a parking lot. Very odd....

VIN around 22k, June delivery.

I’m starting to have similar symptoms as the OP. Essentially the same numbers at 80% charging at home. I’m going to run the battery down this weekend and do a full charge to see what I come up with on Monday.

I did just supercharge to 85% at 265 miles of range which adds up; and then the car promptly lost 13 miles of range in one hour sitting in a parking lot. Very odd....

VIN around 22k, June delivery.
For my month-old 3, every time I divide my rated range by my state of charge percentage I get only about 291-295 miles, so down 15-19 miles. Same calculation with my wife’s year-old S implies only about 8 miles of loss.

My latest charge to 90% is showing 263. I'm pretty sure it was in the 270s when I got the car. Just last weekend it was 267ish, so seems like a fast drop... 2 months old, but the last few weeks it hasnt been driven much (first at the Tesla SC for paint repair/detailing and then getting PPF all this week).

Sounds like maybe temperature has an effect on the car's measured SoC? It has cooled off quite a bit here...

I'm assuming if a cell is bad that it is covered by the warranty, so waiting until spring to see if it changes will not be an issue?

Well, I've just emailed Tesla, I may call service on Monday too to see if they can monitor remotley for me as well. This post is kinda re-assuring to see Tesla is taking this kind of range loss serious. My RWD LR 3 is exhibiting some battery loss I think, I've just noticed in the last two weeks I'm missing range.

At 7500 miles driven, I've lost about ~30 miles of range. 10% losses in 5 months.

Right now at 100% charge I'm seeing 282 miles of range. At 80% I see 220 miles. At 70% it's 198. I have not drained my battery yet to 5% to try to user "recalibrate" I won't do that untill Tesla instructs me to.

I drive midly, my lifetime average is 227wh/mi, I have the aero wheels on and to the recommended PSI, I charge to 70% SOC every night on my level 2 charger at home, I use superchargers usually once a month on longer outings.

Both of my other friends I know with model 3 long range have not experienced any range losses like this. Fingers crossed.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
I have a P3D+ on order, but just as another example my wife's X is just over a year old. She has put 28k miles on it and it still regularly charges between 264-266mi @ 90%, which is the same as the day we got it.

Also of note, there is data floating around here somewhere that hints that cars driven the hardest on average tend to do the best. My dad has an S he babies with only 6k mi on it in a year, and his pack is already showing more degradation than mine.

Anyone losing multiple miles that quickly should get it checked out!

Finally I found a thread with my exact problem. 1.5 month old P3D- with 3000 miles on it. I have charged to 100% a handful of times and never get over 295 miles. Pretty consistent 290 now. At 90% I am showing 260 miles now. I’ve been charging one 110v most of the time and not draining down very low, so yesterday I drained to 8% and am now charging back to 100%. I’m not hopeful though. I will be calling SC this week I think. If anyone else makes any progress please do let us know!

Finally I found a thread with my exact problem. 1.5 month old P3D- with 3000 miles on it. I have charged to 100% a handful of times and never get over 295 miles. Pretty consistent 290 now. At 90% I am showing 260 miles now. I’ve been charging one 110v most of the time and not draining down very low, so yesterday I drained to 8% and am now charging back to 100%. I’m not hopeful though. I will be calling SC this week I think. If anyone else makes any progress please do let us know!

Yes, please post your results. I plan on doing the same as well in the next couple of days.

@EvilCowPow, has there been any update to your status?

I've compiled a lit of users with >5% degradation from this thread, and a thread that is on the tesla.com forum, just for reference. These are users with cars with relatively low miles. While I understand degradation is faster in the early miles, 5% so early seems excessive. I know I never was able to charge past 295 when it was brand new.

The numbers seem to be pretty consistent at about 260 miles@90% and 290 miles@100%, which makes me think that just one cell is going bad in packs. If it was simply degradation I would think our numbers would be a little more diverse.

EvilCowPow, 90% 263,
Dannno, 90% 260,
RyanF, 90% 263
D3xDt3Reaction, 100% 291
stonelance, 90% 263
doubleatheman, 100% 282

tesla.com forum
ANTHONYROSEJR, 100% 290
Charg3d, 100% 290
fskott, 100% 291

@EvilCowPow, has there been any update to your status?

I've compiled a lit of users with >5% degradation from this thread, and a thread that is on the tesla.com forum, just for reference. These are users with cars with relatively low miles. While I understand degradation is faster in the early miles, 5% so early seems excessive. I know I never was able to charge past 295 when it was brand new.

The numbers seem to be pretty consistent at about 260 miles@90% and 290 miles@100%, which makes me think that just one cell is going bad in packs. If it was simply degradation I would think our numbers would be a little more diverse.

EvilCowPow, 90% 263,
Dannno, 90% 260,
RyanF, 90% 263
D3xDt3Reaction, 100% 291
stonelance, 90% 263
doubleatheman, 100% 282

tesla.com forum
ANTHONYROSEJR, 100% 290
Charg3d, 100% 290
fskott, 100% 291
Do you mean module? There are some 4000 cells in a pack. But only 4 modules. I doubt one or two bad cells would degrade range so drastically.

For reference I'm at 3k and 90% give me 273 miles.

Just started using Teslafi and I really wish I had started to use it day one. But I have charged 3 times since signing up and the battery degraded 1 mile over a few days. I should noted that when new 90% was the 279 and it stayed there till about 1k, then it dropped fast over just a few charges to 276 and then by 2k 274 and for now at 3k 273.

Status
Not open for further replies.