Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not posted in a bit. Checked TeslaFi yesterday and my 3 had officially reached the title of lowest range that TeslaFi was tracking. Today I see I have slipped to the #2 spot but still the story is if it is 217 or more you are within spec. Looks like most of the pack has leveled out where I just keep slowly going down. So that no one has to go back in post I am always plugged in and charge to 90%, every so often if taking a trip I charge to 100% and down to 10-20%. None of this seems to make a diff I have never seen a bump in reported range when doing a full charge and discharge cycle. Back several months I did put in a service for this and it was checked remote and deemed to be within spec. I am not really worried but I have to say I would feel better if I was somewhere in the middle of the pack and not fighting for first place lowest range. Again I use % in the car I don't pay attention to rated range I am just posting what I see on TeslaFI.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 10.54.38 AM.png

Just for giggles did not charge this week, ran the car down to 2% let it sit a few hours (I hear this helps the car to take readings) then up overnight to 100% and slight improvement. Now 7 vehicles have lower range so I am in 8th place. So out of the 58 vehicles so seems about 14% of the similar mileage cars low end range like me.

What I would like to see TeslaFi do is add in charging habits so that you could see if similar charging habits leads to the rated range. This could also provide info into what charging habits yield the most rated range. After all the charge history is there for every car could be interesting to see if there is any correlation.

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 8.48.38 AM.png

Just for giggles did not charge this week, ran the car down to 2% let it sit a few hours (I hear this helps the car to take readings) then up overnight to 100% and slight improvement. Now 7 vehicles have lower range so I am in 8th place. So out of the 58 vehicles so seems about 14% of the similar mileage cars low end range like me.

What I would like to see TeslaFi do is add in charging habits so that you could see if similar charging habits leads to the rated range. This could also provide info into what charging habits yield the most rated range. After all the charge history is there for every car could be interesting to see if there is any correlation.

View attachment 594564
Similar degradation but in only 3000 miles. Not good.

View attachment 594564
Damn,

Full charged for me now is estimated at 271 miles (100%)
It has been on a downward trend and i dont know if it will stop.
I think it is best to really not charged until you are low to help gauge how much kW your car really has.
I have done this recently and ran it down to roughly 2-3 percent. The car recorded a usage of 62 kW. I dont think I have ever see a consumption of 65 or greater during the time driving the car.
Maybe they sold me a 62 kW mid range car? idk.

Damn,

Full charged for me now is estimated at 271 miles (100%)
It has been on a downward trend and i dont know if it will stop.
I think it is best to really not charged until you are low to help gauge how much kW your car really has.
I have done this recently and ran it down to roughly 2-3 percent. The car recorded a usage of 62 kW. I dont think I have ever see a consumption of 65 or greater during the time driving the car.
Maybe they sold me a 62 kW mid range car? idk.

You should check out your VIN on one of the sites to make sure what you have if you really are not sure what they gave you.

But there are reports of LR cars getting way off calibration and reporting very low range. I just wish there was a way to get a more technical read on the battery. I don't care much about what the car thinks it can go I care about the battery state of health. Example since the beginning (2012) Nissan Leaf has had capacity bars that seems to do a good job at representing the battery SOH in available kW.

And how DO you charge? Can you list the last 2 months of charging, roughly if not perfectly? Is that just an extrapolation of your 100% or have you actually charged to 100%?
I have charged to 100% twice since owning this vehicle. Both times were for a trip.
55A0DC59-A92F-4323-913E-FFDE4095DE47.png 94E08C01-8E08-4CE1-8063-77448BB126A2.png 10B0BA82-7062-4C9D-AF4F-CBAC65B850BE.png 2F46AE98-3A72-4245-8B23-102069F00A4B.png 0DAE9644-2137-467C-A8AF-1A80429EACB9.png
I drive 100 miles (round trip) two times a week (yay COVID). Otherwise I generally leave the car plugged in.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
OK did some messing around just to see what happens below are the results.

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 8.50.12 AM.png

Decided to ignore the "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla" and let the car run down by just not charging everyday and just using the car until it was low.

1. Down to 2% up to 100% timmed for next days trip.
2. Down to 50% up to 90%.
3. Down to 15% up to 90%.
4. Down to 5% up to 90%.

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 8.59.35 AM.png

As you can see estimated range at 100% was hovering at about 282 then I did the 2% to 100% charge but not much improvement as there was a 90% charge just before at the same range. But after a few more down below and only back to 90% there was some improvement that seems to be sticking around.

Another thing I noticed is when the car is at a low charge under 10% you can see it is doing something. I noticed that the % starts to fluctuate while you are driving. Example you are at 7% it goes to 6% and then few miles back to 7% but I have been driving at a steady speed. So I think it is finding its bottom and calculating what the bottom really is just like it does when you charge to 100%.

At any rate my rated range is still low but I think this proves somewhat that charging habits can affect your rated range.

OK did some messing around just to see what happens below are the results.

View attachment 597697

Decided to ignore the "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla" and let the car run down by just not charging everyday and just using the car until it was low.

4. Down to 5% up to 90%.

View attachment 597698

As you can see estimated range at 100% was hovering at about 282 then I did the 2% to 100% charge but not much improvement as there was a 90% charge just before at the same range. But after a few more down below and only back to 90% there was some improvement that seems to be sticking around.

Another thing I noticed is when the car is at a low charge under 10% you can see it is doing something. I noticed that the % starts to fluctuate while you are driving. Example you are at 7% it goes to 6% and then few miles back to 7% but I have been driving at a steady speed. So I think it is finding its bottom and calculating what the bottom really is just like it does when you charge to 100%.

At any rate my rated range is still low but I think this proves somewhat that charging habits can affect your rated range.
This is really great, but I wish you gave a little more detail as to how long you maintained each different charging habit...what resulted in what effects, and what was the protocol for when you regained that bit at the end. Thanks.

This is really great, but I wish you gave a little more detail as to how long you maintained each different charging habit...what resulted in what effects, and what was the protocol for when you regained that bit at the end. Thanks.

The details are there maybe not clear.

4. Down to 5% up to 90%.

Meaning normally no matter what the charge was down to could be 85% even 89% I would just plug the car back in and charge it back to 90%. going with the "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla". Some more info before pandemic sometimes we would get down to 40 or 50% a few times a week but now and during pandemic most of the time it is only down to 70-80% once in a while lower. Looking at historical data there is no difference in rated range with either charging habit. The only way I improved it was by going low below 20% and charging back up to 90% or more.

So what I have been doing is just use the car each day and only charge when it is down to 20% or less. Now last charge from last night I am still maintaining 287 rated max range. So it seems that shallow charging does have an impact on the 100% full charge rated range.

IMO a key observation:
I noticed is when the car is at a low charge under 10% you can see it is doing something. I noticed that the % starts to fluctuate while you are driving. Example you are at 7% it goes to 6% and then few miles back to 7% but I have been driving at a steady speed. So I think it is finding its bottom and calculating what the bottom really is just like it does when you charge to 100%.

I have good feeling if I were to keep exercising the battery low to high I will regain rated range. I think this would be most effective by going from 5% or less to 100% several times so the BMS gets a good feel where the bottom and top are.

The details are there maybe not clear.

4. Down to 5% up to 90%.

Meaning normally no matter what the charge was down to could be 85% even 89% I would just plug the car back in and charge it back to 90%. going with the "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla". Some more info before pandemic sometimes we would get down to 40 or 50% a few times a week but now and during pandemic most of the time it is only down to 70-80% once in a while lower. Looking at historical data there is no difference in rated range with either charging habit. The only way I improved it was by going low below 20% and charging back up to 90% or more.

So what I have been doing is just use the car each day and only charge when it is down to 20% or less. Now last charge from last night I am still maintaining 287 rated max range. So it seems that shallow charging does have an impact on the 100% full charge rated range.

IMO a key observation:
I noticed is when the car is at a low charge under 10% you can see it is doing something. I noticed that the % starts to fluctuate while you are driving. Example you are at 7% it goes to 6% and then few miles back to 7% but I have been driving at a steady speed. So I think it is finding its bottom and calculating what the bottom really is just like it does when you charge to 100%.

I have good feeling if I were to keep exercising the battery low to high I will regain rated range. I think this would be most effective by going from 5% or less to 100% several times so the BMS gets a good feel where the bottom and top are.
I hope you understand that you are not “regaining” range. You are simply dialing in the estimation. The amount of actual energy the battery holds and therefore the range is not changed by your charging regimen.

I hope you understand that you are not “regaining” range. You are simply dialing in the estimation. The amount of actual energy the battery holds and therefore the range is not changed by your charging regimen.

Yes exactly the guess of meter is just more accurate.

I have worked on other electric cars and for some reason Tesla just refused to put a reading on battery health like for example the Nissan Leaf. I think if there was a indicator which is clearly possible it would remove so many questions and posts about battery health. I mean on a Leaf I can check the health of each cell, display its voltage, dial into the actual health of the battery down to cell per cell just nothing like this for Tesla. Oh I am sure it is available in some hidden diag menu but we cannot see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.