Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SR+ failed battery replaced under warranty, with a very used pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People expect a new part because if they just put in the the exact used part that has the same flaw, then all that does is push out the problem out past the warranty period on purpose, not "fix" the issue.
Warranting parts for the period of the warranty is all you’re owed by a warranty.

EVERY manufacturer reserves the right to use remanufactured parts for warranty claims and essentially all them do exactly that. Expecting otherwise is not reasonable.

Reactions: Rocky_H and cwerdna
Warranting parts for the period of the warranty is all you’re owed by a warranty.

EVERY manufacturer reserves the right to use remanufactured parts for warranty claims and essentially all them do exactly that. Expecting otherwise is not reasonable.
The OP says very used battery, does that mean degraded?
My wrangler V6 engine was replaced by Stellantis with remanufactured engine and had a warranty, this engine was like new, not degraded
Crazy to get a warranty battery that’s degraded
Bad Tesla

I understand the kind of part tesla is obligated to provide under warranty. They're in it to make money. But why side with Tesla of all the company wants to do is make money?
I have no sympathy for a company that will keep installing bad batteries and run the clock out on warranty.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
The warranty terms are very clear, warranty replacements should have the same or better range/capacity than the original one did prior to the failure.

That seems completely reasonable.
It makes sense because as others mentioned, if they replace with a new one or close to new one every time, that encourages people to purposely push the battery below the 70% point or for it to fail to try to get a warranty replacement. With the current policy, there is no advantage to doing so, given Tesla may just give a battery that will barely last past the warranty, so all you would be doing is hurting yourself.

What evidence do you have to suggest this is the case? By basically all accounts the 3/Y batteries have proven to be incredibly reliable and have no significant design defects that I’m aware of.
From what I read here and elsewhere. If Tesla replaced the battery with another battery be it refurbished, and if the battery has the same capacity as a new one then it's OK.

Let's say you're Tesla and you have a warehouse full of remanufactured battery packs that will be used for Model 3 warranty repairs. They probably run the gamut from lightly used to older with more charge cycles. If you were running the business, wouldn't the goal be to match up the replacement pack specs to what the customer had that failed? They can't give everyone a pack with 2% degradation, otherwise there would be no way to recoup or reuse the more used packs in their inventory.

Let's say your battery never failed. After a certain number of years, the pack would degrade slowly but still work. Isn't that kind of what you have after the repair/replacement? The battery you got sort of mimics the performance of your old battery pre-failure...

We’re ok with refurbished batteries being used in Tesla warranty battery swaps
As I was with a refurbished engine in my wrangler
As long as the battery provides rhe expected range and provides the expected cycles, we’re good
Glad you revised you use of bad

Reactions: Rocky_H
Interesting update on this one. Ran the car for about a month and used the built in battery health cycle where it drains fully and recharges. No real change to life. A week ago the car stopped closing contactors reporting external isolation fault. I checked the values and they were actually 2x higher than usual, nearly 10000k ohm. This is weird to me as I work for a new hypercar company and deal a lot with the hv system and higher isolation is something I never came across as a problem, it’s usually low isolation. I eventually had the car towed into Tesla Long Beach and after quite a while of diag (they did give me a 2020 Model Y dual motor which I’m now considering switching to) they told me the pack is failed and they are completely replacing it again!

Interesting update on this one. Ran the car for about a month and used the built in battery health cycle where it drains fully and recharges. No real change to life. A week ago the car stopped closing contactors reporting external isolation fault. I checked the values and they were actually 2x higher than usual, nearly 10000k ohm. This is weird to me as I work for a new hypercar company and deal a lot with the hv system and higher isolation is something I never came across as a problem, it’s usually low isolation. I eventually had the car towed into Tesla Long Beach and after quite a while of diag (they did give me a 2020 Model Y dual motor which I’m now considering switching to) they told me the pack is failed and they are completely replacing it again!
Wow, a lot of bad luck 😞

Thanks. Is there a huge difference in price between the two?

Most of the experience with Tesla on this topic is in the model S and X subforums. I think for the model S, a refurbished battery is somewhere between $13,000 - $15,000, and a new one is around $20,000. I dont remember seeing a lot of chatter around model 3 battery replacement out of warranty, but the relative pricing is probably similar.

• Informative
Reactions: nicksp
Thanks. Is there a huge difference in price between the two?
I don't think the chances of getting a new battery is high, as Tesla is naturally going to prioritize those for new vehicles, most likely even if you repair out of warranty, you would be offered a refurb one because those would be the ones they would stock.

As a data point, refurb one for SR+ with 85% capacity costs $9000 according to this article:
Uber Driver's Tesla Model 3 Battery Dies After 120,000 Miles In 15 Months

Current Automotive got an invoice $16,550 for an LR (also refurb), of which the pack itself was $13,500:
https://www.currentautomotive.com/how-much-does-a-tesla-model-3-battery-replacement-cost/

I haven't seen anyone post an invoice of a brand new one, so I'm not sure if it is even offered at all.