Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 SR+ failed battery replaced under warranty, with a very used pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unrelated, what's up with the all the SRs getting BMS_a066 lately? It feels I'm seeing 2-3 of them a week on TMC or Reddit. I thought it might've been LFP chemistry at first, but 2019 was still NMC.

So it sounds like followed the terms of the warranty, and put you back to where you were before the failure.
I would never expect to be made "more than whole" in situations like this, even though I have before - I just considered it a lucky bonus.

I saw this for years on the 2017-2019 Honda Ridgeline that had a 6-speed transmission with an unusually high failure rate. Owners would get remanufactured transmissions under warranty and get upset that they didn't get new ones. 🤷‍♂️

It's as if some people expect to be compensated for their inconvenience by being given a product better than the one that failed. I guess I see the psychology in that, but that's not how warranties work. :)

I just received my 2019 M3 sr+ back from Tesla after a failing HV pack displayed BMS code a066 for a few days, then eventually stopped charging. With Teslogic I could see a 30%+ degradation and a large cell voltage min max. Displayed max range was below 180 miles.
View attachment 982761
View attachment 982762
The dealership agreed it needed a new battery and I drove the car for a week until it would no longer charge. Dealership said the battery was ordered. My wife brought the car in for me when it would no longer charge and they gave us a 2019 M3 Dual motor as loaner.

Car was out of my hands less than a week before it was ready to pick up. The first thing I checked was Teslogic and the battery is definitely not new and actually quite heavily degraded. Quite disappointing to see such wear after a service like that. Anyone have a different experience?
View attachment 982763

The Max capacity when new value of 55.4 kWh in your report seems to be off. I have the same vehicle (2019 M3 SR+) and the max capacity is 52.5 kWh according to @AlanSubie4Life. My battery capacity now is slightly less than your new one (45 kWh capacity instead of 45.5 kWh) and the degradation is 14.2%. Still not great, but not nearly as bad as the 20.8% reported by Teslogic. I also get the same rated range at 100% SoC (205 miles). So I don't think your battery has degraded nearly as much as you think.

1697643786713.png

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The Max capacity when new value of 55.4 kWh in your report seems to be off. I have the same vehicle (2019 M3 SR+) and the max capacity is 52.5 kWh according to @AlanSubie4Life. My battery capacity now is slightly less than your new one (45 kWh capacity instead of 45.5 kWh) and the degradation is 14.2%. Still not great, but not nearly as bad as the 20.8% reported by Teslogic. I also get the same rated range at 100% SoC (205 miles). So I don't think your battery has degraded nearly as much as you think.

View attachment 983178
Yes, 55.4kWh is not correct. There should be plenty of SMT read screen captures out there showing Full Pack When New value (which is about 52.5kWh).

Not sure how Teslogic is coming up with this info, though. It seemed to get it right the first time with the old pack (52.4kWh). If it's reading this 55.4kWh from the pack, that's difficult to explain (however that value does not represent anything physical, it's just a value assigned to the pack that doesn't guarantee where the pack started).

Yes, 55.4kWh is not correct. There should be plenty of SMT read screen captures out there showing Full Pack When New value (which is about 52.5kWh).

Not sure how Teslogic is coming up with this info, though. It seemed to get it right the first time with the old pack (52.4kWh). If it's reading this 55.4kWh from the pack, that's difficult to explain (however that value does not represent anything physical, it's just a value assigned to the pack that doesn't guarantee where the pack started).
Maybe the new pack is one from a newer vehicle and therefore higher original capacity then the battery it replaced?

Yep.

Seems to be very common with all aftermarket apps not to know and to instead wildly guess the original capacity.
From my kept in head statistics, by mental arithmetic, it seem to be a at least 80-90% probability that you get a original capacity thats far off the real one.

In this case, we can hope that the app could calculate the range ( ~ capacity) good enough to be able to make a good compare between before and after.

Looks like the replacement batt is in line eith the warranty.

Maybe the new pack is one from a newer vehicle and therefore higher original capacity then the battery it replaced?
I doubt it since this value being the “true” value would make it LFP.* Much different weight, etc.

(Yes, you are probably correct.)

Again, first question is how Teslogic got this value. It looks like it accessed CAN bus so in theory should be reading straight from pack. (Looked at Teslogic website and it looks similar to SMT.)

It seems possible to me that part of Tesla’s refurb process hard coded the wrong value for this pack (since it is of no consequence).

However, I have no idea. It is odd, but again it does not really mean anything since this value can probably be set arbitrarily by Tesla. Just a curiosity. Not reflective of capacity loss.

* I need to review this. I thought that the 2170L pack had FPWN of 53.5kWh but now I am thinking it was similar to the LFP pack…Will do some looking at old posts. I lose track.

Here we go:

Why is home charging only 32 amps on SR when supercharging is so much faster?

So seems most likely this is a 2170L pack (or at least has that FPWN value applied). I was wrong with above.

55.4kWh is FPWN for 2170L pack. Though they typically started closer to around 53.5kWh, or at least that was the degradation threshold.

55.1kWh is FPWN for LFP (the temporary short-term LFP pack). Hence my confusion.

Probably it actually is a 2170L pack, but hard to say whether they overrode the hard-coded value or not. Probably is just 2170L, though.

Last edited:
I saw this for years on the 2017-2019 Honda Ridgeline that had a 6-speed transmission with an unusually high failure rate. Owners would get remanufactured transmissions under warranty and get upset that they didn't get new ones. 🤷‍♂️

It's as if some people expect to be compensated for their inconvenience by being given a product better than the one that failed. I guess I see the psychology in that, but that's not how warranties work
However, in some cases, the warranty (or recall) replacement part was a better one, because the vehicle company chose to make an improved design that had a lower failure rate than one with a high failure rate, or because a newer variant in production that was better was a drop-in replacement for the old one.

Examples of the former include various parts in early 2000s Volkswagens (window regulator clips, mass airflow sensors, brake lamp switches, hazard / turn signal flashers, etc.). An example of the latter was the 2017-2019 Chevrolet Bolt batteries that were recalled due to some having defects that could cause fires. The replacements were of a newer type that had slightly higher capacity, probably because it made no sense to restart production of the older variant that probably cost more anyway.

So it is possible that if Honda had determined the cause of high rates of failure in the Ridgeline transmission, the remanufactured warranty replacement many have had the weak parts replaced by more robust ones.

I just received my 2019 M3 sr+ back from Tesla after a failing HV pack displayed BMS code a066 for a few days, then eventually stopped charging. With Teslogic I could see a 30%+ degradation and a large cell voltage min max. Displayed max range was below 180 miles.
View attachment 982761
View attachment 982762
The dealership agreed it needed a new battery and I drove the car for a week until it would no longer charge. Dealership said the battery was ordered. My wife brought the car in for me when it would no longer charge and they gave us a 2019 M3 Dual motor as loaner.

Car was out of my hands less than a week before it was ready to pick up. The first thing I checked was Teslogic and the battery is definitely not new and actually quite heavily degraded. Quite disappointing to see such wear after a service like that. Anyone have a different experience?
View attachment 982763
Dealer? Not Tesla direct?

• Funny
I will charge when it hits 50%, used to be 90% (above 400km) and stop, then head back home, usually it went back to 80 when arrive home.

I have home office and other cars, but keep to drive at least 2-3 times a week. Just email Tesla CS, see if they will remote diagnose my car first.

Reactions: AAKEE
Tesla called, they remote diagnosed my car saying there is something wrong with the HV battery (did not specify what went wrong). They said will replace the ENTIRE battery pack under 8 yr warranty, but getta wait for shipment first.

I would never expect to be made "more than whole" in situations like this, even though I have before - I just considered it a lucky bonus.

It's as if some people expect to be compensated for their inconvenience by being given a product better than the one that failed. I guess I see the psychology in that, but that's not how warranties work. :)

People expect a new part because if they just put in the the exact used part that has the same flaw, then all that does is push out the problem out past the warranty period on purpose, not "fix" the issue.

Reactions: DrChaos