Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Spacers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a LR AWD w/ the 20" performance wheels. Do spacers that exceed 6mm not work for non performance models with 20" perf wheels? I was thinking of doing 15mm and 20mm in the rear from blox but didn't realize possible fitment issue until reading this.

The issue is with the 20" perf wheels (when trying to use spacers with integrated lugs). So, doesn't matter if LR/P3D, etc.

Ok, for those of you entering this thread now and not wanting to go through everything, please refer to this post

A 10mm studless spacer will not 1) give you enough thread stud engagement to torque down the lug nuts to factory 20in wheels and 2) give you enough hub depth for the wheel center bore to seat too. A 8mm studless spacer (for factory wheel) would be the limit per Ian Pavelko (Director of Technical Services) at Fastco Wheels per this video below. It's highly informative especially at 3:00, 10:40, and 14:45 (where he mentions the 8mm spacer) sections of the video. Also useful is his post (and proceeding post) regarding Model 3, Model 3 Performance, and Model 3 Performance w/PUO wheels here: Aftermarket Tesla Model 3 Wheels and Tires - Tesla Owners Online

As a FYI, this video was made in 10/2018 and since then Ian has confirmed the hex bolt is only on there to help hold the rotor in during factory installation. It's not needed afterwards.

Watch the video, it is worth it.

Again, if you want to improve the stance of your P3D+ with 20" OEM wheels:

For the rear, use a 20mm spacer with integrated stud. You don't need to remove the brake rotor screw
For the front, use a 5-6mm spacer (no integrated stud). If you can find an 8mm go for it...you can test it for the rest of us. Depending on the spacer, you may need to remove the brake rotor screw.

I think that was the mix up...I was planning on running a 15mm spacer with integrated stud on fronts and then 20mm in the back with perf wheels. Shouldn't be any issues right?

That WILL NOT work.

Again, if you want to improve the stance of your P3D+ with 20" OEM wheels:

For the rear, use a 20mm spacer with integrated stud. You don't need to remove the brake rotor screw
For the front, use a 5-6mm spacer (no integrated stud). If you can find an 8mm go for it...you can test it for the rest of us. Depending on the spacer, you may need to remove the brake rotor screw.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lindenwood and vogz
I have a LR AWD w/ the 20" performance wheels. Do spacers that exceed 6mm not work for non performance models with 20" perf wheels? I was thinking of doing 15mm and 20mm in the rear from blox but didn't realize possible fitment issue until reading this.
The issue isn’t with the wheels themselves. Performance models with the performance brakes have thinner brake rotor hats, so the wheel studs stick out further. Therefore 15mm spacers like the Blox that have secondary lug studs installed will not work because the factory studs stick too far past the face of the spacer and bottom out on the back of the wheel mounting surface. Since you don’t have performance brakes, you won’t have any issues running 15mm blox spacers up front. I have the Blox 15mm spacers that I bought and could not use sitting in my garage if you are interested, hit me up on PM.

I installed the 5MM spacer in the front but don't like the look. Needs another 5MM at the least. Whats the drawback if I shave off 1-2 MM off the factory studs to fit the 15MM blox spacers in the front? Will there be any issues if I decide to remove the spacer later on?

Ok I think that was the confusion there. I have a LR AWD (not a performance) with the 20" perf wheels so I understand I have a shorter stud length due to the thicker rotors. So 15mm blox do work on the front?

Yes. TypeRx has most of this right, but he is confused on what is actually causing the fitment issue. For example, many people are running 15mm front and 20mm rear spacer setups on NON-performance upgrade package cars, regardless of wheels.

I also tried to fit my 18” T-sport line wheels with the 15mm front spacers and the front studs bottomed out on those too. The lugs are longer on the performance model cars. That’s the issue, full stop.

Reactions: FAWKES and TypeRx
I installed the 5MM spacer in the front but don't like the look. Needs another 5MM at the least. Whats the drawback if I shave off 1-2 MM off the factory studs to fit the 15MM blox spacers in the front? Will there be any issues if I decide to remove the spacer later on?

No issues, but you will then have modified the car in a way that you cannot return it to stock without replacing the studs.

The issue isn’t with the wheels themselves. Performance models with the performance brakes have thinner brake rotor hats, so the wheel studs stick out further. Therefore 15mm spacers like the Blox that have secondary lug studs installed will not work because the factory studs stick too far past the face of the spacer and bottom out on the back of the wheel mounting surface.

^This is exactly the answer. It's only the performance upgrade brake pkg Performance models NOT the "stealth" Performance model.