Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Test Drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was a fleet of cars not one individual car. Are you talking about one bad battery experience in one individual Tesla S? Of course anecdotal bad or good experiences don't mean anything in a scientific sense. You've got to have bulk data. The available bulk data on battery life in Tesla's suggest that they have better than industry average longevity. At least for a lithium ion batteries. I'm waiting to hear about the new thin film lithium batteries which are supposed to be even better.

Hi Jeff

Hadn't seen that and thanks for attaching that link. But it still would have to be considered an outlier case, with major abuse of the battery system. The big picture I think is that Tesla has created an amazing heat management system for Model 3 battery packs, and all their cars really. Bottom line is I'm not worried about how the battery pack is going to age. It's going to age better than I am.:(:(;);)

• Love
Reactions: Krash
To be fair, the Dodge Hellcat (Redeye) and Demon are in this price category and both will beat the performance Model 3 on a drag strip. The Hellcat is at a slightly higher price than the base Performance Model 3 and the Demon is slightly more expensive than the fully loaded Performance Model 3.

If Tesla decides to unlock extra performance then this may no longer be the case in the future...

Just dug out some numbers. Tesla Model 3 published 0 to 60 is 3.5 seconds, but representative sampling across several tests is more like 3.2. It beats the SRT Hellcat, where the only published number I can find is 3.6, which is ridiculously quick for a rear wheel drive only car. In the quarter mile on the other hand, the Hellcat beats the Model 3 by about the same 4/10 of a second, 11.2 to about 11.6/11.7. So I'd call it a tossup. And for the first several hundred yards, it's not even close given the traction advantages and the computerized traction control of the Tesla. I would wonder if you put on 245/35-20 tires whether you can even improve those numbers, because the computer senses that you got more to work with. I want to get one of those G meters and see what its peak reading is. Feels like it pulls close to 1G.

Here's the drag race between a McLaren 570S, price approximately $212,000, difference in price approximately $140,000, difference in ET approximately .2 seconds in quarter-mile. It's a hoot to watch:
. You could get three model 3 performance cars for the cost of one McLaren 570S. You'd be lucky if you could get 20 miles per gallon in the McLaren :eek:. Meanwhile, the model 3P gets about 115. Or the equivalent anyway ;)

The Tesla Model 3P beats the McLaren to the 1/8 mile marker, and they are just about dead even at 1000 feet, but the McLaren obviously is closing fast, by the eighth mile marker. I would bet on a short road course where you could use its "point and squirt" all wheel drive, and amazing traction, with just a slight upgrade to 245/35-20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, this thing would kick but in terms of a lot of mid-engine sports cars costing megabucks.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Just dug out some numbers. Tesla Model 3 published 0 to 60 is 3.5 seconds, but representative sampling across several tests is more like 3.2. It beats the SRT Hellcat, where the only published number I can find is 3.6, which is ridiculously quick for a rear wheel drive only car. In the quarter mile on the other hand, the Hellcat beats the Model 3 by about the same 4/10 of a second, 11.2 to about 11.6/11.7. So I'd call it a tossup. And for the first several hundred yards, it's not even close given the traction advantages and the computerized traction control of the Tesla. I would wonder if you put on 245/35-20 tires whether you can even improve those numbers, because the computer senses that you got more to work with. I want to get one of those G meters and see what its peak reading is. Feels like it pulls close to 1G.
The Dodge Hellcat RedEye is not the typical Hellcat.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/dod...llenger-srt-hellcat-redeye-first-look-review/

2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye First Drive | Edmunds

It's a ten second car whereas the Model 3 is an 11 second car.

3.4 seconds 0-60 is also quite respectable. Its big brother the Demon is 0-60 in 2.3 seconds at only $6000 more than a fully loaded Model 3 and dramatically cheaper than a P100D

2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye First Look: Possessed by a Demon - Motor Trend

3.4 seconds 0-60 is also quite respectable. Its big brother the Demon is 0-60 in 2.3 seconds at only $6000 more than a fully loaded Model 3 and dramatically cheaper than a P100D

Isnt that with the Demon on slicks and passenger seat delete?

Here's the drag race between a McLaren 570S, price approximately $212,000, difference in price approximately $140,000, difference in ET approximately .2 seconds in quarter-mile. It's a hoot to watch:
. You could get three model 3 performance cars for the cost of one McLaren 570S. You'd be lucky if you could get 20 miles per gallon in the McLaren :eek:. Meanwhile, the model 3P gets about 115. Or the equivalent anyway ;)

The Tesla Model 3P beats the McLaren to the 1/8 mile marker, and they are just about dead even at 1000 feet, but the McLaren obviously is closing fast, by the eighth mile marker. I would bet on a short road course where you could use its "point and squirt" all wheel drive, and amazing traction, with just a slight upgrade to 245/35-20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, this thing would kick but in terms of a lot of mid-engine sports cars costing megabucks.

Great fun to watch but I would still take the McLaren over the Model 3. Dont get me wrong i will love my Model 3, but having driven a few McLarens it's just a different world.

Reactions: JeffK
Regarding the original question, 2 weeks ago I had a Model 3 with all performance options and AWD for an overnight test drive, because I mentioned to the salesman that I had a standard LR Model 3 and was considering upgrading it to the performance version to get the unlimited supercharging perk. Anyway, after turning it back in the next day, I concluded that I'm perfectly happy with my regular Midel 3, and haven't missed it since.

Great fun to watch but I would still take the McLaren over the Model 3. Dont get me wrong i will love my Model 3, but having driven a few McLarens it's just a different world.

You mean if somebody gave you the McLaren or the Tesla model 3 Performance to choose from, as freebies? What if you have to ante up the extra $140K? I'd love a Ferrari Italia 458, if someone was to give it to me. If I had a spare $250-300 K lying around, I still wouldn't buy one though. Love to have one on the weekend though, as a freebie loner!

Yup, totally impractical just made to beat the P100D in the 1/4 mile at a fraction of the price.

There is another fraction-of-the-price comparison that's a bit better from my point of view. That's how the Tesla Roadster smokes million-dollar hyper cars at a fraction of their ridiculous million plus dollars prices. 8 second plus quarter-mile, for what an entry-level McLaren goes for.

You mean if somebody gave you the McLaren or the Tesla model 3 Performance to choose from, as freebies? What if you have to ante up the extra $140K? I'd love a Ferrari Italia 458, if someone was to give it to me. If I had a spare $250-300 K lying around, I still wouldn't buy one though. Love to have one on the weekend though, as a freebie loner!
I wouldn't be able to afford the upkeep on a McLaren. I watched a pretty cool video on some of those on the Wikileaks Youtube channel. IIRC the owner was forced to spend nearly 100k a year in maintenance.

$100K in maintenance? Really? $10K might be more in line with what I have heard. Of course that's still obscene!

For the F1 at least (which is stupid expensive of course) Without driving it a single mile he figures 50k a year just on items that go bad over time. His first service quote was 250k, after just owning 4 months and with a factory inspection when he bought it!

Wow. Now I understand what you meant by the $100 K maintenance outlays – I thought you were talking about a contemporary McLaren 570. This just goes to show there's a sucker born every minute as a car junkie. That might be the most predatory pricing structure I've ever seen outside of military hardware. And it's clearly aimed to bleed people who are willing to pay for the cachet value of a McLaren. Crazy. And in terms of current cars, that car, even if it is worth $15 million (which seems high), is no longer close to best-in-class performance. For $250,000 you get a Tesla roadster that is by comparison bulletproof, and a whole lot faster.

Reactions: Nocturnal

2019 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye First Look: Possessed by a Demon - Motor Trend

I thinkthe P3D can beat the Demon 0-60 on the street in most real world conditions. It would take perfect conditions with an expert driver to hit 2.3s 0-60 in the Demon and it's only happening on a prepped track....

Vehicle Virgins hit 3.6s 0-60 on the street measured by the VBox (which includes rollout) best of 3 runs:

The P3D does 3.2s 0-60 on a VBox on the street

McLaren 570S....

I worry this inevitably results in the McLaren in a crumpled ball with the driver trying to shake the Model 3 driver that casually offered him a let-by and then stuck on him like glue for a lap or two.