Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance UP Mild springs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most coils are slightly stiffer. However, the two issues are:

1) the factory bump stops are designed around the extra inch+ of travel, so you will have very limited bump (up) travel before your spring rate increases dramatically. You’ll see a notably harsher response over larger bumps.

2) The factory dampers don’t have nearly enough rebound control. The dampers already had trouble keeping the factory coils from bouncing the car aggressively back up after bumps. Therefore, the stiffer springs will slightly exaggerate this tendency, resulting in a bouncy ride.

I had aftermarket coils to lower the vehicle, but got MPP Coilovers once I got into racing. Unfortunately, I can say the coils alone didn’t meaningfully change handling dynamics, but the car did look great still. If you don’t do a lot of sporty driving, don’t feel like you need to spend the extra $1500-2500 on full Coilovers. That said, depending on your terrain, you will notice somewhere between an unchanged overall ride experience, to a modestly degrade ride experience offset by how cool your car looks.

My car on coils (and wheel spacers).
3C18EA3B-A479-4A83-A007-6AAB93BA7F17.jpeg

UP says the Mild springs are way softer than the stock ones, so technically it should solve the rebound control problem of the stock dampers, and a 0.7 inch drop is exactly what I am looking for (will cut the stops in half to get more travel). I ordered the KW V3`s but now I am thinking that it`s too much money for too little improvement for street driving. That`s why I wanted to here from someone who actually has the Mild springs.

@musculobog Do you want to improve the handling? Or just lower for the look?

I second everything @Lindenwood said.

If you want any kind of handling improvement, replace the stock dampers/coilovers. Don't bother with anything else before that.

If you just want the look of a lowered car and aren't seeking any handling upgrade, then springs sure seem more cost effective. Is the 0.7" drop compared to M3LR or M3P PUP? If the former, then that is a properly mild drop and I think that's a good thing if you're going to pair them with the stock dampers.

One last note, I've seen some reports on here that the KW V3 for this car are very stiff. They surely won't have the underdampened issues of the stock suspension but they might be overly stiff for what you want. That's just what I've read here, not firsthand experience!

Reactions: XPsionic
@musculobog Do you want to improve the handling? Or just lower for the look?

I second everything @Lindenwood said.

If you want any kind of handling improvement, replace the stock dampers/coilovers. Don't bother with anything else before that.

If you just want the look of a lowered car and aren't seeking any handling upgrade, then springs sure seem more cost effective. Is the 0.7" drop compared to M3LR or M3P PUP? If the former, then that is a properly mild drop and I think that's a good thing if you're going to pair them with the stock dampers.

One last note, I've seen some reports on here that the KW V3 for this car are very stiff. They surely won't have the underdampened issues of the stock suspension but they might be overly stiff for what you want. That's just what I've read here, not firsthand experience!
I had the KV V3s on my 2019 RS5, the car handled like it was on rails, just incredible, did not seem too stiff for my taste, just glued to the tarmac. The thing is that the stock suspension is a little boat like, and somehwhat stiff, but compared to the RS5 with the KW`s, I really don`t get why people say it is terrible; to me it really does not seem that bad, it`s almost as stiff but not very compliant like the KW was; so I`m thinking that if I get rid of the stiff oem springs and get softer dual rate springs like the Mild supposedly are, might be a good solution cost wise. Dunno if the KWs are worth the extra 2k usd.

Reactions: SQ97 and XPsionic
UP says the Mild springs are way softer than the stock ones, so technically it should solve the rebound control problem of the stock dampers, and a 0.7 inch drop is exactly what I am looking for (will cut the stops in half to get more travel). I ordered the KW V3`s but now I am thinking that it`s too much money for too little improvement for street driving. That`s why I wanted to here from someone who actually has the Mild springs.
The “soft” part of the coils is softer than stock, but I would be surprised if that accounts for more than 0.5” of wheel uptravel before you hit the stiffer part of the coil and / or the bump stops (even cut). But, possibly still better than a linear-rate coil.

Reactions: XPsionic
The “soft” part of the coils is softer than stock, but I would be surprised if that accounts for more than 0.5” of wheel uptravel before you hit the stiffer part of the coil and / or the bump stops (even cut). But, possibly still better than a linear-rate coil.
Mostly agreed.

The OEM dampers aren't designed for non-linear damping, so I can't see this type of lowering spring to have optimal ride or handling. In fact, this is exactly the type of setup that causes the plague of bouncing civics back in the 2000s. The stiffer part of the spring accelerates wear in the OEM dampers, and it doesn't take long for the dampers to become worn and unable to effectively dampen oscillations.

Another downside to having lowering springs like this is that you need to cut the bump stops, which increases the risk of shock tower damage from bottoming out.

There's really no good cheap solution to lowering the car, high quality matched dampers and bump stops are required for optimal ride and handling. Any progressive lowering spring matched with OEM dampers will have compromises. Personally I would never use them, but I know a lot of people accept all kinds of compromises to make the car look cooler in their eyes.

Btw, I truly don’t want to seem like a suspension snob. Yes, I noticed a 15% increase in lateral gs by installing full Coilovers (aftermarket dampers) over lowering springs (53mph before losing traction to 58mph before losing traction on the same sweeper). Yes, it went from 3-4 bounces after big highway undulations, to just one.

However, odds are pretty good you’ll install the coils and overall weigh the improved aesthetics more than the slightly worse ride quality and be somewhere between content and happy.

i installed mild linear springs and front and back swag bars from unplugged performance on 21M3P. and yes the handling has improved dramatically, especially for cornering But overall the chassis has became too stiff for daily driving if you have bad uneven roads like NYC. The bouncing situation is very apparent. i suspect full coilovers is the only options, if you want the best of both world. Both handling and ride quality.

i installed mild linear springs and front and back swag bars from unplugged performance on 21M3P. and yes the handling has improved dramatically, especially for cornering But overall the chassis has became too stiff for daily driving if you have bad uneven roads like NYC. The bouncing situation is very apparent. i suspect full coilovers is the only options, if you want the best of both world. Both handling and ride quality.
I don't think bouncing is good handling. The firmer springs might feel sporty but if the dampers can't keep the car from bouncing with them that's not good for grip or control.