Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It did, but I had (have until Sunday...) a full exhaust and some other minor mods that made it pull 570 to the rear wheels... it’s a beast of a car and with every nanny disengaged (Cadillac had their own track mode) it can get break loose very easy coming out of a turn if you just let loose. My point was that’s not as much of an issue with the M3P.

As far as worrying about gas on a 70k car, yes and no. If ur truly wealthy (which is MUCH different than rich) then you probably won’t even look at a 70k car. My CTS-V stickered out at 81k in 2009; could I go and slap that down on a car now? Sure. But why becomes the question. We’re sorta off topic and treading into finances which is very personal to some, but my basic argument is why blow money (whether you have it or not) that you really don’t need to blow?

At this point I’d rather work towards a second home than blow 100k on a first or second car. Cars are terrible investments. I set my sights on an awesome daily driver that’s under 70k for a variety of reasons. Choice, not necessity. I’d simply rather have the remaining 20-30k for something else at this point and I’m paying cash anyhow. It’s an unfortunate reality that most in our country frequently buy/finance things they either can’t afford or barely can afford. I just don’t see the need to spend 100k when I can get what I need and want for 60...

Last edited:
Aloha. Wondering why there have been so few Cali VINs this weekend and so far today? The tracker also shows a real drop, when compared to December 2020 timeframe there was still high volume of VINs after the out of state shipments were done. Also, when I drove by the Corte Madera delivery center, there was an entire parking lot full of brand new 3s. How can there be that many inventory vehicles in that lot when we are all waiting for VINs? Mahalo to all for your perspective.

You suck Eddie.. your post caused me to purchase that lip. I have the same config coming this Sunday.
Awesome. The lip is very easy to install. The rear valance was cumbersome but easy also. I did both by myself. With an extra set of hands it would have been super easy.

A few more mods coming this week. Tomorrow I get my MPP Sports and Spacers installed and Tues tint. I should be done......

Reactions: UnderCharged
And something I wrote on another site:

• M3 has noise insulation material is removed to save weight. The Tesla 3 is actually quieter on the inside. It's louder inside than my previous 340i.
  • Handling on the Tesla is in-between my previous 340i and my current M3. Steering is more numb in all settings, feels "digital" if that makes sense. The BMW M3 chassis is just superb, you can feel everything that's going on with the car and what wheel is losing grip. I'll really miss that.
  • Brakes are way worse on the Tesla 3 Performance. Like I felt they were broken. That's one thing I'll miss on the M3. Saved me from an accident today actually when someone cut me off.
  • Speakers are better than anything BMW offers.
  • Seats are comfortable enough on the Model 3 but don't hug you like the M3.
  • Acceleration and torque is no comparison. Makes my M3 feel like a slug.
  • I'll miss the HUD, especially for infotainment functions, but you get used to the speed display on the center console.
I might pick up a new G82 M4 as a fun 2nd car. We'll see.
F82 M4 owner here and I pretty much agree with all you said minus a few negligible things.

I think the Harmon Kardon sound system in the M4 is better than the M3P, the surround sound feature and ability to use the eq make it feel much deeper.

Additionally the acceleration from 80-illegal is definitely a toss up between the two. However the suspension on the M4 is just on rails, and coming from the carbon ceramics on the F82 the M3P (as expected) is no contest. Very much a different driving experience, and the things that make the M4 such an animal in the twisties also make it painful as a daily driver. M3P seems like a really good compromise.

Reactions: m3ira
It did, but I had (have until Sunday...) a full exhaust and some other minor mods that made it pull 570 to the rear wheels... it’s a beast of a car and with every nanny disengaged (Cadillac had their own track mode) it can get break loose very easy coming out of a turn if you just let loose. My point was that’s not as much of an issue with the M3P.

As far as worrying about gas on a 70k car, yes and no. If ur truly wealthy (which is MUCH different than rich) then you probably won’t even look at a 70k car. My CTS-V stickered out at 81k in 2009; could I go and slap that down on a car now? Sure. But why becomes the question. We’re sorta off topic and treading into finances which is very personal to some, but my basic argument is why blow money (whether you have it or not) that you really don’t need to blow?

At this point I’d rather work towards a second home than blow 100k on a first or second car. Cars are terrible investments. I set my sights on an awesome daily driver that’s under 70k for a variety of reasons. Choice, not necessity. I’d simply rather have the remaining 20-30k for something else at this point and I’m paying cash anyhow. It’s an unfortunate reality that most in our country frequently buy/finance things they either can’t afford or barely can afford. I just don’t see the need to spend 100k when I can get what I need and want for 60...

I get what you mean. Cars aren't an investment. However the M3 and M3P are easily afforable to me. Which is why I have them.

Awesome. The lip is very easy to install. The rear valance was cumbersome but easy also. I did both by myself. With an extra set of hands it would have been super easy.

A few more mods coming this week. Tomorrow I get my MPP Sports and Spacers installed and Tues tint. I should be done......
Nice, I've been scoping out mpp suspension components myself. It's a slippery slope and I'm trying to stay grounded but man is it hard.

On the lip install, did you remove the bumper to line it up better. I saw they don't provide instructions

Nice, I've been scoping out mpp suspension components myself. It's a slippery slope and I'm trying to stay grounded but man is it hard.

On the lip install, did you remove the bumper to line it up better. I saw they don't provide instructions
I have been waiting for my car for 7 months. During that time I have accumulated all the parts for my build. I just happen to have some time off of work when I took delivery. Pretty much all I been doing this week is modding.

Instructions came with the kit. Also hardware and tape. No need to pull the bumper.

- Removed all the push pins holding the under tray to the bumper.
- Remove 3 push pins in both wheel wells that hold the liner.
- Behind the liner there is a 10mm nut holding the corner of the under tray to the bumper on the driver and passenger side. Unscrew it. You will need a small ratchet to get it loss. Once lose I just unscrewed by hand.

Once you do all that you can pull the under tray down from the bumper and add the clips in the kit.

Everything else is mentioned in the instructions.

Took me an hour because I had to figure out those 3 steps that are not mentioned in the instructions.

I have been waiting for my car for 7 months. During that time I have accumulated all the parts for my build. I just happen to have some time off of work when I took delivery. Pretty much all I been doing this week is modding.

Instructions came with the kit. Also hardware and tape. No need to pull the bumper.

- Removed all the push pins holding the under tray to the bumper.
- Remove 3 push pins in both wheel wells that hold the liner.
- Behind the liner there is a 10mm nut holding the corner of the under tray to the bumper on the driver and passenger side. Unscrew it. You will need a small ratchet to get it loss. Once lose I just unscrewed by hand.

Once you do all that you can pull the under tray down from the bumper and add the clips in the kit.

Everything else is mentioned in the instructions.

Took me an hour because I had to figure out those 3 steps that are not mentioned in the instructions.
Hi Eddie
I am wondering about how much the front lip lowered the front clearance overall. I have a very steep driveway and the transition when the car's front wheels are in the gutter before ascending the driveway leaves about an inch or two of ground clearance. I too have white M3 and think the look of the black lip spoiler would look great. But I am worried about the clearance. I guess another factor is how much does it stick forward? That too could cause my car to scrape.

Hi Eddie
I am wondering about how much the front lip lowered the front clearance overall. I have a very steep driveway and the transition when the car's front wheels are in the gutter before ascending the driveway leaves about an inch or two of ground clearance. I too have white M3 and think the look of the black lip spoiler would look great. But I am worried about the clearance. I guess another factor is how much does it stick forward? That too could cause my car to scrape.
Not much if any. It sits higher than the bumper. It does stick about a 1/2 further than the nose of the car.
86FDBE87-6DA5-4399-A7A0-0CBD68C4770A.jpeg

9B520C29-9B06-4D38-944C-F3F83265F0D6.jpeg
FF0C13FD-AF01-479E-B565-9FDC584B4A33.jpeg

I had a 2006 Mustang that I heavily modded. Every new mod turned into some kind of headache. The car is engineered a certain way, and even if you don't notice at first, almost everything you do has unintended consequences.

Now I did enjoy the process tremendously, and if I had to do it over again I probably would, but after that my modding days are over. If it's not "stick on" at this point I'm not doing it, especially not on a Tesla.

If you can fight the urge, I'd highly recommend doing so. In the long run it adds no value to the car (and can even detract) and there will be some long term unintended consequences to deal with. But boy, it sure is fun!

Tim

I had a 2006 Mustang that I heavily modded. Every new mod turned into some kind of headache. The car is engineered a certain way, and even if you don't notice at first, almost everything you do has unintended consequences.

Now I did enjoy the process tremendously, and if I had to do it over again I probably would, but after that my modding days are over. If it's not "stick on" at this point I'm not doing it, especially not on a Tesla.

If you can fight the urge, I'd highly recommend doing so. In the long run it adds no value to the car (and can even detract) and there will be some long term unintended consequences to deal with. But boy, it sure is fun!

Tim

Thanks for sharing - good points. The impact of mods on resale and reliability is seldom discussed on car forums - guys mostly praise and encourage the most aggressive mods. I'm currently selling my 2015 m235i bmw and the fact that is all stock and low mileage and no accidents is helping me a lot (that's actually rare on this model). There is a similar car for sale near me that is heavily modified and it is sitting there with little interest.

I pickup my M3P tomorrow and I don't plan on any mods. I won't even rush to add tint after reading some impressive numbers on the UV protection of Tesla glass. But I'm also an older guy and never got into the modern culture of car mods fed by online forums. I consider a M3P to be an expensive car and you don't mess with an investment like that. One of the things that attracted me to the M3 is the clean and smooth lines of the front and back end. I'm not a big fan of the "aggressive" look of most cars these days with all these sharp angles in front and back.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Snade

Reactions: TBrownTX

Delivery Rescheduled due to manufacturing issues. Should I be worried ?​

renderTimingPixel.png

My delivery was scheduled for 21st March ‘2021. I received a call from my sales rep o a day before telling me that I have an issue with my paint coat and the car needs to go to the workshop.
I am worried that the paint job would not be up to standards and I might get my car back with quality issues. I am having mixed feelings. Has anyone experienced same thing with their Tesla? Should I be worried?

For a sub 60k car, it’s in a class of its own. In every possible category. And as a daily driver? I don’t see what you can possibly say beats and M3P at this moment in history.

That’s why I bought one 😃

You are making me feel good about my decision. The M3P will be my daily driver here in Florida. I'm selling a bmw that is amazing in the corners and has great feel. But the roads in Florida are flat and straight. I don't track my car. So I seldom felt I used the full potential of the bmw. Most of my driving is short rides in Palm Beach County. For long road trips, we use my wife's A4.

Just running around this area, I do see many exotic / performance cars. About two miles away from me is a large gated community where resides Michael Jordan, a lot of professional golfers and hedge fund managers. I will need to be careful. Because when one of their Lamborghini or Ferrari or M4 pulls up next to me, I'll be tempted to race them in my little M3P. :)

Cheers,

Snade

Funny you mention that, this is the first car I have owned that did not get tinted within the first day or two of ownership. Not sure I will at all.

Tim
Wish Tesla had a “M” division. M3P is stupid fast but the suspension is not up to par. Also, other than the tire/wheels there is not much of a differention from the LR. If there was a M3P+ I would have been all over it. There is certainly a market for it.

Unfortunately, I don’t see this happening until all their factories or up and running and Fremont is upgraded. They have too much trouble getting customers their cars on time and is good shape.

Wish Tesla had a “M” division. M3P is stupid fast but the suspension is not up to par. Also, other than the tire/wheels there is not much of a differention from the LR. If there was a M3P+ I would have been all over it. There is certainly a market for it.

Unfortunately, I don’t see this happening until all their factories or up and running and Fremont is upgraded. They have too much trouble getting customers their cars on time and is good shape.
Agreed... Performance is an obvious money grab and lack of differentiation to justify the added cost over LR feels lazy.... That said, here I am waiting to pick mine up on Sunday 🙃 .. Air suspension, cooled seats, bucket seats (current seats are very comfortable but feel the performance should have a version with more bolstering), ambient lighting, better paint, and an actual sunroof that opens would have made this car perfect to me....

Last edited: