Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3P arrived….in the pouring rain but I looked it over moments after it came off the truck.

Can’t tell how the actual paint looks but the fit of panels is not good.

Here are the pics of what I see so far:

1. Where the front bumper meets the front fender between the passenger headlight and hood, the bumper is an 1/8” higher than the fender. The drivers side is perfect.

2. There is an excessive gap on the passenger side front window glass and the B piller by the side camera. Drivers side is much better.

3. Lower section of drivers front door sticks way out past where it should meet flush with the back door. Passenger side is perfect.

4. Front edge of hood sits much higher than the bumper, to the point of dangerously higher.

5. Excessively large gap between passenger rear door and rear quarter panel. Drivers side is perfect.

6. Drivers side rear door handle sunken in lower than body, the other three door handles are flush.

I could not inspect the front and rear bumpers due to the plastic on them and I was unable to see the overall paint condition but based on what I’ve already seen, I’m passing on this one. 😔
Oof...
Yeah that car is a mess. I'd pass on it too.
Sorry to hear about your experience... it DEFINITELY seems like white cars get less attention to detail in production, doesn't it.

I just noticed the gap on rear roof also a few days after delivery. I can see down onto trunk lid strut. I made a service appointment and they called back to say it was part of the design and that all Model 3s had that seal gap to allow the trunk lift to work properly and that I should not be concerned about water getting in.

Still no VIN or delivery date in sight, xdddddd.

Ordered April 17th
Blue Exterior + White Interior
Burbank Delivery Center
Not a single "reaching out" or response from my SA (what an ass).

This is becoming quite vexing and my horrible experience with my SA is beginning to leave a very sour taste in my mouth.

Reactions: play150
Picked mine up on 6/24 .... no major issues with gaps, paint or interior .... my drivers side headlight and taillight were a little misaligned so service date set to correct (lay person wouldn't even notice) ... overall experience of delivery was really great and had two SAs shadow me as I inspected to answer any questions about driving, setup, etc.

Attachments

• image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 109
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 87
Oof...
Yeah that car is a mess. I'd pass on it too.
Sorry to hear about your experience... it DEFINITELY seems like white cars get less attention to detail in production, doesn't it.
Thanks so much for understanding SpaceCash. There are some here at TMC that think I'm being picky, and truth be told......I am. I expect the fit & finish of a brand new upscale vehicle to be put together far better than this. The pictures I took in the rain and poor lighting don't do justice to truly how bad the panel alignments were, it looked as if it was totaled and a crappy body shop rebuilt the car. Shame on Tesla management, engineers, shift supervisors, and if there is such a thing as a quality control team in Fremont FIRE THEM!!!!

Thanks so much for understanding SpaceCash. There are some here at TMC that think I'm being picky, and truth be told......I am. I expect the fit & finish of a brand new upscale vehicle to be put together far better than this. The pictures I took in the rain and poor lighting don't do justice to truly how bad the panel alignments were, it looked as if it was totaled and a crappy body shop rebuilt the car. Shame on Tesla management, engineers, shift supervisors, and if there is such a thing as a quality control team in Fremont FIRE THEM!!!!
Think you need to go buy a Rolls Royce. Fire people really...

I think everyone has different expectations for their cars (and products in general), and it's totally fine for them to be different. I think you have to be realistic with your expectations for a Tesla. It's simply not as well put together as a Porsche, Audi, etc. It is what it is. I don't mean any offense by this, but if you need to have your panel gaps consistent and your build quality top notch, I think you'd save yourself a lot of frustration by moving on from Tesla. To get that higher tier of fit and finish, there are options. Taycan, e-Tron, e-Tron GT, probably a Polestar 2. None of them will be as fast of course (unless you go e-Tron RS GT, Taycan Turbo which are more than twice as expensive), and they will all be more expensive even in base spec, but they will be very well constructed. One of my coworkers had a recently purchased e-Tron that I had a chance to check out, and it was very nice. Driving experience will differ amongst them all, but there are options. I would say Mustang Mach-E GT, but let's be honest, Ford's build quality is garbage.