Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 premature front wheel bearing failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

exlatccatsa

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2020
Kemnay
Is this a feature of the Model 3? I had a nearside bearing replaced 4 months ago at 14k miles. Today a friend of mine has had his offside front replaced, as well as the creaky upper arm, at 25k miles. I would have expected original bearings to last at least into the 50k miles. Anyone else been bothered with this premature failure?

What delivery date. iirc some reports of suspension/running gear components of vehicles delivered Q4 2019 being incorrectly torqued.

Looks like it may have been ball joints not wheel bearings

Looks like it may have been ball joints not wheel bearings

These were definately grumbling bearings. Diagnosed by turning left and right. In one direction, unloading the bearing, almost silence and then the rumbling returns under load in the other direction.

No not CV joints. Definately bearings, replaced under warranty, thank goodness. I was just surprised at the early mileage of the failures.

Wheel bearings always used to be cheap and easy to replace ... let's hope that applies to the Model 3 too. Torque issues on assembly may well be the cause rather than an inherent weakness or quality problem. We should know how to make long lasting wheel bearings by now.

Wheel bearings always used to be cheap and easy to replace ... let's hope that applies to the Model 3 too. Torque issues on assembly may well be the cause rather than an inherent weakness or quality problem. We should know how to make long lasting wheel bearings by now.
My friend had both upper arm and bearings replaced in a couple of hours. He had mentioned both when he booked the service appointment so presumably they had the parts in stock.

I've just had the OSF wheel bearing replaced yesterday at 18k as it was grumbling. That's both fronts in 18k miles, it must've been a faulty batch.
Very quick though it only took them an hour. It makes me wonder if it was the entire hub that was changed?

It makes me wonder if it was the entire hub that was changed?
Yes, it's only available as a complete hub assembly.

1639126011622.png

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Sorry for reviving an old thread folks but I thought I would add to the above.

I have a 21 plate TM3SR+ that was delivered in June 2021. Build time was around Jan 2021. I have had both bearings replaced today after 13,000 Miles.

Tesla have been great, but the idea of needing them replacing after 13k miles, is quite dissapointing.

Reactions: exlatccatsa