Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Pros and Cons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3. The windshield wipers are not very good at gauging the rain conditions, and changing them on-screen is a hazard when taking a curve at 70

Not sure if anyone else addressed this, but you can depress the end of the wiper stalk and it will do a few wipes automatically. That action also brings up the wiper menu.

Personally I just hit the end of the stalk to activate the wipers when needed, I never adjust it in the menu.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nova8
yeah, don’t feel good about that one. That is a myth brought on by the PETA crowd. Vegan leather has not cut down on the number of cattle. It is more polluting to make the (plastic) vegan leather then use the real leather from already dead cows. Many ranchers now give away or throw away hides with the steaks headed to you local market. And even for those that do sell hide, Ranchers make more on the steric acid used to make tires and rubber hoses/gaskets/seals then on leather. Another fun fact, you can’t buy a vegan bike tire in the USA.

I think it goes something like this:

Oil = bad!
Oil-derived products = bad!
Vegan = good!
Vegan leather a.k.a. oil-derived synthetic fabric = good!

If you rename gasoline "Vegan fuel", these folks might warm up to it again.

Not sure if anyone else addressed this, but you can depress the end of the wiper stalk and it will do a few wipes automatically. That action also brings up the wiper menu.

Personally I just hit the end of the stalk to activate the wipers when needed, I never adjust it in the menu.

Voice commands now work for wiper speed (and on and off). "Turn wipers on" / "Set wiper speed to 3" "Set wiper speed to 2", etc. All works with voice command, so no need to "Touch the touch screen while driving at 70".

TBH though, the wiper operation on auto is one negative I have with the car. It was horrid when I got the car in 2018, is "better" now, but the auto setting still isnt great, and the entire problem comes from tesla thinking they can have a neural net analyze water droplets rather than put in a sensor like every other car.

On my BMW(s) that I have had (and my wifes current one) "auto" works so good I could count the times I used something other than auto on 1 hand during a 3 year lease period. On my model 3, i am fiddling with it fairly often, but at least I can fiddle with it using voice commands (as well as an extra swipe pressing the end of the stalk).

• Helpful
Reactions: Nova8 and dmurphy
Voice commands now work for wiper speed (and on and off). "Turn wipers on" / "Set wiper speed to 3" "Set wiper speed to 2", etc. All works with voice command, so no need to "Touch the touch screen while driving at 70".

TBH though, the wiper operation on auto is one negative I have with the car. It was horrid when I got the car in 2018, is "better" now, but the auto setting still isnt great, and the entire problem comes from tesla thinking they can have a neural net analyze water droplets rather than put in a sensor like every other car.

On my BMW(s) that I have had (and my wifes current one) "auto" works so good I could count the times I used something other than auto on 1 hand during a 3 year lease period. On my model 3, i am fiddling with it fairly often, but at least I can fiddle with it using voice commands (as well as an extra swipe pressing the end of the stalk).

As per usual, change "BMW" to "Cadillac" and you've got my post. Wholly agreed on all counts! Probably the worst part of the entire user experience in Model 3.

(Glad our X has a "real" wiper stalk ...)

I've owned my Model 3 Standard Plus for a year now, and here are some of the issues I wish they would fix. I am not a tech geek, and have not searched high and low to see if there is a way we drivers can alter some of these ourselves. I don't do twitter, and don't know if Tesla engineers actually read these posts, but it's worth a try.

Cons; please fix:
1. The car needs to drive right-of-center in the lane when in autopilot (in the US, not England). Right now, the car does its Tesla Sway near the center of the lane, but it is way too close to the road median line for comfort. When oncoming traffic with texting drivers or icy roads is coming at me at 70mph (or 1mph), I want as big a cushion for reaction time and distance as possible. Please direct the car to hug off-center right rather than off-center left or centered.
2. When someone turns into traffic in front of me or across my lane, or there is a curve in the road, the car does an unreasonably fast break as if there will be an accident. I have set the follow-distance at a low number of car lengths, but this still happens with cars and curves more than 5 car lengths away.
3. When traffic goes from one lane to 2 lanes wide, or there is a sudden left turn lane, the car gets confused sometimes. I have had some scary moments with the car making drastic corrections while in autopilot. Please make the car hug the fogline and stay in the right-hand lane when there are any alterations in lane numbers or widths.
4. It wold be great to have different playback speeds for reviewing sentry reports. Reviewing initially at double time would be helpful.
5. The seat needs better lumbar support. It causes too much of a scoop in the back for me, even though the lumbar cushion is at full-expansion.
6. It would be great to have a window-tint option.
7. The A/C vent needs to blow way more forcefully next to the driver window. My left arm is burning in summer and freezing in winter.
8. Door locks often do not open fast enough. This is a serious safety hazard when walking alone to your car at night when you are potentially being followed by a criminal. I have stood by the car pushing the door handle about 20 times and it does not unlock unless I open the Tesla app on my phone at tell it to unlock. The car is supposed to recognize my phone as I approach and open immediately when I push the handle.
9. No door locks. When I open my drivers side door, that automatically unlocks the passenger door. This is a huge safety hazard if I am followed to my car by someone with criminal intent. The passenger door should not unlock unless the driver pushes a button inside the car. Once I am in the car, do the doors lock instantly? again, this is a safety hazard if they do not lock instantly once inside.
10. The steering wheel vibrates quite a lot with road conditions.
11. People need to be aware the seats are really low on this car. I found as i'm exiting that if I put my right knee to the floor, I can push off the center counsel base with my right foot to help exit.
12. The energy consumption was a shock after purchase. I only get about 1.5 miles per 1% charge when driving 60-70mph in spring and autumn when air/heat use are off. I get 1 mile per 1% in summer and winter....sometimes less with high heat use in winter. This is with the Standard Plus that should get over 230 miles per full charge. I cant even go 100 miles without charging in summer or winter. A tip to others: I bought some thin gloves with grips and touchscreen ability (Burton Saphire, $35) that work great in winter. They keep my hands warm so I can drop the cabin heat and save energy, but they are thin for dexterity, have grips that allow good steering wheel control, and have touchscreen fingertip necessary for changing the screen settings.
13. The windshield wipers are not very good at gauging the rain conditions, and changing them on-screen is a hazard when taking a curve at 70 in the rain on the expressway and a semi truck throws spray at your windshield. I've gotten in the habit of turning them on high pace when a semi is anywhere near me in rain or snow. Lots of time spent changing this control.
14. While the steering wheel looks cool being shaped like a T....it is not comfortable to not have a hole for my hand at the bottom center. Maybe there can be a pop-off panel option if people want the hole.
15. Garbage can tip: I buy the small cube kleenex boxes for my bathroom. Once they are empty, I put a tiny bag inside (dog poop bag) and this fits perfectly inside the front counsel cubby as my garbage can. When full, I throw the whole thing out since I have a constant supply of empty kleenex boxes.

Pros:
1. I love that it is 100% electric and far better for the environment than an ICE car.
2. I love how quiet it is with no exhaust stench.
3. I love never going to gas stations and getting oil changes. Most stops at superchargers are an easy time to check emails, take a nap, or get some food. 99% of my charging is done at home.
4. I love the minimalist design inside, and I really like the appearance outside.
2. I love the vegan fabric. Cattle cause more and worse greenhouse gases and global destruction than fossil fuels.
3. It is really fast, even though this wasn't a priority for me. I admit to leaving the occasional ICE car/truck full of confederate flag wavers who think coal and oil are their god-given rights to burn in the dust
4. I love the gadgetry and software updates, even though I probably don't use or know about many of them for lack of time to investigate. Lots of ways to micro-adjust things for each individual, and to save settings, which is wonderful.
5. I really like the assisted autopilot, but am sure I will love the full autopilot when I can afford it.

Overall, it's the best car i've owned.

You should really never push your counsel. They might charge extra.

The cattle industry is worse and has nothing to do with PETA. Read the peer-reviewed scientific research papers and statistics rather than documents put out by the cattle industry and their reps. Yes, plastic is terrible, but the lesser of 2 evils.
The cattle industry has not been effected at all due to a lower demand for leather. Meat drives the cattle industry. Synthetic leather has done nothing to reduce the environmental effects of the cattle industry. If anything the ranchers I know have more heads of cattle then they did 10 and 20 years ago.

what I’m saying is it is better to use the hide of cows that would die anyway then make a synthetic product.

The cattle industry has not been effected at all due to a lower demand for leather. Meat drives the cattle industry. Synthetic leather has done nothing to reduce the environmental effects of the cattle industry. If anything the ranchers I know have more heads of cattle then they did 10 and 20 years ago.

what I’m saying is it is better to use the hide of cows that would die anyway then make a synthetic product.

Agreed. I'd at least like the option of real leather vs. vegan 'leather' (plastic).

Reactions: iamnid
Agreed. I'd at least like the option of real leather vs. vegan 'leather' (plastic).
The "vegan leather" can also cause contact dermatitis for some people (me being one of them).
I have to wear thick pieces of clothing to prevent blisters and open sores to form when I'm in direct contact with it, like when I'm wearing a t-shirt (fabric is too thin so I get it over my back).
I use a real leather seat cover to circumvent it, but the whole "saving animals at the cost of ourselves" is dumb AF

I'm in an area that rains half the year, so I'm sensitive to wiper function, and the wipers have been great. I hear complaints, but it always worked well for me.

But one of the last few updates has changed its functionality, and I found myself having to enable it manually for the first time in 2 years of ownership.

Fortunately, Tesla can always fix the logic if they spend the time on it.

The "vegan leather" can also cause contact dermatitis for some people (me being one of them).
I have to wear thick pieces of clothing to prevent blisters and open sores to form when I'm in direct contact with it, like when I'm wearing a t-shirt (fabric is too thin so I get it over my back).
I use a real leather seat cover to circumvent it, but the whole "saving animals at the cost of ourselves" is dumb AF

ultraleather isn't even cheaper than real leather. but what it does have is better abrasion resistance compared to leather. It's much more durable for that.

While it wasn't picked for cost savings, ultraleather is 1/3rd the weight of real leather. And that might be why Tesla pushes it.

• Informative
Reactions: Apone

Wow, I had not thought about an immune response to it. That would really freak me out and I would have looked into those t-sportline real leather replacements. Not expensive (imho) vs being in a car with that much material I'm allergic to.

Wow, I had not thought about an immune response to it. That would really freak me out and I would have looked into those t-sportline real leather replacements. Not expensive (imho) vs being in a car with that much material I'm allergic to.
According to Tesla I'm the only one who has reported this issue.
It was escalated until they sent me the specifications with compounds and treatment materials used.
Everything is rated safe, but of course people with pre-existing conditions have a lower tolerance, so that explains my situation.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Come on people, the OP wishes Tesla "would fix" issues, that they "have not searched high and low to see if there is a way we drivers can alter some of these". I mean, what's the point? Seriously? The OP hasn't even looked to see if there is an answer or if they're doing something wrong, but wants Tesla to fix it.

"here are some of the issues I wish they would fix. I am not a tech geek, and have not searched high and low to see if there is a way we drivers can alter some of these ourselves. I don't do twitter, and don't know if Tesla engineers actually read these posts, but it's worth a try."

Whoa. Never even considered that angle. The vegan leather makes the back of my knee sweat when I'm wearing shorts. I use a microfiber towel these days to deal with that. I don't think leather would have quite this effect.

Whoa. Never even considered that angle. The vegan leather makes the back of my knee sweat when I'm wearing shorts. I use a microfiber towel these days to deal with that. I don't think leather would have quite this effect.
That's just because the vegan leather doesn't breathe like real leather does. Nothing to worry about. It's actually better with the white interior, because it's softer and creases more than the black.
I've had 2 TM3 (so far), white is definitely nicer to the touch and from a comfort perspective.

Reactions: Spacep0d
That's just because the vegan leather doesn't breathe like real leather does. Nothing to worry about. It's actually better with the white interior, because it's softer and creases more than the black.
I've had 2 TM3 (so far), white is definitely nicer to the touch and from a comfort perspective.

It's not inherent to the material. Tesla isn't the only one using ultraleather. You can get seats from other automakers that have perforations, or seats that have ac vents in them. Tesla is making the seats in house and they're focused on efficiency and that can also mean simplicity in design.

I found the seats made my back sweat more than any other chair I've sat in. It's like wrapping a plastic bag around my back. Part of the cause is summer heat, but it's also the type of material in my shirts that make it worse.

It's not inherent to the material. Tesla isn't the only one using ultraleather. You can get seats from other automakers that have perforations, or seats that have ac vents in them. Tesla is making the seats in house and they're focused on efficiency and that can also mean simplicity in design.

I found the seats made my back sweat more than any other chair I've sat in. It's like wrapping a plastic bag around my back. Part of the cause is summer heat, but it's also the type of material in my shirts that make it worse.
Yeah, I meant "Tesla's vegan leather", not faux leather in general. Should have been more explicit :)

2. When someone turns into traffic in front of me or across my lane, or there is a curve in the road, the car does an unreasonably fast break as if there will be an accident. I have set the follow-distance at a low number of car lengths, but this still happens with cars and curves more than 5 car lengths away.
This is not just a Tesla problem. My 4Runner has Toyota SafetySense, which includes adaptive cruise control. It does not anticipate idiots well. For example, if I've got cruise set on the interstate and someone going slower than me pulls out in front of me, it will slam on the brakes like it's in a panic stop. Very irritating. Also, if you go into a curve and there's a median wall, or traffic in the outside lane, it will react as if it is an obstruction or stopped traffic. As a result, I am hyper-vigilant (not entirely a bad thing, admittedly) about anticipating the actions of other drivers so my vehicle doesn't freak the **** out.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin