Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on the fence about getting a new M3 LR.

With just standard EAP and no FSD, will the car be able to park itself in my garage BACKING IN? I assume it can do it pulling in forwards.

I am afraid I will really miss CarPlay. How do others feel about that? I primarily listen to podcasts, Prime Music and Spotify.

I will also miss 360 view and really wish that Elon would devote resources to this (and CarPlay/Android Auto) instead of stupid games and fireplace videos.

The closest Service Center is a 75 mile round trip (Orlando, FL). Considering the distance and service horror stories I have read hear and other places, am I making a mistake? And Elon announcing the firings of a lot of their service personnel really scares me along with YouTube videos of people waiting forever for parts and collision repairs. I also have the impression that very few people really care about customers - everything from failed repairs/repairs that caused other needed repairs and inability to even talk to someone on the phone. In 54 years of car ownership, I never experienced anything like that, but of course I was at private dealers and there was also the possibility of contacting a corporate district manager if needed.

Although the concept of "over the air updates" sounds really great, software that is labelled as Beta plus other stories I read of software bugs, gives me great concern since I expect things that worked in the last software release to work in the new software release.

With my luck, I am most afraid that if I buy one, something will happen and the Tesla experience would be ruined for me. Perhaps better to admire from afar? However, I am 70 years old and really can't wait much longer. But, as a retiree with limited funds, this is a major purchase and I can't afford for it to go wrong! Also, being a car guy and having given up my dream of owning a Ferrari (amongst others), Tesla ownership is huge on my "bucket list).

FWIW, my car now is a 2018 Kia PHEV. Other than one factory recall, it has been flawless but under powered and certainly not a Tesla.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
You can get a distorted view of things by reading forums and watching YouTube videos. I’ve had my Model 3 for more than a year and and it’s never needed service. Yes there can be a wait for parts after a collision— but >99% of cars are NOT in a collision each year so hopefully you’ll never experience that. All software has bugs, but that probably hasn’t stopped you from using a computer or a smartphone. It shouldn’t affect your buying a Tesla either. I wouldn’t buy anything else.

Ditto to TexasEV’s comments. The Model 3 is a joy to own and drive. The only problem I’ve had in15 months is a single led in one of the headlights wasn’t illuminating so they replaced the headlight for me.

Car forums attract complaining. It’s the nature of online forums. Most people who own a Model 3 are out there cruising along happily, not even aware that this forum exists.

Sorry, there is no Enhanced Autopilot any longer, all of the "enhanced" bits got moved into FSD.
You can probably blame the 1% of non-owners complaining on here for that one.
So Summon, lane change and auto park are in FSD.

Once you've got used to that gorgeous display you'll be glad you did hand it over to fisherprice CarPlay.

I'm relatively close to a service center, but in the last year of ownership all but one service has been from the mobile team.
The one visit that was at the service center could have been mobile if that existed at the time :)

Whatever the issue it will likely only be transient - my car is averaging 16 days between updates. I see some people on this forum complaining bitterly about some feature that doesn't quite work, but patience usually sees it being fixed and improved.

Can't really answer your last question other than by personal experience.
My car has had the following work done in the last 18k mile.
Both headlights replaced - the signature lights would die on the early units - mobile service.
One tail light replaced, had moisture inside it - mobile service
Loose repeater/camera replaced - mobile service
Annoying whistle fixed - mobile service
Tire rotation - mobile service
Tire replaced due to nail in sidewall - service center (before mobile service was available)
Only the last two cost me anything. Everything else has been software, but the car is very different now compared to the car I picked up last May.

[edit]
I forgot to say - Welcome to the forum :)

I'll admit, Car play is really nice and I had the same reservation before I bought my Model 3. Also I used to listen to SiriusXm as well.

I actually bought a Lexus with car play and returned it because I couldn't stop thinking about the Model 3. Now that I have it, I do not regret it for an instant. It is extremely fun to drive, has amazing looks, plenty of trunk space, OTA updates, awesome stereo and more.

Now that I have my Tesla, I keep my phone docked underneath the control screen and never take it out. If I need to switch stations on my phone I wait to be on a safe section of road, turn on my autopilot and make my adjustments. I can listen to siriusxm through the app but I've rarely done so. I will probably cancel it at some point.

Reactions: APotatoGod

With just standard EAP and no FSD

EAP hasn't been offered on new cars since around Feb/March

Now you get AP (stays in single lane, and TACC) only or FSD (everything else including future features).

I
, will the car be able to park itself in my garage BACKING IN? I assume it can do it pulling in forwards.

Right now autopark can do 2 things:

1) Parallel park between two existing cars.
2) Back into a perpendicular spot also only between 2 other parked cars

So it won't autopark in your garage at all unless you've got 2 other cars in there on either side.

It is expected a future update will offer superior capabilities on this point- but not today.

There's also summon- which currently lets you just move the car forward or backward in primarily a straight line- this can be useful if the thing you're really looking for is a car that you can back into a really narrow garage that's so narrow you can't open the door once inside... cars with FSD do this today.

I am afraid I will really miss CarPlay. How do others feel about that? I primarily listen to podcasts, Prime Music and Spotify.

You can still do all that- but will be controlling the later two from your phone when doing it (other than mute/volume/pause type controls)

Podcasts there's the built-in TuneIn App that seems to work fairly well.

I will also miss 360 view and really wish that Elon would devote resources to this

There's no resources that can fix the fact the car has no cameras in the bumpers pointing down.

(and CarPlay/Android Auto)

Tesla has been pretty clear they're uninterested in turning most/all of their interface over to a 3rd party system.

That said they could do a ton better job with phone integration natively

The closest Service Center is a 75 mile round trip (Orlando, FL).

Usually unless it requires a lift they can send a mobile ranger to you for anything you need.

Considering the distance and service horror stories I have read hear and other places, am I making a mistake? And Elon announcing the firings of a lot of their service personnel really scares me

Supposedly that's more front-office type service folks rather than the "guys who actually fix cars" folks- suggesting they're trying to move things like scheduling appointments on to users and the app rather than paying people to do that instead of fix cars.

That seems a fairly good idea to me, but it does mean a change for someone coming from, say, Lexus, where there's a lot of customer hand-holding for service.

along with YouTube videos of people waiting forever for parts and collision repairs.

This IS still something of an issue today if you're unlucky enough to get in a wreck... but appears to be improving pretty rapidly- see for example:

Tesla's spare parts supply is reportedly nearing parity with German automakers

I also have the impression that very few people really care about customers - everything from failed repairs/repairs that caused other needed repairs and inability to even talk to someone on the phone. In 54 years of car ownership, I never experienced anything like that, but of course I was at private dealers and there was also the possibility of contacting a corporate district manager if needed.

Tesla is simply terrible at communication (both externally and internally) and pretty poor with ownership of issues.

They're still learning how to be a company with a mass market of customers- that's absolutely a real and valid pain point with them.

On average you won't need to run into this much once you take delivery of the car- but if you do and you stay on top of them they'll usually eventually find someone who can help you- but it's unpleasant and frustrating until that happens.

Although the concept of "over the air updates" sounds really great, software that is labelled as Beta plus other stories I read of software bugs, gives me great concern since I expect things that worked in the last software release to work in the new software release.

This is why I don't have my update preferences set to advanced.

Other folks get to try the new releases weeks ahead of me, and if I hear there's a major bug, I just wait until a better update is out (you are not generally required to apply an update).

That said- the worst bug I've had is the one where it takes a few seconds for the rear view camera to "turn on" when you put it in reverse- annoying but hardly crippling.

With my luck, I am most afraid that if I buy one, something will happen and the Tesla experience would be ruined for me.

It remains the best car I've ever owned and driven- and that includes stuff from Lexus, Mercedes, Acura, Ford, GM, etc...including more than a few sport sedans and performance cars.

The company needs improvement but the car is excellent.

• Informative
Reactions: jerryrs
I am concerned about your post because of the overall tone of your message with the use of terms "stupid games" and "horror stories." My feeling is that the the posts from satisfied Tesla owners, and from drivers with outstanding Tesla experiences outnumber the negative. Not to say that the ownership experience is perfect - it is far from it. (Personally, my pick up appointment was cancelled twice, the wrong car was delivered with quality issues, and I've already had a drive unit replaced. All of these issues have been resolved by Tesla.) But I ordered the car knowing this was going to be an adventure, and felt prepared to deal with issues as they arose.

If you want a flawless delivery, white-glove customer service, and perfect performance then I think you should look elsewhere. Tesla is innovative, which means that while some things about the car will knock your socks off, but others might disappoint. What you call "stupid games" is what I call "thinking outside the box." It is the creative genius and the unconventional thinking that sets Elon Musk and Telsa far afield from the competition.

There is no other car company that can update a car without rolling out a new model year. My Model 3 has new and improved features with every software update. "Beta" just means that by using it, I'm helping to develop and refine the improvements. Tesla responds to tweets about features and changes suggested by owners, what other car company offers this kind of interface? I ordered the FSD option knowing that I might not experience a truly self-driving car, but know that I'm helping to fund the research that will make it possible someday.

So should you order a Model 3? Yes, but only if you are able to see the big picture, and that you know that the car is truly a work in progress and that ownership is an active role.

With just standard EAP and no FSD, will the car be able to park itself in my garage BACKING IN? I assume it can do it pulling in forwards.

I will also miss 360 view and really wish that Elon would devote resources to this (and CarPlay/Android Auto) instead of stupid games and fireplace videos.

The closest Service Center is a 75 mile round trip (Orlando, FL). Considering the distance and service horror stories I have read hear and other places, am I making a mistake? And Elon announcing the firings of a lot of their service personnel really scares me along with YouTube videos of people waiting forever for parts and collision repairs. I also have the impression that very few people really care about customers - everything from failed repairs/repairs that caused other needed repairs and inability to even talk to someone on the phone. In 54 years of car ownership, I never experienced anything like that, but of course I was at private dealers and there was also the possibility of contacting a corporate district manager if needed.

With my luck, I am most afraid that if I buy one, something will happen and the Tesla experience would be ruined for me. Perhaps better to admire from afar? However, I am 70 years old and really can't wait much longer. But, as a retiree with limited funds, this is a major purchase and I can't afford for it to go wrong! Also, being a car guy and having given up my dream of owning a Ferrari (amongst others), Tesla ownership is huge on my "bucket list).

FWIW, my car now is a 2018 Kia PHEV. Other than one factory recall, it has been flawless but under powered and certainly not a Tesla.

Add my name to long list of those owners loving their copy of the model 3. A few months shy of one year and the car’s been problem free. There are delays getting collision repairs, but those are attributable to a new car manufacturer and limited shops that are certified to work on the cars. With that one caveat you’ll have a great experience and won’t be missing out on any performance from that Ferrari you didn’t select. Go for it.

I've never had carplay. You're able to play podcasts, spotify, etc., from your phone through the car speakers via bluetooth. I do it. Maybe carplay is better, but this method is fine for me.

really wish that Elon would devote resources to this (and CarPlay/Android Auto) instead of stupid games and fireplace videos.

LOL, I'm with you there.

I bought my car in October 2018. It was available for deliver 2 weeks after I purchased. I'm pretty sure it was one of the vehicles from the 3rd quarter, end of quarter mad rush to produce as many cars as possible. Despite that, I've never needed to take my car to the service center. I have over 10,000 miles.

I haven't followed the production threads in awhile, but I really don't think build quality is a concern at this point. The productions lines are well established by now.

What "beta" software are you referring to, the autopilot and self driving suite? You seem like you keep up with Tesla ongoings. So you know that it is not fully autonomous, and therefore you must remain observant of the road, your car, and its surroundings. I didn't purchase it, but I used the 30-day free trial. And it's cool software. It takes a few days to get used to it but it can be quite useful and it's definitely a great "assist" feature. And in most situations, it's a significantly better driver than the average human, without question, from my personal experience.

Just buy it. You'll regret it if you don't.

YOLO

Reactions: APotatoGod

I doubt if I'll have any new solid information to add, but I'll toss in my $0.02....

I've never used CarPlay, but I did use Android Auto in my previous car (a Chevy Volt). For podcasts, you can use whatever podcast app you like on your phone -- it doesn't even need to be compatible with CarPlay. Bluetooth streaming works quite well for me, and for most others. (There are known Bluetooth glitches, but mostly they affect a small minority of phones.) For me and the podcast app I use (Podcast Addict), the left steering-wheel button/scroller can skip forward and backward in a podcast, and the center console displays the title of the podcast, but no artwork. Apparently some players display album art with music, but I've seen some claims that the Tesla looks that up and downloads it rather than get it from the phone. I don't know if that's true, though.

If you get an LR version, it includes some streaming facilities of its own. IIRC, it uses Slacker, not Spotify. Mostly I listen to podcasts or my own music collection, either on a USB drive or via my phone, so I can't say much about the Model 3's built-in streaming.

Other CarPlay/Android Auto features won't work, of course. One thing I miss is that Google Maps and Waze both offer route options, which Tesla's navigation does not. Thus, if I want to avoid certain streets or otherwise pick a particular route, I have to know enough to do that and hope the navigation system re-routes in a sensible way. I don't really care much about Waze's traffic alerts and whatnot, but some people think those are the best thing since sliced bread. If you're one of them, you might miss those features.

In theory, a 360-degree view feature could be added to a future software update -- at least, if the existing cameras provide enough coverage. I have no idea if this is on Tesla's to-do list, and if it is, how long it might be before it might appear.

The closest Service Center is a 75 mile round trip (Orlando, FL). Considering the distance and service horror stories I have read hear and other places, am I making a mistake?

Most routine service, and even many repairs, can be done at your home or workplace by Tesla "rangers" -- basically house calls for cars. I don't know what percentage "most" is, though. (I've had my Model 3 for just under 3 months, so I don't yet have any experience with this.) My understanding is that "ranger" visits get high marks from customers, whereas service centers suffer by comparison in customer satisfaction. If you get a "lemon" that needs constant fixes (every car maker delivers the occasional lemon), the 75-mile trip to a service center would likely be a problem, but chances are it won't be that big of a deal.

One thing you can do to minimize the risk is to not install updates the moment you're told they're available. Instead, check in here to see what others are reporting about a new software version. If you see reports of new bugs, give that version a miss. One caveat: I seem to recall hearing that the car will eventually delete the update, so if you wait too long, you might not be able to install it. I don't know how long the car will wait before it deletes the update, though. You might want to ask about this, if nobody chimes in here with the information.

Also, in my admittedly still limited experience, Tesla seems to release minor bug-fix versions fairly frequently, so even if you install something that turns out to be buggy, you may need to live with it only for a short period. That's not a promise, though.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the depreciation hit on a 1-year-old car than anything else you've mentioned; but of course it's your money, not mine....

Reactions: alexGS
In theory, a 360-degree view feature could be added to a future software update -- at least, if the existing cameras provide enough coverage.

They don't.

The cameras don't point down with fisheye lenses like the bumper-mounted cameras those who offer 360 views have. This is especially true in the front where the cameras are mounted at the top of the windshield pointed out rather than in the front bumper/grill area pointed down.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Most of my music is streaming from SoundCloud so while I wish the 3 had CarPlay I don't miss it..

One thing to learn from the forums is firmware updates, bugs and specs/features. Recently seems to be a bunch of tiny point releases with known bugs - don't be the first one to get a new update and you'll likely enjoy the car better :)

Only 12k+ miles, only repair/service cost was a new tire when a nail rudely punctured the sidewall.. drives great, do the 7 day test drive :)

I too struggled before taking the plunge and purchasing a “demo” return LRAWD with 700 miles on March 30th. Got a very good deal. The car had some curb damage on one wheel that was eventually fixed...mobile ranger swapped with a loaner wheel, repaired the curbed rim, and came back swapped back. I liked both of the mobile rangers - good guys. While there are certainly some challenges, I would consider my experience with Tesla a bit slow but competent. Certainly better than the fast and incompetent service on my soon to be returned Genesis lease. I only have 3,000 miles so far - but love the car.

My wife and I find CarPlay very useful in our other cars. We actually held back on buying a Tesla because of lack of CarPlay. However, we couldn't find another EV with long range and fast charging network. So something had to give.

If you place your phone in the charge tray of the Model 3, you can do "Hey Siri" whose audio then pipes through the car's speakers via bluetooth. This alleviates some of the pain of not having CarPlay because you can do almost everything on the phone using Siri and have it send the audio to Tesla speakers.

However, you can't get the visual CarPlay interface on Tesla screen. It is the compromise you have to live with because Tesla seems to have no interest in CarPlay. There have been many requests to Tesla, including a change.org petition, for including CarPlay. It isn't happening.

The other major shortcoming is if you are a prolific "text while you drive" person using CarPlay voice commands. Via bluetooth, you can't have the same seamless incoming/outgoing text interface as you may be used to via CarPlay.

I will also miss 360 view

Yes, we do too. I find my other cars' birdseye 360º view is a very useful feature for parking. Unfortunately not available for Tesla. It would have been so useful, especially with the restricted natural view due to the Model 3 being a sedan. Tesla hasn't indicated that they are implementing a 360º view.

The closest Service Center is a 75 mile round trip (Orlando, FL). Considering the distance and service horror stories I have read hear and other places, am I making a mistake?
The car is great. The less you have to interact with Tesla, the company, the better your experience will be. However, I don't know that the distance from the service center necessarily makes the experience worse. Customer facing Tesla is not a well organized group and everything related to service can be slow and confusing. It is a risk you have to take, again weighing whether a long range, fast charging vehicle trumps this risk. I have been ok so far and many thousands of people seem to be ok, but there are certainly many horror stories.

For the most part, the updates are harmless. Their beta stuff (AP, FSD) aren't quite polished. But that's just gravy. You can do fine without AP and FSD temporarily even if there are bugs. The rest of the basic car software is solid. I wouldn't worry about it.

I think you will be alright. Go for it :)