Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 range in rain.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bases lines are relevant to the common journeys that a person undertakes

if someone thinks they can just charge up every other week, but find that in winter they are needing to do that far more frequently

Agree with that and your point about more frequent charging. But if the conversation is "max range" then that base line should be taken from long journeys, not short ones. I think it is very specifically an EV discussion point and New EV drivers often start from the ICE perspective.

Its not just about range, its about running costs and convenience

yes, I did make mention of that, as you quoted:

all-journey-mix is relevant to total fuel/running cost, but for max range days then ... only long journey values are relevant, otherwise the set-off energy penalty distorts the figure.

but the thread is "max range in the rain" and extrapolating short journeys to predict Max Range doesn't work because of the impact of set-off energy penalty, and HVAC impact on short journey speeds vs. long journey speeds

If you’re concerned about range don’t get a short range model 3 like you did in the Model X.

15% hit for rain is pretty good. Don’t expect Model 3 to do much better. But it depends a lot on how much rain. If it’s hills, how big is the hill? If it’s cold, how cold? Rain could be any where from 40% hit to a 5% hit.

To be honest since the Model 3 is lighter and more efficient. I would suggest things like rain adding cargo etc. have a bigger hit than Model X.

If you want serious range get a Model S ;)
It might hit 385 (EPA) with the upcoming 3% range boost. Your range may vary.

Reactions: jerry33
If you’re concerned about range don’t get a short range model 3 like you did in the Model X.

15% hit for rain is pretty good. Don’t expect Model 3 to do much better. But it depends a lot on how much rain. If it’s hills, how big is the hill? If it’s cold, how cold? Rain could be any where from 40% hit to a 5% hit.

To be honest since the Model 3 is lighter and more efficient. I would suggest things like rain adding cargo etc. have a bigger hit than Model X.

If you want serious range get a Model S ;)
It might hit 385 (EPA) with the upcoming 3% range boost. Your range may vary.
Putting some air in the tires will help as well.

Your right, it is about range and my grey matter diluted that, but it is nice seeing TeslaFi report an estimated range more closer matching the rated range simply by tweaking the drivers environment.

Nice to see what a few tweaks and a bit of care can achieve. Thats a 368 mile range!

teslafi mileage.jpg

Yesterday I did a 156 mile round trip to the Yorkshire Dales, the whole drive in heavy rain. Two thirds of the drive was on the motorway. Going there I averaged just under 70, and on the return it was probably under 60mph. There were three people in the car, and the temperature was about 8C. I started out with 98% battery, and had 22% left when I got back. I wasn’t particularly heavy with my right foot. That gave me a range of less than 200 miles in an M3P.

Drove my new Model 3 SR+ Farnham, Surrey to Ilfracombe, North devon two weeks ago, mainly down the A303. Averaged 47MPH (a good run, I do it often) for a 165 Mile/ 3.5hr journey - wind against and dark with rain for the last hour over Exmoor. Started at 100% and arrived with 10% charge. On the way back - wind with, no rain and daylight I arrived with 20% charge.

I would say that full range at 15c, no wind or rain, daylight in this car would be 210 miles the way I drive (averaging 242 wh/mile) and that will drop off by about 20% if against the wind, raining and lights on. yet to see how Winter temps will affect this.

• Helpful
Reactions: Curious George
Yesterday I did a 156 mile round trip to the Yorkshire Dales, the whole drive in heavy rain. Two thirds of the drive was on the motorway. Going there I averaged just under 70, and on the return it was probably under 60mph. There were three people in the car, and the temperature was about 8C. I started out with 98% battery, and had 22% left when I got back. I wasn’t particularly heavy with my right foot. That gave me a range of less than 200 miles in an M3P.

What was HVAC set to and were you using heated seats?

The big change for us was not letting the heat/AC blast out at 21/22C and keep to minimal but enjoy the heated seats. After a while, you stop thinking you have pee'd yourself and for those that have actually pee'd themselves, it helps them dry out a bit ... too far?

Thanks, that's the kind of real life feedback I was looking for. Our 75D X is currently managing about 150 miles with the rain and at reasonable speeds. Not an issue most of the time, but equally no point in pretending EVs currently have the convenient range of combustion cars we are use to.

The big change for us was not letting the heat/AC blast out at 21/22C and keep to minimal but enjoy the heated seats. After a while, you stop thinking you have pee'd yourself and for those that have actually pee'd themselves, it helps them dry out a bit ... too far?

Yes, HVAC will have made a significant difference. On the way there we didn't use heated seats and the temperature was set to 20C. After more than four hours of walking in heavy rain, though we were all cold and wet, and on the way home we had three heated seats at level 2 and heating at 22C.

Is it possible to simultaneously see the energy graph (which shows real range based on current conditions) and the navigation map on screen?

I'm not familiar with the Model 3 displays, but in an S I normally just rely on the battery percentage indication at the bottom of the navigation list (where it says xx% at destination, yy% return to origin). Keeping an eye on whether the percentage is going up or down is usually enough for me: the two common situations are either that the shown percentage is OK and I just need to be sure it's not going down (though car will normally put up "drive below 70 to ensure you reach the destination" warnings in that case); or else the shown percentage is uncomfortably small and I'm hypermiling vigorously for a short stretch to see whether I'm going to be able to beat the estimate or need to divert to a charging option.

You are basing that on the 75D X (Non-Raven) which is at the low end of Max Range Teslas ...

I'm changing to a LR Model-S Raven in order that I can get rid of my backup ICE. I'm expecting 300 miles at motorway speed, dropping to 250 miles in rain / mid-winter.

Your missing the point of the post....which is MODEL 3 range in rain.

Am NOT asking about X consumption/range I know that after 40k and 3 UK winter's :).

What am wondering is if a LR AWD Model 3 would work to replace my wifes self charging hybrid which is used year round for 300 miles work round trips. Given my wife does most of these trips she doesn't enjoy hyper milling, stopping for a charge in the dark by her self, or driving with no heating because of range anxiety.

Add in the fact the total ownership cost of the Lexus over the last 12 months has been £1500 ALL in, that's deprecation + fuel + servicing + insurance, ponning up £30K required to swap the Lexus for a LW Model 3 seems a bit pointless, especially given the fact with a real life range of 200 miles in UK winter conditions virtually all the work trips would require a charging stop where as now its just a case of get into lane 3 on the M-way and than keep going till you get home/destination. Therefore for us swapping the Lexus for a LR Model 3 makes zero sense.

Since you asked about splashing out on a LR S/X as the main car, the figures aren't much better.

Our X was £71K invoice, a new LR X is £91K same spec essentially but more range. The longest regular trip we do is Leicester to Cardiff which our current X does fine, in 3 years I've only had to stop on 2 occasions for a charge due to unpredicted rain/wind etc. We're doing just under 15K a year in the X currently, I've never run out of charge and only charge to 100% a few times a months if that so we rarely even use all the range in our 75D X for family trips. But lets be generous and say the extra range would benefit us in 10% of those trips, so 1500 miles a year. We will be keeping the X for 8 years, so over that time 12K miles of more relaxed journeys due to extra range, now lets assume both cars are worth £0 out of the battery/motor warranty, and factor in the £20K difference in price, that extra range is in effect costing £1.7 per mile, given our X has 'free for life' supercharging, and a 10 minute stop would more than make up any range difference and make zero difference on family trips, paying an premium for extra range we will rarely use if utter financial madness.

Everyones car use is different, overall am very happy with the setup we have now, the EV does virtually all weekend/family trips, and we have the convience of a petrol car for time sensitive long distance work trips. I see very little reason financially or practically to change our cars for the next 5 years, and trust me given how often I swap cars in the past that's saying something!!

I can understand why some people want to go full EV, but lets not pretend that's either practical or economical solution for most UK families, far from it. The more we use EVs the more am seeing why Toyota/Lexus have stuck with 'self charging' hybrids. The fact our Lexus has only depreicated by £500 in the last 12 months tells you most UK car buyers are feeling the same way.

Oh and our Lexus will also soon be 5 years old, total amount of time/money spent on repairs/warranty claims £0/0 minutes, I suspect there isn't a single Tesla owners who has got to 5 years without needing to visit a service centre, for our X I'm now booking appointments in advance in anticipation of faults - going in next week for a stuck door latch - 5th visit so far since Jan this year!

Am sure you're new Raven LR S will be fab, but not everyone in the UK is ready to go full EV just yet, I know we as a family 100% aren't ready for a full EV driveway.

Last edited:
What am wondering is if a LR AWD Model 3 would work to replace my wifes self charging hybrid which is used year round for 300 miles work round trips. Given my wife does most of these trips she doesn't enjoy hyper milling, stopping for a charge in the dark by her self, or driving with no heating because of range anxiety.

I don't think it will do what she wants. Add a supercharge yes, but not without.

I don't think it will do what she wants. Add a supercharge yes, but not without.

Thats sadly what I thought and now confirmed by owners.

Woodhall chargers south bound M1, right at the back of the services, hardly anyone else around, am not sure I would feel that comfortable sitting there charging in a £50k+ car in the middle of the night on the way home, let alone my wife by her self.

To be honest am amazed car jacking haven't occured at Hoopwood yet, given at anyone time you could have access to a dozen £50-100k machines sitting there with owners not able to move their cars.....Given the madness that happens in broad day light in Brimingham surely its just a matter of time before the low lives catch on to the hen with golden eggs that is Tesla SCs :(.

No Heated seats and 20c - it was a warmish wind so, with battery warming I suspect not much extra heat needed.