Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RC Colors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in Norway and after seeing midnight silver everywhere I sure hope the Model 3 ships in midnight silver.

There are a crazy number of Tesla here. I saw a blue Model X and was wondering if it was Bjorn's.
I have an honest question, I see in your signature line that you reserved at Tesla in Austin, TX. How did that happen since it is my understanding that Texas does not allow any direct sales by Tesla? Happy for you, but confused.

I have an honest question, I see in your signature line that you reserved at Tesla in Austin, TX. How did that happen since it is my understanding that Texas does not allow any direct sales by Tesla? Happy for you, but confused.
TX has galleries that you can look at and sit in the cars and talk to Tesla people but they can't discuss actual ordering with them. TX also has service centers as well. You can order one online and have it delivered to the service center for pickup. The sale just goes through Fremont instead. So it really doesn't prevent any direct sales, just a bit more inconvenient and hoops to jump through.

So to get back to Model 3 RC colors: so far, have we seen photos of every current Tesla color on a Model 3 except for Midnight Silver and Obsidian Black?

I think we have seen black, deep blue metallic, silver metallic, red multi-coat, and a white which I can't tell is plain white or pearl white multi-coat.

And apparently some people believe we have seen a Model 3 in Signature Red or something similar. But was that just on the mock up (non functional) Model 3?

I remain hopeful that Tesla will be introducing some new paint colors soon. But than I have been hoping that for well over a year now, but all that has happened is that plain white and Titanium Metallic (my favorite) were discontinued. So the number of available colors has shrunk. Disappointing, and a bit mystifying.

Last edited:
Sales tax is still paid in TX when registered, no sales tax paid in CA. Having to purchase online only makes the whole process of registration etc a little more inconvenient.
That is incorrect as I read California tax law. You pay use tax (sales tax) in California if your State doesn't allow direct sales and then most States will credit that toward any sales tax you owe in your home State.

That is incorrect as I read California tax law. You pay use tax (sales tax) in California if your State doesn't allow direct sales and then most States will credit that toward any sales tax you owe in your home State.
Not the case though as people indeed are paying sales tax to state of TX not CA. Not sure all the details on hows and whys but that is how it is.

And one wonders why TX didn't get the Gigafactory :mad:

Thanks, but the quality of that photo, and the overcast lighting, is insufficient to accurately determine what shade of red that car is.

I agree. If you watch the video of that car being followed you see it as 2 stop signs. The color of the stop signs is similar to the car color, especially the second stop sign. Instead of being bright red as stop signs are. Indicates to me that it's not an accurate portrayal of the car color.

Thanks, but the quality of that photo, and the overcast lighting, is insufficient to accurately determine what shade of red that car is.
I totally agree. Between the lighting and quality of phone camera sensors I question whether it was signature red. I really doubt it but who knows? I don't recall, was there a "VIN" number on it?

That does not apply to Vehicles that are purchased for use outside of CA by non-CA residents. Here is the actual TAX LAW and it references what form has to be filled out on delivery of the vehicle.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub52.pdf

If for whatever reason Tesla decided that you get the inside color based on the outside color, what do you think the combos would be?

According to the new (hidden) Model S build page:

Black - Black w/ white headliner and black trim
Silver - Black w/ black headliner and wood trim
Midnight - Black w/ black headliner and wood trim
Blue - Black w/ black headliner and wood trim
White - Black w/ black headliner and wood trim
Red - White w/ black headliner and black trim
Obsidian - Black w/ black headliner and wood trim

Zaphod was right. We do have a "showroom". The employees are not allowed to discuss pricing or delivery. All they can do is point you to a computer for you to configure on your own. Once you order then you have the car delivered to the service center and you have to register and pay sales tax yourself.

This doesn't scare me because I have gone through this process one other time. I ordered a 2005 Mustang GT when they first came out from the Ford dealership where my dad worked in California. It took months for them to make my car and in the time between ordering and receiving the car I moved to Texas. They ended up changing the factory delivery of the car from his dealership to one in Texas where I picked it up. They paid the dealer to prep the car but since they did not sell it they couldn't register it for me. My dad's dealership sent me a Certificate of Origin (which I assume is what Tesla does) and a bill of sale. I took those two documents into the county tax office here and they registered the car, charged me sales tax, and handed me my plates.

I am guessing it is the same process for Tesla too. I paid cash for that car so financing wasn't an issue. I will probably finance the Tesla so hopefully that doesn't add some kinks in the entire plan.