Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 refresh - retrofit changes to MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thoughts on whether the center console can be retrofitted to an MY?

upload_2020-10-16_10-18-44.png

I don't see any changes in the updated Tesla M3 site, but supposedly the steering wheel has changed? Electek states it is heated, but I find no evidence of that on Tesla's site. M3 still has auto-dimming side mirrors...would love to have them on my MY. I continue to get blinded at night by drivers behind me. Maybe they can be retrofitted??

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Ah, makes sense about the side mirrors being differing sizes.. Oh, well, Maybe if they add them to the MY in the future, retrofitting won't be too terrible. Agree about the wheel. I've found aftermarket retrofit kits where the heating element can be added under a wrap, either by removing your existing wrap or adding another one over it. Without existing MY wiring to handle the addition, aftermarket may be the only path. Just absurd at this price point that both self-dimming side mirrors and a heated steering wheel isn't standard or available. Even the Leaf and Bolt have these. And the Bolt has the top-down 360 view, which I still miss...backup with the side-view cameras really isn't as helpful.

Reactions: glide
Ah, makes sense about the side mirrors being differing sizes.. Oh, well, Maybe if they add them to the MY in the future, retrofitting won't be too terrible. Agree about the wheel. I've found aftermarket retrofit kits where the heating element can be added under a wrap, either by removing your existing wrap or adding another one over it. Without existing MY wiring to handle the addition, aftermarket may be the only path. Just absurd at this price point that both self-dimming side mirrors and a heated steering wheel isn't standard or available. Even the Leaf and Bolt have these. And the Bolt has the top-down 360 view, which I still miss...backup with the side-view cameras really isn't as helpful.
Hopefully all the required wiring is already present in the Y and the heating option is simply a software unlock for the screen.

I have to imagine the dimming mirrors will make their way to the Y eventually. Doesn’t make sense that it is the only vehicle in the line without them.

Reactions: zh2oson
I don’t understand why the heated steering wheel was not an option in the Y from day 1.

So they produced vehicles without it for less than 6 months then just made the switch out of the blue? Makes zero sense.

Out of all the options: Center Console, Heated Wheel, Biodefense filter, and new door trims.

I would rate from easy to hard to do is
Heated Wheel
CenterConsole
DoorTrims
Biodefense

This is assuming software can be done by Tesla, otherwise, the list is only
CenterConsole
Door Trims

I don’t understand why the heated steering wheel was not an option in the Y from day 1.

So they produced vehicles without it for less than 6 months then just made the switch out of the blue? Makes zero sense.

Depending upon when it was added, maybe closer to 9 months, and on a new model year? I don't think that is particularly uncommon.

thats because Tesla is a tech company first and car company second. Agile development and continuous integration and delivery is an actual thing.

The Model Y was released some nine months early too. There were a whole bunch of parts and suppliers that probably weren't lined up yet for everything they wanted to do.
This sounds like the most plausible reason. They planned to include the heated wheel from day one but either came to market early or had supply issues and simply dipped into the M3 parts bin.

It’s disgraceful that a $60K vehicle did not come with a heated wheel in 2020. There are no technical limitations to explain that one away.

Reactions: Giraffe950
I'm waiting for the following to be 100% in production before I order my wife her Y:
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • LED Projector Headlights
  • New Center Console
Once all of those boxes are checked I'll order. If LR RWD is an option I may consider that if the rated range is 350+ miles.

C'mon folks. It doesn't matter which car you buy. We all run the risk of losing out on some options, updates on interior/exterior pieces from year to year. Drive the Y you have with joy, then when all the options you want are available for the Y, trade yours in for it if it's that important to you. But then again, who is to say they won't have another thing come out a month after you buy that one? What if, all of the sudden, they decide to include air suspension on the Y? See where I am going with this?

• Disagree
Reactions: bicar and glide
I really liked model Y as it was and I wouldn't miss much on the new features but I decided not to go through with my VIN assigned number after I've test drove it just few days before the New Year.
New night dimming (not auto) side mirrors that can't be turned off was really awful experience in the middle of Chicago at night. I've joined this forum in hope to hear others experience with them. If they do update it seems that this is the place that will be the first to announce it and then I can finally continue with the purchase. Anyone else bothered by them? I also think I couldn't adjust them nicely and I saw comments people are breaking pins inside of them. Does anyone know if recent update got a toggle to turn dimming off?

C'mon folks. It doesn't matter which car you buy. We all run the risk of losing out on some options, updates on interior/exterior pieces from year to year. Drive the Y you have with joy, then when all the options you want are available for the Y, trade yours in for it if it's that important to you. But then again, who is to say they won't have another thing come out a month after you buy that one? What if, all of the sudden, they decide to include air suspension on the Y? See where I am going with this?
This is the most basic feature one can imagine on a vehicle these days. How it was omitted is beyond me.

This is the most basic feature one can imagine on a vehicle these days. How it was omitted is beyond me.
If you're referring to heated steering wheel I agree with you that it is a basic feature but since you can preheat the whole cabin remotely, it doesn't make much of a difference at least to me. If you would get into the cold car and want to heat it up quickly that's different.

Reactions: bicar
I really liked model Y as it was and I wouldn't miss much on the new features but I decided not to go through with my VIN assigned number after I've test drove it just few days before the New Year.
New night dimming (not auto) side mirrors that can't be turned off was really awful experience in the middle of Chicago at night. I've joined this forum in hope to hear others experience with them. If they do update it seems that this is the place that will be the first to announce it and then I can finally continue with the purchase. Anyone else bothered by them? I also think I couldn't adjust them nicely and I saw comments people are breaking pins inside of them. Does anyone know if recent update got a toggle to turn dimming off?
The dimming feature on the side-mirrors are inherently built-in (much like the rearview mirror in the cabin) to the mirror because it has sensors. Currently you can not turn off the dimming feature in the cabin either so getting a switch implemented may take a while (or never).

That dimming didn’t seem that it was using any sensors at all except detecting it was night. While I was parked I saw everything nicely and as soon as I started to sail they’ve kicked in and dimmed completely and stayed like that. If they would dim only when the bright lights are pointed at you I would have gone through the purchase... I wonder why more people are not complaining that “auto” not actually being auto and if that was just a faulty test drive model???

If you're referring to heated steering wheel I agree with you that it is a basic feature but since you can preheat the whole cabin remotely, it doesn't make much of a difference at least to me. If you would get into the cold car and want to heat it up quickly that's different.
I am speaking about the heated wheel. For me, cabin pre-heating doesn’t remotely replicate the experience of a heated wheel.