Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be testing this very shortly, direct test against a 2019 model. In different conditions.

Can't wait for your results! Considering early winter-weather tests from an owner in Alberta last month found Model Y efficiency about 2% higher than the smaller, more aerodynamic Model 3 LR AWD, I would expect post-pump Model 3s to be more efficient than pre-pump ones by around 10%, plus or minus a few per cent (in cold weather of course).

As usual Electrek misses the point.

Unsurprisingly, the battery has the potential to be unlocked - but note that the 353 rated miles on the 2021 AWD was achieved with LESS energy than the 2020 vehicles! (See prior post.)

This means 2021 really will have tons of range in the US once all the extra energy is made available. I predict about 370 rated miles.

This info is all publicly available - see above.

Several people in the Norwegian owners group are reporting that their sales advisor told them their previous winter tires won't fit on their new Model 3 because of new wheel sensors.

So it looks like 2021 Model 3 is adopting the Model Y BLE TPMS sensors. The EPC also contains BLE sensor for the Model 3, the receiver wasn't added, only the sensor.

Screenshot 2020-11-11 at 00.55.27.png

As usual Electrek misses the point.

Unsurprisingly, the battery has the potential to be unlocked - but note that the 353 rated miles on the 2021 AWD was achieved with LESS energy than the 2020 vehicles! (See prior post.)

This means 2021 really will have tons of range in the US once all the extra energy is made available. I predict about 370 rated miles.

This info is all publicly available - see above.

Can you lay this out plainly?

So it looks like 2021 Model 3 is adopting the Model Y BLE TPMS sensors.
I guess that makes sense from a standardization perspective, but I haven't figured out the advantage of the BLE sensors.

For those unaware, the Bluetooth Model Y TPMS sensors are not available aftermarket. They're currently only available from Tesla and are $75 each or $300 for a set. I just bought a set of the old TPMS sensors for $80 on Amazon.

I guess that makes sense from a standardization perspective, but I haven't figured out the advantage of the BLE sensors.

For those unaware, the Bluetooth Model Y TPMS sensors are not available aftermarket. They're currently only available from Tesla and are $75 each or $300 for a set. I just bought a set of the old TPMS sensors for $80 on Amazon.

Cost savings most likely. I think the 433 MHz TPMS are patented by Continental or something, so probably pricey.

Reactions: MP3Mike
It could be that some got the cut with a bigger battery and some didn't and were develiered with the old one, so that will only be conclusive if the capacity reported is higher.

If you have a car with 580km WLTP range showing 78kWh that seems definitive. However, not sure what you’ll see over there. All I know is in the US we can have 353 rated miles with 78kWh per ScanMyTesla.

ScanMyTesla.

Can you lay this out plainly?

It’s all here. All information on battery size is publicly available. We do not need to guess.

Model 3 Refresh?!

Cost savings most likely. I think the 433 MHz TPMS are patented by Continental or something, so probably pricey.

You’ll have to explain this to me since they appear to be 3x the cost. Or are you saying they are both cheaper and Tesla is making a money grab? Or are the aftermarket TPMS you can purchase violating the patent somehow, so are cheaper?

Last edited:
The EPA docs I saw show both 2020 Models (Y&3) with 480 kg battery packs with energy density of 150 watt-hrs/kg. Both 2021 Models also show 480 kg battery packs with 165 watt-hrs/kg. Not sure how accurate their documentation might be, but does reflect a 10% boost in energy density.

You’ll have to explain this to me since they appear to be 3x the cost. Or are you saying they are both cheaper and Tesla is making a money grab? Or are the aftermarket TPMS you can purchase violating the patent somehow, so are cheaper?
More than just the wheel sensors, the 433 MHz has 4 receivers, one in each wheel well. And all of the wiring to all of the receivers they can skip. Using Bluetooth they can use the built in Bluetooth modem and skip the receivers and wiring.

The EPA docs I saw show both 2020 Models (Y&3) with 480 kg battery packs with energy density of 150 watt-hrs/kg. Both 2021 Models also show 480 kg battery packs with 165 watt-hrs/kg. Not sure how accurate their documentation might be, but does reflect a 10% boost in energy density.

Yeah, this has always been a bit weird.

480kg*150Wh/kg = 72kWh (We know this is wrong.)

480kg*165Wh/kg = 79.2kWh (We know this is also wrong.)

But, it does seem like they're iterating to the right answer! :) I don't have a lot of doubt that the pack capacity will be increasing at this point, based on the Europe data. But it's worth noting that the US 2021 AWD (non-P) is NOT using that extra capacity at the current time (in the EPA test it had less capacity (78.6kWh) than the 2020 (~79.5kWh)...though as discussed elsewhere there is some random variation on these numbers). So room for growth there.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Model 3s to be more efficient than pre-pump ones by around 10%, plus or minus a few per cent (in cold weather of course).
This will all depend on avg speed. I would say in highway speed it could be lower and in city, cold weather set to Auto higher. But I never drive on Auto in the winter, because the car uses the AC on Auto, hence my consumption in the winter is not that much higher than summer.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Damn it, I have a set of winter tires for my 2021 P3 waiting in the garage with the old sensors.

This will all depend on avg speed. I would say in highway speed it could be lower and in city, cold weather set to Auto higher. But I never drive on Auto in the winter, because the car uses the AC on Auto, hence my consumption in the winter is not that much higher than summer.
Why would the heat pump equipped car be less efficient than a non-heat pump equipped car at highway speed, or have I misunderstood?

Why would the heat pump equipped car be less efficient than a non-heat pump equipped car at highway speed, or have I misunderstood?
misunderstood. I meant that at highway speed the difference between no heat pump vs heat pump is minimal, because the car is warm and it travels at high speeds. I would assume the dif here will be not more than 5%-10%. The main advantage is in stop and go city traffic on short distances with cold car.