Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reliability/Issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having some doubts with my upcoming delivery date after reading some of the forum posts/videos relating to the Model S and X and their overall reliability with the several repairs people have had to go through. Here are my primary issues
- I want to keep the car for 5-10 years, will it suffice?
- Post-Warranty sounds like a nightmare. Do I have to pay out of pocket for every repair or will there be an extended warranty or should my insurance cover it?
- My car should have been built within the last 2 months, how much has the quality improved since the initial launch?
- I live 2 hours from a service center, how will repairs work if I need one covered under warranty?

Any sort of reassurance or personal experience would be helpful.
Lucy has 5,000 glorious miles, zero issues, Problems get posted more than Perfect does. Car insurance covers accidents, not repairs or maintenance. Every car out of warranty is identical in that you pay for repairs. Teslas have less moving parts though so I’m expecting less issue down the line. Tesla has a mobile ranger service that can come to you.

You’ll really love this car. Every update feels like getting a new car.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Just adding to the report: ~9k miles, had mine since April (14k VIN). The car has been great so far.

The only service request I had was a phone call when a firmware update failed and threw up a series of errors. Tech pushed a revised firmware and corrected it.

Add me to the list of those who hope nothing goes wrong. Because if it does, my confidence level is low that it'll get fixed soon.

I was at a Dead & CO concert this summer, was talking to an Executive at Audi USA. She warned me against buying the car. She warned that if there was an accident it could take months to get the car fixed. She told me Audi was hiring away Tesla's techs -- because of Tesla wasn't treating them right. She had inside information.

Would I buy ours (red brakes) again? Eh, yes.

For those that are having problems, consumers must hold companies accountable. Follow what Ralph Nader advocates. Be a Gadfly. Defend your rights at all costs.

I'll add a personal story then drop out.

I'm having a beef with Nest (Google). Long story short is they're not honoring a price they promised. For us, it's about $300 bucks. They're wrong and I'm taking them to Small Claims Court. That's right, I'm taking Google to Small Claims Court. I will fight them until I get to a Judge.

I fully understand what a battle I'm in for. It's David v. Goliath. I will have to spend thousands in time and money to fight for my $300 bucks. I'm tripping over a dollar to pick up a nickel.

I'm doing it because I believe in America. I believe in freedom. I believe in what Ralph Nader advocates.

I started in tech in '89. In the early 90's we complained that Microsoft had built a browser into their Operating System -- how dare they! Now look at where we are. Microsoft looks like a choirboy compared to the power that Google, Facebook, and Apple has. A few companies control our lives. They'll continue to tighten the strings until we the consumer fight back.

I hope my story v. Nest makes the national news. Then I hope other consumers do the same thing. Just because we've checked a box in a User Agreement does not mean we have no rights. There are laws in each state that protect consumers. There's also the court of public opinion. If we the consumer and we the people don't start fighting back we will give up what's left of our freedoms, rights, and way of life.

We simply cannot let this happen. We cannot let the man, or a few companies, take over. No! Doing so goes against what this great nation was founded on.

Power is never ceded without demand.

The only way Tesla will change is if we force them to - buy not buying their cars, defending our rights, or calling them on the carpet.

Tesla needs to respect us. We're not users, we're customers.

As owners, we need to understand we have more power than we think. If Tesla is not cutting it, we need to complain and fight. We need to write letters, make phone calls, show up to their stores and protest.

Or this;

I have an October 2018 build and just about 2k miles, there was only one small issue on the interior material where the windshield meets the roof glass. It is going to be fixed eventually though i did not find it till yesterday. Otherwise delivery the exterior of the car was really solid, even my detailer commented that it was a great paint job for a normal car company (some almost non-noticeable swirls but overall really great). Overall I love the car, my wife did break the passenger side mirror unit and we are waiting on a back ordered part for the car. I would say that they need to get parts made but i think its just the end of year and Q4 push that is keeping parts backordered.

My experience with Tesla service has been questionable. They refused to do my 3,000 mile oil change, even after my demanding they do so under warranty. Similarly, they flat out refused to verify proper operation of the spark plugs, coil, starter motor, and oxygen sensors, despite my insistence. I'm done with them!

And it's just not Tesla service that has been poor. Aftermarket parts are non existent. I've always added a performance cold air intake and exhaust upgrade, but those are not yet available -- even K&N doesn't have them available. And on top of that, someone must have stolen my catalytic converter and nobody (even Tesla) has a replacement available. It's going to cost a fortune to get one, if they are ever available.

I'm also sure this Model 3 has serious safety issues. During my regular brake inspection I found the pads virtually unused. I'm thinking there must be some issue with their operation because they are not wearing as they should be. This is a safety issue!!!!1!!1!!!1

If you are looking for easy to fix, look elsewhere. I was talking with my mechanic and he refuses to touch them. Says he'll go out of business before he'll see this car in his shop.

5 of 7 Model 3s at my office have gone to the service center after delivery. All the problems were cosmetic and rattles except for one dead 12V battery. It's a great car but personally I'm not sure it's worth the hassle if you live 2 hours from a service center. It really depends on how reliable you expect a car to be and your appetite for risk. It's a tough call because there's really nothing like it.
I'm less than 35 miles from a SC they've defaulted to sending a Ranger, which can cover a fair amount of stuff. I did go to the SC once because my Internet is brutally bad and the map update required for the On Nav feature required a several GB map data pack download. However they could have sent a Ranger on that, too, and hot spotted. It just would have been a long sit onsite as the download happened so they went with the SC because I was only 40 min away. All the rattle and trim stuff the Rangers have handled easily at my home.

I've had my car for about 2 months and its great. but....there are fingerprints stuck in the windsheild that can't be wiped off; ratting in both the drivers and passenger's door; passenger's door speaker rattles with any sound of bass; the charge port makes the infamous noise that wont stop. I have an apt on the 18th and I'll see if Tesla makes things right because I expect a little better quality control for an 75k car.