Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Res Holder Tests Drives First Electric Car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, the only reason they've sold so many cars in such a short amount of time is because their cars weren't previously available. They're the new and exciting thing on the block and as such reap the benefits of all that buzz. 50 years down the road when all the hype has sufficiently worn off, they'll be selling cars at the same rate as everybody else.
Yes. The ever-popular 'it's just a passing fad' concept. Whatever. Take a look at this from GoodCarBadCar:

You would have us believe this is meaningless, it seems. Trust that the members of NADA do not agree with you. They are sufficiently bothered by the repeated pummeling of flagship vehicles that have '...history, prestige, status, luxury, tradition, exclusivity, craftsmanship...' and all that other crap on their side. They could certainly turn things around (even BMW 7-Series sales are improving this year). There's less than four years until the Model S 2.0 is revealed in 2020 after all (hopefully with adjustable height shoulder belts, and air vents in the third row).

Also, two spaces after a period is wrong.
My 10th Grade Typing Instructor firmly believed otherwise, as did every single English Composition teacher I had before that point. You are welcome to time travel to circa 1982 and explain to her why she was wrong. I am aware that there have been a few rather persnickety instructors who worked at private schools for girls who insisted there must be THREE spaces after a sentence, but I never encountered them myself. Perhaps you are slightly confused by the fact that HTML as displayed in web browsers typically truncates spaces to display as a single space if someone doesn't specifically use a non-breaking space or preformatted text. And by the way? I was also taught to use two spaces after a colon, though I sometimes forget.

Man, a lot of people seem to think the Model 3 will have all the latest and greatest features as options. Model S just got ventilated seats, and only for the top of the line model. You can't even get it on the lesser configurations of the same car. It also took them 4 years to do it.

And now you're expecting it to be an option on the budget car they're rolling out in a couple years? I think people are going to be sorely disappointed in the gimmicky features available on the 3.

I think whether a car will have ventilated seats just depends on what competition they look at. Lexus has it across the line it isn't a feature that separates an IS from an LS. Infiniti only seems to have it on higher cars but its cheaper sibling the Maxima has them. You can get them on a Ford so it just depends on what Tesla wants to do with it.

Honestly I think the only reason it is on the P100D is because they probably don't have enough quantities to meet demand for the option. I am guessing it will become part of the interior upgrade package across the entire Model S line. Why couldn't it be part of the Model 3 as well? I don't think the average consumer who is looking at a Model 3 will all of a sudden decide not to buy it and buy a Model S just because of ventilated seats. There might be some fringe cases. Why does someone buy a Lexus LS over a IS or a 7 series over a 3 series. I honestly don't think that it is because one has ventilated seats or not. I think it is what people can afford, prestige, etc... I don't think adding ventilated seats to the 3 will reduce model S sales in itself. If I can get them on a Maxima then there is no reason that I shouldn't believe it will be on my Model 3. If it isn't oh well but I am going to have high hopes.

I think whether a car will have ventilated seats just depends on what competition they look at. Lexus has it across the line it isn't a feature that separates an IS from an LS. Infiniti only seems to have it on higher cars but its cheaper sibling the Maxima has them. You can get them on a Ford so it just depends on what Tesla wants to do with it.

Honestly I think the only reason it is on the P100D is because they probably don't have enough quantities to meet demand for the option. I am guessing it will become part of the interior upgrade package across the entire Model S line. Why couldn't it be part of the Model 3 as well? I don't think the average consumer who is looking at a Model 3 will all of a sudden decide not to buy it and buy a Model S just because of ventilated seats. There might be some fringe cases. Why does someone buy a Lexus LS over a IS or a 7 series over a 3 series. I honestly don't think that it is because one has ventilated seats or not. I think it is what people can afford, prestige, etc... I don't think adding ventilated seats to the 3 will reduce model S sales in itself. If I can get them on a Maxima then there is no reason that I shouldn't believe it will be on my Model 3. If it isn't oh well but I am going to have high hopes.

No, peasant. You are buying a $35,000 car. You are expected to sit on a milk crate whilst hand-cranking your windows. If you want seat warmers, you will sit on hand-warmer packs. If you want cooled seats, I suggest moist facecloths dipped in ice water.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

(Clearly, I'm kidding here.)

I'm really not sure where the idea came from that a car whose price STARTS at $35,000 won't have some of these things as options.

Yes. The ever-popular 'it's just a passing fad' concept. Whatever. Take a look at this from GoodCarBadCar:

You would have us believe this is meaningless, it seems. Trust that the members of NADA do not agree with you. They are sufficiently bothered by the repeated pummeling of flagship vehicles that have '...history, prestige, status, luxury, tradition, exclusivity, craftsmanship...' and all that other crap on their side. They could certainly turn things around (even BMW 7-Series sales are improving this year). There's less than four years until the Model S 2.0 is revealed in 2020 after all (hopefully with adjustable height shoulder belts, and air vents in the third row).
Never said it was a "passing fad", just that its insane popularity is passing. It was always be a fad because it's, well, Tesla. All that red lettering and italicized text did was just reiterate what I said. Tesla is a player in the luxury market and because they're the new cool kid on the block, they're even more popular. It'll die down and they'll fall in line with the rest of the luxury manufacturers. There just isn't enough data to say conclusively that Tesla's current Model S sales will be the norm from here on out. They most certainly will drop once the 3 arrives. All the inventory cars and discounts and whatever only further suggests that the initial demand is falling off.

My 10th Grade Typing Instructor firmly believed otherwise, as did every single English Composition teacher I had before that point. You are welcome to time travel to circa 1982 and explain to her why she was wrong. I am aware that there have been a few rather persnickety instructors who worked at private schools for girls who insisted there must be THREE spaces after a sentence, but I never encountered them myself. Perhaps you are slightly confused by the fact that HTML as displayed in web browsers typically truncates spaces to display as a single space if someone doesn't specifically use a non-breaking space or preformatted text. And by the way? I was also taught to use two spaces after a colon, though I sometimes forget.

Because Google is fun, I searched for "two spaces after a period". You should too!

A couple of my favorites:

Two Spaces After a Period: Why You Should Never, Ever Do It
Nothing Says Over 40 Like Two Spaces after a Period! (lmao!)
Why you should never add two spaces after a period
http://lifehacker.com/double-spacing-after-a-period-could-reveal-your-age-1656109447 (double lmao!)

• Disagree
Reactions: Red Sage
No, peasant. You are buying a $35,000 car. You are expected to sit on a milk crate whilst hand-cranking your windows. If you want seat warmers, you will sit on hand-warmer packs. If you want cooled seats, I suggest moist facecloths dipped in ice water.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

(Clearly, I'm kidding here.)

I'm really not sure where the idea came from that a car whose price STARTS at $35,000 won't have some of these things as options.
No joke, I think there was an entire topic on here a few months back concerned about the prospect of hand-cranked windows in a base Model 3.

• Disagree
No joke, I think there was an entire topic on here a few months back concerned about the prospect of hand-cranked windows in a base Model 3.

Someone may have thought they were being serious, but no.

Just no.

It is a $35,000 base model car. Even at that level, there is a "floor" for expectations when it comes to what the vehicle will have as standard features.

As Tesla takes further steps to slash the bottom line on production costs by doing things like setting up drivetrain production at the Gigafactory, I'm feeling even more encouraged that the base model will still be a nice car.

Moot to me anyway, as I'll be checking off some options, but nice to know.

Do any manufacturers even make the hand cranks anymore?

I think whether a car will have ventilated seats just depends on what competition they look at.

It appears Tesla just figured out people like their ventilated seats. They only just started offering them for the X a couple months ago. This is another one of those baby steps the small start-up is taking. Jeez, they are still working on cupholders :)
I'm not knocking Tesla, it's just that there are many small, subtle improvements over the last 4-5 years making the S.
Think about it, they have only been making a production car for 5 years! Roadster doesn't count.
And beating the German's handily by the way :)

Never said it was a "passing fad", just that its insane popularity is passing. It was always be a fad because it's, well, Tesla. All that red lettering and italicized text did was just reiterate what I said. Tesla is a player in the luxury market and because they're the new cool kid on the block, they're even more popular. It'll die down and they'll fall in line with the rest of the luxury manufacturers. There just isn't enough data to say conclusively that Tesla's current Model S sales will be the norm from here on out. They most certainly will drop once the 3 arrives. All the inventory cars and discounts and whatever only further suggests that the initial demand is falling off.

Because Google is fun, I searched for "two spaces after a period". You should too!

A couple of my favorites:

Two Spaces After a Period: Why You Should Never, Ever Do It
Nothing Says Over 40 Like Two Spaces after a Period! (lmao!)
Why you should never add two spaces after a period
http://lifehacker.com/double-spacing-after-a-period-could-reveal-your-age-1656109447 (double lmao!)
Wait... 'all that red text'...?

Goodbye.

• Love
Reactions: eisbock
downtown Austin before moving to the domain
This is my 2nd time to the domain showroom
this new area of the domain

Forgive me, I am having a hard time trying to understand "domain". I am not familiar with your usage of the term. It doesn't seem to make sense to be like a web-site domain or domain of knowledge, so I'm scratching my head. Looking at pjoseph's post...
gallery @Domain
... is "domain" actually "Domain" and the name of a place? That would explain my misunderstanding. Thanks in advance!

Forgive me, I am having a hard time trying to understand "domain". I am not familiar with your usage of the term. It doesn't seem to make sense to be like a web-site domain or domain of knowledge, so I'm scratching my head. Looking at pjoseph's post...

... is "domain" actually "Domain" and the name of a place? That would explain my misunderstanding. Thanks in advance!
Yes, it is the name of a place. It is where the Tesla showroom is.

Welcome To The Domain® - A Shopping Center In Austin, TX - A Simon Property

As a classic Model S owner that just did an extended test drive of the Model X with PUP, the ventilated seats are not bad. At one point when I had the X, I had turned off the ventilated seats without paying attention. After driving 15 minutes, I noticed it and turned them on. The difference was noticeable immediately. However they do not have a strong sensation of cooling. The sensation is more like a regular seat that doesn't get as hot. So the effect is subtle.

So sorry yes it is a mall in Austin. Zaphod gave a link. I personally don't go there much because it is home to more expensive stores. My wife and I are not fancy people and they used to be strictly high end stores like Juicy Couture, Neiman Marcus, etc... Now it is averaging out and there is a section that has more average stores. We live closer to two other malls that are more normal that we go to when we absolutely have to but I am sure I'll be going more now that my daughter is a teenager haha.

Wait... 'all that red text'...?

Goodbye.
Oh, haha! Those were links! Didn't realize because they were bolded and I could swear nothing happened when I hovered over them the first time around... you tend to have a very emphatic style of posting (which is great, but take care not to overdo it) so I assumed you were trying to bash a little extra emphasis over my head. I apologize if any of this seemed aggressive. We're all on edge waiting for this new Tesla announcement! ;)