Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Res Holder Tests Drives First Electric Car...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I finally caved and drove a Tesla...

If you can call it that. My entire goal was to avoid it like the plague until I actually get closer to my model 3. A couple of things changed my mind. 1. The Model S is now significantly cheaper than it was when I first placed my model 3 reservation. 2. I came to the realization it probably isn't reasonable to place an order for any car unless I have at least driven the car. The problem is I can't drive a model 3 so at least a model S will give me some idea of a Tesla and what it is.

I figured I would note down my experience and log as much as I can remember to help others who might be in the same circumstance as I am. I don't like test driving cars unless I actually plan on buying a car soon. So this is strange for me. I justified it by wanting to get a feel for the car and the options and what they actually meant vs just seeing all this info on a website.

History...

I have owned many different cars in my past. Most are lower cost cars. They have been across the board to gutless and economical to fast and impractical. My most economical car was a 2001 Toyota Echo. My fastest car was a 2005 Mustang GT. I have also owned a '65 Mustang 2+2 289 Hipo, 2000 Accord Coupe, 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 (my current car). Plus my wife has a 2014 Odyssey Touring.

I have sat in two Teslas when Tesla brought a P85 and a P85+ to our company is 2013 for us to sit in and test drive. I work for a company that has about 20 chips in the car so they brought them for us to check out. I didn't get to test drive but I sat in the car for quite awhile. I have foggy memories of that but I mainly was enthralled with the touch screen at the time. I really didn't notice too much about the rest of the car. I did notice that it seemed pretty spartan inside and other than the wizbang electronics the car seemed pretty plain.

On one other previous occasion I did visit the Tesla showroom when it was in downtown Austin before moving to the domain. I remember they would only answer questions about the car but would not talk about price or anything like that. I think this was early enough on in the process that there was probably some fear of breaking the Texas dealership laws.

Requesting the test drive...

I had a pretty tough time getting a test drive. I live quite a way through traffic from the Tesla store in Austin. I am never in that part of town. I never go to the mall the showroom is located in. The last time I went up there was to put in my reservation and wait in line. Of course at that time I spent only 2 minutes in the showroom and didn't explore or do anything.

I had received multiple emails from Tesla encouraging me to drive the Model S. I bit on an email a couple months ago and filled out the form on their website and submitted and never heard back. I just dropped it and let it go. Then I got more emails a few weeks ago and decided to give it a try again. This time after filling it out again I noted that the website said I would be contacted in 24 hours. After 24 hours no call...

I posted my experience of not getting any calls even though they said I would hear from them in 24 hours. Someone on here encouraged me to email Tesla corporate sales to let them know about it. I did. About a week or so after that I got a call to schedule a test drive. I didn't get any feedback or emails from corporate. The phone call went as normal but they didn't mention that I emailed corporate. So I don't know if they actually caught up and scheduled me after the 1st request, 2nd request, or because of corporate. Who knows but I got contacted eventually.

My only comment on this is it seems concerning that it is difficult to get feedback from Tesla. Not sure how this will go when I have a car and it doesn't stop me from wanting one but I would say their system is brittle at best and I think if other car dealerships acted this way they probably would lose business. I do appreciate the no hassle nature of their business and prefer it but at the same time the complete lack of communication without my pressure isn't good.

The calls leading up to the drive...

I received two phone calls...

The first phone call was from a nice lady in California. We had a nice chat and she basically asked a bunch of questions about me and why I wanted a test drive. She was really friendly and the call went really long (probably because I am chatty) but I was impressed by how long she stayed on the phone. The main goal of the first call was to check availability and schedule me down.

The second call was from the actual person who would be going on the drive with me. This was a more pointed call. He asked if I had a trade in (I don't plan on selling my truck at this point so no). He wanted to know what my needs were. I explained that my main goal was to figure out options and I really wanted to try the different powertrains to get an idea of what would be adequate for me. I couldn't afford a P100D so my goal was to drive a 60 and maybe a 90D to see what the differences are. He explained they could software limit a performance car to the different levels so I could get a feel for all of them. The only problem is at the time of the call he didn't have any performance cars for test drives. He said they mainly had 60's and 75's. I explained I had a Model 3 reservation and was potentially interested in a Model S now that they are cheaper. Plus I wanted a good idea of the options etc... He said no problem.

The showroom...

This is my 2nd time to the domain showroom. I actually got lost on the way because they have all this new area of the domain I wasn't expecting and I was looking there for the showroom (did I say I never come up here). Anyway after about 10 minutes I found the Tesla showroom and parked in the garage next to the showroom. I walked in about 10 minutes prior to my scheduled test drive. When I walked in there was one employee talking to a woman who was checking out a 90D Model X. In the showroom was a rolling chassis, the Model X, and a 75D Model S.

I hopped into the Model S while the guy was occupied. Let me say that this Model S is leaps and bounds nicer than the original Model S I sat in at my company. The seats were amazing. The car was multi-coat red, black next-gen seats, and a white alcantera headliner. It appeared to have the interior upgrade package. I was impressed. This was a very nice quality car. The car felt really solid.

One of my thoughts was to listen to the sound on a standard sound system and an upgraded sound system to see if the $2500 upgrade was worth it. This wasn't something I could decide from just looking at the website. My only other real comparison to this type of upgrade is my wife's van. All Odyssey's except for the Elite have a 7 speaker sound system. To me it sounds muddy and it can be really difficult for people in the back to hear when at speed with road/wind noise. It was my biggest complaint in our 08 odyssey. Our new odyssey is an Elite and has 12 or 14 speakers and it is a high end system with DTS etc... I love the stereo and it is a night and day improvement over the old van. If it was a separate option on the lower end models I would say it is a necessity for most families just for the clarity and the ability to hear in all the rows. The Model S in the showroom had great sound. The highs were clear and the mids were a bit weak but could be adjusted. I thought the system was decent and I probably would be ok with it. The bass was a bit understated. At this point another employee came in so I got out of the car to see what I had to do at this point.

The employee checked me in for my test drive and said the guy giving me the ride would come out in a minute. He also scanned my driver's license. I also asked and he let me know that the Model S I had been listening to had the standard sound system. I then looked at the X in the showroom. I was surprised by how small the 3rd row seat is. I am used to an Odyssey mind you but it was surprisingly small. We had an '06 Pilot at one point and this was smaller than that if I remember correctly. I wouldn't be comfortable putting an adult back there. I didn't play with the seats much but it was tight. (this might have been able to be resolved). Also the front doors didn't feel as solid as the Model S. Plus the right door on the car made a weird noise when I opened it and had some weird vibrations from the hinge. This might be resolved I don't know but it is one of those things that probably would bug me that a normal dealer would say "that is normal". It definitely didn't feel as solid as the Model S. In addition there were TONS of scratches on the plastics by the 3rd row seat. That would drive me nuts. I think it is due to having to slide down the plastic to get into the 3rd row. Other than that the car was really neat and I even though I am seeming overly critical it was truly awesome. I am just stating what I observed. I didn't spend much time in the car. The Model X was the upgraded white color with black leather interior. It had the black alcantera headliner.

The Test Drive...

Next the employee who would be riding with me came out to meet me. I am a software engineer and was in cargo shorts and a button up shirt and I felt like I was WAY underdressed. Everyone in the showroom looked spiffy. Before we went out to the garage on the drive they had to get some stuff off the glass of the car. So we killed a wee bit of time in the showroom prior to going out. He reiterated what we discussed on the phone then we walked out to the garage. There were probably 5 model S and 2 model X in the garage. He first asked if I had any charging questions. I really didn't. He showed me the 50 amp plugs they have some Tesla destination chargers there as well.

The car I drove was a loaded P100DL. It was brand new and I was the maiden voyage. I didn't realize but there was a problem being the first driver which I'll mention later. Let me say that this car was the exact color scheme I want on my Model 3. It was midnight silver, black leather next gen, black alcantera, black 21" rims. I think the only option that the car didn't have was the rear seats. He immediately set the car to a 90D so I could try it out.

My first impression of the car is that it is really strange to drive. The lack of engine noise when putting in drive, no creep, ultra silent start. This is all foreign to me. When driving the regen was a bit to get used to. There were a few times when I took the foot off the accelerator (I can't say gas anymore...) and the car slowed way more than I was expecting. I apologized but he said I was doing surprisingly well for someone who hadn't experienced it before. Not sure if he was blowing smoke or not haha.

We immediately went on the freeway and tried autopilot. That was like being in a alternate universe. It was better than I was expecting. Mopac (the freeway) is under major construction. It has multiple paint stripes, large containers on the left shoulder with some that stick into the lane too far, the lanes shift back and fourth, etc... It handled it all perfectly. I was really impressed. My wife's van has lane departure warning and it freaks out all the time on this stuff. It is so bad I turned it off because it drives me nuts. The only weird thing is there was a camry in the right lane next to us at one point and the lanes were very narrow and the Model S freaked out and jammed the brakes. That took me off guard and even the sales guy said that he wasn't sure why that happened. I would say though the experience was 95% positive. I was only nagged once in maybe 10 minutes to hold the wheel. Now that might have been because the sales guy was adjusting the speed from the right seat as well and he might have bumped the wheel.

We also tested the acceleration on the freeway from 50 to 80 and also from a stand still. Even in the base rear wheel drive mode the car was very impressive. The car drove effortlessly and passing wasn't a problem with the base level car.

We also played with the air suspension. Even in low mode the car had a very nice ride with the 21" wheels. He did say that if you are getting the 21" wheels you really need the air suspension. If you get standard wheels the steel springs are fine.

We then went down a side street and tried the acceleration from 0 and I was impressed. I couldn't imagine the car if it was set back to P100DL mode. I didn't ask and didn't need to I was happy with the standard rwd acceleration.

When we arrived back in the garage I asked if we could autopark. The problem with the brand new car is I guess it hasn't fully calibrated its sensors so the autopark isn't available. I then backed it in myself. I will say not having creep will take some getting used to. I didn't want to smash the car but the accelerator is very sensitive and it is easy to get a crawl from it. It still made me nervous but I managed. I am usually not a nervous driver and am not afraid to break the rear end of a car around in a turn. This car was very different in its demeanor.

After parking we played with the cooled seats and listened to the sound system. The upgraded sound system for me is worth it. I would probably pay the price for it. It filled the cabin better and had better mid range. Also keeping the bass, mid, and treble at 0 it had a very balanced sound. The bass might have been a bit much but overall it was very good. I would say slightly better than my wife's van. Compared to the showroom (we listened to the same music on both as we went back to the showroom car after the drive and hooked up my phone so I could compare) the upgraded sound was probably a decent step up. It isn't like the van where the standard is muddy and it is a requirement to upgrade. You could live with the standard sound but for me I would pay for premium.

Overall car impressions...

I absolutely loved the car. If I was single and didn't have 3 kids in private school I probably would have ordered one right then. I could probably get a Model S next year. I am going to wait and see. If the Model 3 interior doesn't improve then I might order a Model S RWD. I originally wanted to stick to around 60k for my car but I might be willing to stretch to get a Model S if the interior doesn't improve. With that said I would really have to limit what options I got if I purchased a Model S. Like I would have to give up the interior upgrade package, dual motors, big wheels if I go with the S. That is why I am going to wait to see what the Model 3 pricing is.

I will say standing near the car the Model S looks quite nice. I do think the self presenting handles are a bit gimmicy and I could live without those. There were a couple times they didn't present and I had to push on the handle to get it to come out. This probably had more to do with the sales guy having the key and he wasn't too close to the car. When I had the key they seemed to work fine. I could imagine my kids though having to constantly get them to present when I am taking my time getting to the car when they are running.

All in all this probably sealed the fact that I will be getting a Tesla. Before I was considering going with another ICE if the Model 3 is too costly. But now I know I could be satisfied without the PXXD model and probably would be happy with the base model. My only concern would be range. If I bought a Model S I would have to stick with the 60 but at least I could upgrade the range later to a 75.

Mental Notes...

Overall I would say I am pretty knowledgeable about the info on the website and what I have learned on this forum. I did learn that you need the sunroof to get XM radio (I didn't know this).

I was impressed by how big the opening is on the sunroof when it is fully opened. It is huge. It puts my wife's van to shame. I would say it is probably double the size of her sunroof when opened.

The seats and overall fit of the Model S was very impressive. I was impressed and I was setting myself up for it being a little substandard for the price. I actually thought it was actually worth the price.

The Model X I think wasn't up to the quality I would expect for the price. Perhaps other cars are better but I would be concerned that I would get a car with substandard finish. Maybe some model S's are like this too.

The sales guy also said they completely changed their paint process on the new facelift cars so it is more luxury. The paint on the P100DL was amazing. Probably partially because I liked the color.

I will say that I wish there was a better way to see the finishes of the car in cars instead of small samples on the wall. I just am the type that cannot visualize those things. For example the alcantera looks better to me on the car than it does on the wall. If I went off the wall I probably would have wanted the standard headliner. In addition the black leather looks better in the model S than it does in the X. In the S I still want black but I didn't like it on the X. I would have to see the other colors but in the X I think the vegan seats probably are better but on the S I probably wouldn't like the vegan option.

Employee Discussion...

I asked lots of questions for the sales guy. He seemed very truthful. Unlike most sales guys he didn't try to do too much to get me into the car. I would say that I was a bit surprised he really was trying to get me to order the car that day. There was a bit of pressure. Not uncomfortable but I feel like he was actually trying to close a deal. We have a no hassle Honda dealer and he was more pressure than they are. He wasn't as much pressure as a typical Honda dealer but it was brought up if I would consider buying the car today. He didn't push me when I said I wanted to wait. I told him at the earliest I could buy something in Jan and that was the truth. A couple other points he used to try to get me to order early was they could delay the shipment 3 months and he tried to use that I would get $7500 this year instead of next if I took delivery in December. He did also say that if I ordered soon I could also get $1k off by referring to another owner.

One thing he said during the drive about the Model 3 is there would be no $7500 rebate for the Model 3's as they are burning through them pretty fast now and there wouldn't be any left. I took this with a grain of salt. This to me felt like another way he was trying to get me into a Model S.

Overall I would say it was relatively low pressure but it definitely wasn't no pressure. I was honestly thinking it would be no pressure after my previous experience with the showroom when Tesla started in Austin.

Oh and one other thing that was mentioned is when you get the 3rd row seat option in a Model S it is a factory installed requirement because they beef up the rear bumper and hatch to protect better against a rear end collision. This was from the sales guy but I am not sure if it is truth or not.

One thing he said during the drive about the Model 3 is there would be no $7500 rebate for the Model 3's as they are burning through them pretty fast now and there wouldn't be any left. I took this with a grain of salt. This to me felt like another way he was trying to get me into a Model S.
That or he's simply not knowledgeable about how the tax credit actually works. You'd be surprised at how little the general public knows about it. They just take that 200,000 as a hard limit.

I was(actually I still am as I haven't cancelled my reservation) waiting on a Model 3. I was sort of anticipating Tesla would try to turn some of the M3 reservation holders into MS buyers and when they released the 60(which imho is a smoking deal) I ordered one that day (I actually called our local Tesla showroom that morning and they hadn't even received the announcement that the 60 was available yet lol). Yeah, I thought the showroom experience was a little wonky(definitely no pressure tho) but as you actually order the car online it doesn't really matter.

There is a learning curve going from an ice to a Tesla but it becomes "old hat" pretty quick.

That or he's simply not knowledgeable about how the tax credit actually works. You'd be surprised at how little the general public knows about it. They just take that 200,000 as a hard limit.
at a Tesla event in August (on the west coast), I had a Tesla employee tell me the same thing "by the time the Model ☰ is ready, the tax credit will be gone. You can buy a Model S now, with the credit, and spend the same as you would on the Model ☰ without the credit". I took it as a sales gimmick from someone without very good math skills.
My local store (which was hosting this event) also is not scheduling reservation holders for test drives unless legitimately interested in a currently available car.

Reactions: Red Sage
One thing to keep in mind about the seats in the Model S: at least for right now the cool seats that you sat in are only available in the P100D. The seats in all other versions are either the old "flat" seats (in cloth on all other versions or optional black leather on the 60/60D only) or the optional next gen seats available on all version except for the P100D.

Great write-up @ummgood, have to read several times later to pick up the finer points - it's a bit like a professional audiophile component review - all good stuff though.

Actually, I am in a similar position as you. I can get a Model S 60D but will be stretching it a bit - more than I would like. The S is a touch too big as well. My biggest concern is that the Model S is a few levels above what I am used to in terms of what I usually set aside money-wise for a car and its maintenance. Just the mere prospect of regularly having to purchase a set of 21" tires would quickly become something I dislike - no matter how good the car is.

Model 3 on the other hand looks to be just right and is an overall improvement from what I have right now. It will probably cost more to service/maintain than what I am used to but fairly certain that I will not mind that.

Glad you posted all of these details! I drove the Model S shortly after the Model 3's release and can say that I am definitely sold on my next car being a Tesla. I've considered a used Model S, but run into the same issue as you - I would probably have some limitations in place whereas with the Model 3, I can feel a little more comfortable getting the upgrades I want. (Even more so if the $7,500 tax credit applies)

One of the other concerns I have is build quality for early Model 3's off the line. The Model S has come a long way and still have some kinks to work out (like your observation of a hinge issue on the door). If the Model 3 will have things like that, but 10x more, maybe I will prefer the slightly more matured Model S. But again, in my case, I would have to go used, because new will be out of my price range and I might not get the features I want if the next version of Autopilot hasn't made its way to used car inventory by then.

Either way - eventually, my next car will be a Tesla. I'm ready and would take delivery tomorrow if they could get the Model 3 to me!

I test drove a P90D-L about a week after the Model 3 unveil.

Knowing I was already a reservation holder, I was surprised by the lack of pressure to buy a Model S. (Of course, Tesla didn't really start the drive to push M3 res holders until summertime...)

I loved the Model S, and "one foot driving" wasn't all that hard to get used to. I had the hang of it after a few minutes.

A fully loaded Model S is now likely out of my range (I took a lower paying job in June, but with MUCH better benefits), but a lower-optioned S would work....however.....

I don't need a car THAT large. While I'm sure I'd be just fine in the city, and finding parking, etc...my garage would be a tight fit.

The Model 3, at least from all of the initial reveals, appears to be roughly the exterior size of my current car, so I know my garage won't be an issue, and thanks to the unique layout of an EV, I know the interior will be more roomy as well.

All of New England(and of course beyond...) is accessible now thanks to the build-out of the Supercharger network. I'm just hoping for a more convenient Service Center location before I take delivery.

My first impression of the car is that it is really strange to drive. The lack of engine noise when putting in drive, no creep, ultra silent start. This is all foreign to me. When driving the regen was a bit to get used to. There were a few times when I took the foot off the accelerator (I can't say gas anymore...) and the car slowed way more than I was expecting. I apologized but he said I was doing surprisingly well for someone who hadn't experienced it before. Not sure if he was blowing smoke or not haha.

Great post, thanks for taking the time!

Regarding regen, in my experience it becomes intuitive very fast and once you get used to it I don't think you'll want to go back. I recently became a first-time Tesla "owner" (Model S lease) and regen quickly has become one of my favorite features. On the second day I had the car I drove from LA to Monterey along the very twisty (and beautiful!) stretch of Highway 1 through Big Sur. The car handled incredibly well, and regen in particular was a treat -- it allowed me to slow down for the curves without constantly having to hit the brakes, which made it a much smoother and easier drive. The same is true in stop and go commute driving -- it has actually become one of my favorite parts of driving the car.

In the same boat. Could probably afford a base Model S if I wanted to, might be a bit of a stretch, but any options would start to quickly push it out of my range. I'm afraid to test drive an S, because I'm sure I would quickly realize how much better of a car it is than my Leaf, and then I'd try to crunch the numbers and see if I can make it happen and blow up the family budget.

I'm doing my best to just keep enjoying my Leaf for another year or two, and then splurge on some extra options on a 3. As long as I don't do a test drive of an S, I should be okay. I may need to go into some kind of isolation chamber and sever my access to the internet if I don't get some new information on the 3 soon.

i've been to both locations (gallery @Domain & Service center @Pond Springs) multiple times during the past month. The customer experience has been outstanding every time. Friendly, helpful employees and a low-pressure environment.

Yes they were quite friendly. I really can't say anything negative about them. All I noted was I was a bit surprised when he was actually asking me if I would be interested in buying 'Today' which to me is more old school dealership approach. After I said no he didn't push at all after that. The way it came across to me is he was required to ask. I don't know if it is his requirement or corporate but I doubt I'll ever know the answer to that question.

I agree. I am sure I'll get some rebate. I was about 100 in line in Austin to reserve a car. I am guessing I'll be about number 25-30k in line. Hopefully that gets me something on the Model 3.

I was(actually I still am as I haven't cancelled my reservation) waiting on a Model 3. I was sort of anticipating Tesla would try to turn some of the M3 reservation holders into MS buyers and when they released the 60(which imho is a smoking deal) I ordered one that day (I actually called our local Tesla showroom that morning and they hadn't even received the announcement that the 60 was available yet lol). Yeah, I thought the showroom experience was a little wonky(definitely no pressure tho) but as you actually order the car online it doesn't really matter.

There is a learning curve going from an ice to a Tesla but it becomes "old hat" pretty quick.

I still think the showroom has value. I can see the cars up close. I answered my premium audio question. Plus for someone who has never sat in the car I think it really does help someone get some sense of value from the price. Especially driving a Tesla really makes you understand why they are special. That just you can't get from a website or even reading automotive magazines. I went from buying a Model 3 if I could get a loaded one and it wasn't too obscene and possibly buying an ICE if the cost was too high to no question about buying a Tesla and I am willing now to reduce options and not have some features I could get on an ICE to get the car in my price range. The only real bummer right now is I can't get ventilated seats in a lower optioned car. I sure hope this is available on the Model 3 and Model S with an upgrade package or something and isn't tied to a PXXDL. That is one feature I always swore I would get on my next car given I live in Texas. This was one reason I was considering a Nissan Maxima.

at a Tesla event in August (on the west coast), I had a Tesla employee tell me the same thing "by the time the Model ☰ is ready, the tax credit will be gone. You can buy a Model S now, with the credit, and spend the same as you would on the Model ☰ without the credit". I took it as a sales gimmick from someone without very good math skills.
My local store (which was hosting this event) also is not scheduling reservation holders for test drives unless legitimately interested in a currently available car.

I never mentioned I was a Model 3 reservation holder. Perhaps that comes up in the system. My thing though is if someone requests a test drive they need to be contacted even if it doesn't end up becoming a scheduled test drive.

One thing to keep in mind about the seats in the Model S: at least for right now the cool seats that you sat in are only available in the P100D. The seats in all other versions are either the old "flat" seats (in cloth on all other versions or optional black leather on the 60/60D only) or the optional next gen seats available on all version except for the P100D.

Yeah I am aware of that. I even asked if they had a car without the next gen seats (either cloth or leather) so I could see the difference. Their answer was "nobody in Texas buys a car without leather". I did learn that the next gen seats are worth it if you get leather because the price difference is so small it isn't worth it to get the standard leather seats. Plus my sales guy said that is going away because they "found some seats in the factory" and that is why they are an option right now.

Great write-up @ummgood, have to read several times later to pick up the finer points - it's a bit like a professional audiophile component review - all good stuff though.

Actually, I am in a similar position as you. I can get a Model S 60D but will be stretching it a bit - more than I would like. The S is a touch too big as well. My biggest concern is that the Model S is a few levels above what I am used to in terms of what I usually set aside money-wise for a car and its maintenance. Just the mere prospect of regularly having to purchase a set of 21" tires would quickly become something I dislike - no matter how good the car is.

Model 3 on the other hand looks to be just right and is an overall improvement from what I have right now. It will probably cost more to service/maintain than what I am used to but fairly certain that I will not mind that.

I agree. Another thing I forgot to mention is that he said the maintenance cost schedule is by year and costs $400, $600, $400, $800. I wonder is someone could verify this. Honestly my wife's van needs service 2 times a year. It runs about $100 for the first one when you consider all of it. And then about $150. So yeah it is $150 more for the Tesla service compared to a Honda the first year but it is a lux car. I bet my coworkers with Audi would say that it is similar to their service costs. Now with that said it probably shouldn't cost that much because the service requirements are less.

Glad you posted all of these details! I drove the Model S shortly after the Model 3's release and can say that I am definitely sold on my next car being a Tesla. I've considered a used Model S, but run into the same issue as you - I would probably have some limitations in place whereas with the Model 3, I can feel a little more comfortable getting the upgrades I want. (Even more so if the $7,500 tax credit applies)

One of the other concerns I have is build quality for early Model 3's off the line. The Model S has come a long way and still have some kinks to work out (like your observation of a hinge issue on the door). If the Model 3 will have things like that, but 10x more, maybe I will prefer the slightly more matured Model S. But again, in my case, I would have to go used, because new will be out of my price range and I might not get the features I want if the next version of Autopilot hasn't made its way to used car inventory by then.

Either way - eventually, my next car will be a Tesla. I'm ready and would take delivery tomorrow if they could get the Model 3 to me!

Yes the build quality is a concern for me too. I'll probably just have to be on the service center to get the kinks worked out as quickly as I can so I can beat the others that are getting the car and they get overwhelmed.

I am in the same thought process about the autopilot. Before the test drive I didn't really care that much about it but now I really want the latest autopilot. To me that is a huge motivation to get a new Model S over CPO. I would probably love the car but that autopilot is my major must have feature. When the model 3 comes out I am guessing the version of Autopilot will be even better and require newer hardware so I would want a car that at least has the latest autopilot hardware Tesla has at the time.

I test drove a P90D-L about a week after the Model 3 unveil.

Knowing I was already a reservation holder, I was surprised by the lack of pressure to buy a Model S. (Of course, Tesla didn't really start the drive to push M3 res holders until summertime...)

I loved the Model S, and "one foot driving" wasn't all that hard to get used to. I had the hang of it after a few minutes.

A fully loaded Model S is now likely out of my range (I took a lower paying job in June, but with MUCH better benefits), but a lower-optioned S would work....however.....

I don't need a car THAT large. While I'm sure I'd be just fine in the city, and finding parking, etc...my garage would be a tight fit.

The Model 3, at least from all of the initial reveals, appears to be roughly the exterior size of my current car, so I know my garage won't be an issue, and thanks to the unique layout of an EV, I know the interior will be more roomy as well.

All of New England(and of course beyond...) is accessible now thanks to the build-out of the Supercharger network. I'm just hoping for a more convenient Service Center location before I take delivery.

Yeah I don't really need a car that large either. I need a car that I can commute in and I can get my three kids in the back seat occasionally. Most of the time we use the van if we have all the kids and we often have other people's kids. The other thing is I have a 3 car garage but they are all single sized doors. We have to fold in the left mirror on the van to get it in. I wasn't paying attention last night and hit the side of the garage with it last night even. So yes I would prefer the smaller car for my car.

Great post, thanks for taking the time!

Regarding regen, in my experience it becomes intuitive very fast and once you get used to it I don't think you'll want to go back. I recently became a first-time Tesla "owner" (Model S lease) and regen quickly has become one of my favorite features. On the second day I had the car I drove from LA to Monterey along the very twisty (and beautiful!) stretch of Highway 1 through Big Sur. The car handled incredibly well, and regen in particular was a treat -- it allowed me to slow down for the curves without constantly having to hit the brakes, which made it a much smoother and easier drive. The same is true in stop and go commute driving -- it has actually become one of my favorite parts of driving the car.

I was getting the hang of it when I was driving in stop and go traffic. When I got on the freeway and got off again I would forget haha. I am sure I would get the hang of it quick.

Nice detailed post. BTW, you mentioned "not having creep" a couple of times. That is an option that you can enable, if desired.

He showed me that but recommended most keep it off so I was doing a valiant effort to resist having it on haha. When backing into the spot it was the most unnerving because I was afraid it would roll into the wall. It really wasn't a problem though.

Oh and one other thing that was mentioned is when you get the 3rd row seat option in a Model S it is a factory installed requirement because they beef up the rear bumper and hatch to protect better against a rear end collision. This was from the sales guy but I am not sure if it is truth or not.
There have been reports from several Model S owners that this is now retrofitable, including the reinforced bumper.

Good write-up, lot of good info. How would you say the ventilated seats performed? I heard they are pretty weak but that is from what I heard in the X, but assume the S would be the same since they are essentially the same seats.

Regarding the phone calls about setting up test drive, I wonder if somewhat had to do with TX position on selling Teslas and also end of quarter. I submitted test drive request (also in Austin) couple weeks ago and finally received a phone call few days after quarter ended. I've resisted scheduling one so far because I know I will want to order one right away and don't want to torture myself more than I already am :p

In the same boat. Could probably afford a base Model S if I wanted to, might be a bit of a stretch, but any options would start to quickly push it out of my range. I'm afraid to test drive an S, because I'm sure I would quickly realize how much better of a car it is than my Leaf, and then I'd try to crunch the numbers and see if I can make it happen and blow up the family budget.

I'm doing my best to just keep enjoying my Leaf for another year or two, and then splurge on some extra options on a 3. As long as I don't do a test drive of an S, I should be okay. I may need to go into some kind of isolation chamber and sever my access to the internet if I don't get some new information on the 3 soon.

I think you need a strong ability to keep your sensibilities if you test drive one. It is really alluring. I have a pretty strong ability to say no so I am going to wait. I would imagine the leaf to the model S is less of an improvement than my 2005 Tacoma 4x4 to a model S. I felt like it was such a slug after driving the model S haha.

@ummgood - Thanks for taking the time to write such a well thought-out & detailed review.

No problem I was hoping it would help someone.

There have been reports from several Model S owners that this is now retrofitable, including the reinforced bumper.

That might be but I was just repeating what the sales guy told me. I put it here because I didn't even realize that it was more than just bolting a seat in. I didn't realize they improved the bumper for rear end collisions. He also mentioned something else like the gate or something but I don't remember specifically what he said.

Good write-up, lot of good info. How would you say the ventilated seats performed? I heard they are pretty weak but that is from what I heard in the X, but assume the S would be the same since they are essentially the same seats.

Regarding the phone calls about setting up test drive, I wonder if somewhat had to do with TX position on selling Teslas and also end of quarter. I submitted test drive request (also in Austin) couple weeks ago and finally received a phone call few days after quarter ended. I've resisted scheduling one so far because I know I will want to order one right away and don't want to torture myself more than I already am :p

Sorry I didn't try the seats in the X in the showroom so I don't know how those are compared to the S. Have you ever felt ventilated seats on another lux car? I have a coworker with a GS300 Lexus (I think it is a 2005 or 6 model). Anyway I would say they are definitely better than the seats in his car. I could feel the air flow pretty much as soon as I turned them on. They are not actively cooled so it isn't like they are really cold. Just air movement which I think helps if you are starting to feel like you might sweat you could turn them on and potentially not drench your shirt. Now if you are completely sweaty when getting in the car from a workout or doing something intensive you won't get that much cooling effect. On another note I believe Bjorn Nyland tested his model X seats actually suck air and not blow so that might give it some perspective. I think it would be nice though to have a combination of the ventilation and the ability to cool the cabin before you get to the car to help with the Texas sun.

That is interesting about your experience. My call came in after the Q end. This wasn't my first request though it was my second and the first request was several months ago (I don't exactly remember when. Maybe End of April/May?)

My only experience with ventilated seats were in newer (2014-2015 I guess) Lexus ES350 and 2015 Porsche Cayman. Porsche ones were nice, but wasn't that impressed with the Lexus ones. It was much hotter outside temperature with the Lexus though, so maybe that had something to do with it. Even if they are not that effective, I told myself my next car will have them. Sure hope it is option on the 3.

Out of curiosity, was the women you talked to from Fremont named Amber?

Yes they were quite friendly. I really can't say anything negative about them. All I noted was I was a bit surprised when he was actually asking me if I would be interested in buying 'Today' which to me is more old school dealership approach. After I said no he didn't push at all after that. The way it came across to me is he was required to ask. I don't know if it is his requirement or corporate but I doubt I'll ever know the answer to that question.
I went on a test drive at the end of August with my friend who was considering the 2-year-lease. When the drive ended, the Tesla rep walked us back to the office, which was beginning to close, gave his business card to my friend, and said to contact him if we had any questions. That was it. My friend couldn't believe it. Of course, before we went on the test drive I had told my friend about Tesla finishing last at being "salesy" and that their sales team was referred to more like museum curators, which was *exactly* what we experienced.

My friend ordered an S60 2-year-lease a few days later and says it's the best car he's ever had.

The car has exceeded his expectations, and he's the only one at his firm with a Tesla, amongst Mercedes and BMWs. Everyone in his office is trying to figure out "who has the Tesla".

Last edited: