Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Resale value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone looking to sell a one month old car should target his/her anger about resale value to the person in the mirror. BTW, we have an S with transferable lifetime Supercharging and a LR 3. I cannot imagine feeling compelled to sell my 3 for another S. They are not that different. Make a smart decision and keep the 3

Yea, Im not really sure where Tesla is getting all of these used model 3's from.
I cant imagine anyone taking their trade in offers and they are way below anyone else.
Id have to guess alot of these cars are repurchases or cars that were returned within 7 days
then resold. If you look at some of the pics on these low mile cars you can spot emblems missing etc which
usually means paint work has been done.

Okay, I really peeved at the moment. I bought the Model 3 about a month ago with the following options:

1. Long-range ($10k more)
2. Blue color ($1k more)
3. Self-drive option ($6k more)

Since the base was just under 40k, the price of the above was 57k. At this point, freight ($1.5k), title/registration and taxes (2.5k), were added to give me a purchase price of 61k. Now I know that Tesla dropped the price of this vehicle by around 2.8k (taxes included), one day after my return period ended. This weekend, Tesla announced that they were now including unlimited supercharging for their Model S or X vehicles so I thought, I would trade in the Model 3 and purchase the S. I was completely beside myself when Tesla told me that the fair market value of my Model 3 is now 36.9k .. WTF??? The Model 3 declined in value by more than 50% in 3 weeks??? I find this really hard to buy since Tesla states they use Kelley's blue book values to price the trade-ins. Kelley's blue book value for a 2018 Model 3 is 49.2k (and that does not include self-drive) ... so how exactly did Tesla come up with 36.9k for my 2019 Model 3??

While I love the car, I am not finding Tesla to be as progressive as many believe in their business practices and they leave a lot to be desired. I will also say, if this is what they believe a brand new model 3 is worth after 3 weeks, then perhaps all of us should be ditching the idea of buying a Tesla.
Okay, I really peeved at the moment. I bought the Model 3 about a month ago with the following options:

1. Long-range ($10k more)
2. Blue color ($1k more)
3. Self-drive option ($6k more)

Since the base was just under 40k, the price of the above was 57k. At this point, freight ($1.5k), title/registration and taxes (2.5k), were added to give me a purchase price of 61k. Now I know that Tesla dropped the price of this vehicle by around 2.8k (taxes included), one day after my return period ended. This weekend, Tesla announced that they were now including unlimited supercharging for their Model S or X vehicles so I thought, I would trade in the Model 3 and purchase the S. I was completely beside myself when Tesla told me that the fair market value of my Model 3 is now 36.9k .. WTF??? The Model 3 declined in value by more than 50% in 3 weeks??? I find this really hard to buy since Tesla states they use Kelley's blue book values to price the trade-ins. Kelley's blue book value for a 2018 Model 3 is 49.2k (and that does not include self-drive) ... so how exactly did Tesla come up with 36.9k for my 2019 Model 3??

While I love the car, I am not finding Tesla to be as progressive as many believe in their business practices and they leave a lot to be desired. I will also say, if this is what they believe a brand new model 3 is worth after 3 weeks, then perhaps all of us should be ditching the idea of buying a Tesla.

You wouldn't want to sell it to me for $40k, would you? :p

I think this forum gives people the wrong impression on real world values.

I have a ‘18 LR RWD M3 with 15k miles. I toyed around with selling it a few weeks ago and had a couple offers at $44k. I don’t see the benefit in upgrading to anything else right now so I’m keeping it.

Where i live you don’t have to pay tax on private party sales... which saves the buyer almost $4k off the bat.

Last edited: