Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Reservation with 7.5k federal rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this has been talked about in great lengths and my understanding is if you want to get a Model 3 from someone who can configure right now they basically have to configure/buy it and then resell it to you, and both don't get the 7.5k rebate.
I've read earlier posts where people were able to change the owner name to their spouse / family etc.
What about a stranger?

Anyways why I bring this up is someone claims you can get the rebate and are selling their reservation which can be configured now. See image.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 11.14.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 11.14.29 AM.png
    614 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: Pkmmte
This person is selling the ability to configure under the seller's account and purchase with the buyer's own loan. The buyer would be added to the seller's Tesla account. The seller would not be buying the car from Tesla and then selling to the buyer. In this case the buyer would be considered the first owner, buying a new car directly from Tesla and receive the 7.5k tax incentive.

I've heard of this kind of thing happening, but I'm not sure what Tesla's stance on it is. Both the buyer and seller are taking a risk... both that Tesla catches wind and decides to take some kind of action and that both the buyer and the seller honor their agreements with each other.

Not to mention that they each have to trust the other with sensitive information during the process.

This person is selling the ability to configure under the seller's account and purchase with the buyer's own loan. The buyer would be added to the seller's Tesla account. The seller would not be buying the car from Tesla and then selling to the buyer. In this case the buyer would be considered the first owner, buying a new car directly from Tesla and receive the 7.5k tax incentive.

I've heard of this kind of thing happening, but I'm not sure what Tesla's stance on it is. Both the buyer and seller are taking a risk... both that Tesla catches wind and decides to take some kind of action and that both the buyer and the seller honor their agreements with each other.

Not to mention that they each have to trust the other with sensitive information during the process.

Thanks mwu for your fast reply

I wrote to a few people who are doing the same thing, and basically they all said something along those lines:
"be using my reservation to configure the car. It will be registered under your name when it is delivered

Tesla does not check name on reservation vs name on registration.

Since you are the first owner, you'll be eligible for all the rebates,

Have a friend who did the same thing, and you can also search on the forums a lot of people have sold reservations as well."

I checked my reservation and you can even edit our name out, or add alternate contact.
It's all based on trust which is hard for stranger, but much easier for a close friend.

Good to know!

TESLA policy is that the reservation is transferable to an immediate family member only. If they even smell its a sold reservation it will be denied. That being said I have heard they do not scrutinize your DNA qualifications... Hint, Hint. The transfer is possible but still risky.