Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 runs well after sustaining damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Coming out of Toronto this evening in a downpour and hit a piece of metal. It bounced around for 5-10 seconds under the car before being spit out. Never saw it before hitting it. Pulled over but couldn't see anything hanging under the car. "Coolant low, OK to drive" came on the screen so I gave it a try. Had about 200 km left on the trip (and 100 km from a replacement car) and my client was adventurous so we carried on with caution. 15 minutes later "Power restricted." came on and speed was reduced to 98 km/hr. The speed further reduced as the range lowered but the car did not use an excessive amount of the battery. After dropping the client I got to a charger and replenished to 350 km range and headed home.
No more power warning. Full speed available.
Will book into Tesla for evaluation and repairs but I am very satisfied with the durability. For reference sake, we have an X and 3 Model 3s. I put 14,000 km on Teslas myself last month. Awesome cars.

When you stopped to charge could you see any puddling underneath? I assume/hope it clipped a leak into the coolant line ahead of the pack or between the rear drive unit and the pack, or maybe it just wacked a sensor, as if it punctured the pack itself enough to create a leak in one of those channels that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Would love to hear how this plays out. Exciting first post here. :)

Put it on the hoist this morning. The front sheild was ripped and the frame where the sheild screws in was bent up breaking the hose. The hose was the one that has 2 ends and 1 t connector in the middle. There were some marks on the skid plate covering the battery but no penetration.
As usual I cannot contact Oakville parts (still waiting for a call back from 10 days ago) so I will stop by tomorrow and order one.

• Informative
Reactions: SammichLover
Went to the Oakville service centre Saturday. They did not have the hose but sent me to the Lawrence St service centre which did have it. The hose was only $7.70 and the front aero cover was $200. They gave me 3 gallon jugs of coolant at no charge. No one knew how much it required (even in the shop).
Installed the hose and cover today. The car took a long time to accept the coolant but eventually took 2 1/2 jugs of it. All is well. All systems are back to normal.
An interesting part of the process was that I lost all auto pilot/cruise features including info on the screen when the coolant was low. These features came back once the coolant was full.

Went to the Oakville service centre Saturday. They did not have the hose but sent me to the Lawrence St service centre which did have it. The hose was only $7.70 and the front aero cover was $200. They gave me 3 gallon jugs of coolant at no charge. No one knew how much it required (even in the shop).
Installed the hose and cover today. The car took a long time to accept the coolant but eventually took 2 1/2 jugs of it. All is well. All systems are back to normal.
An interesting part of the process was that I lost all auto pilot/cruise features including info on the screen when the coolant was low. These features came back once the coolant was full.

Thanks for the detailed follow up! Apparently up in the arctic north, people are encouraged to do their own service on their cars. Surprised they let you do all the fill up yourself. Resourcefulness is expected up there I guess.

You just drove around without coolant for a bit, it sounds like? I guess the car is "cool with that" as long as things don't get too hot. Good to know.