Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD LR Motor Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 for about 1 month's worth of drivable time (was in the shop for 5 weeks for panel repainting from delivery issues). This is my first Tesla and first EV so I don't know if I'm being picky or if I should have cause for concern with a noise that's emitting from my RWD motor.

I also don't know if it's me acclimating to the general cabin silence as well, but I'm hearing a mechanical whirring noise at lower speeds, and as the speed of the vehicle increases, I'm sure it's the wind resistance that's overtaking the whirring in volume as I can't hear it past 35-40mph. Up until now I could've sworn that the motor was virtually silent other than the high pitched inverter noise which you can generally hear when regen is active.

So, my question is, other than the high pitched inverter noise, is it normal to hear an additional and separate noise as the one that I've so plainly described? Could it be the temperature drop here and maybe the motor just breaking in? Austin was recently going from high 90's weather to a sharp drop into the 50s - 60s.

I know a lot about ICE vehicles and diagnosing ICE vehicles, but to err on the side of caution I'm not going to rely on my own instincts on this one. If it's an abnormal noise, I would like to get it at least checked out by the service center so I don't have any prolonged damage.

Thanks.

I tried a few recordings on my phone but I don't think the sound is loud enough, need a more sensitive microphone. I'll try to go to a parking garage or lot to minimize road noise to see if I can pick it up.

I would definitely not describe it as whooshing. There's a mechanical quality to the sound, almost as if there's a miniscule misalignment of gears somewhere causing a faint stream of noise, which if it is the case worries me because of improper wear which could lead to catastrophic failure.

Last edited: