Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD pre delivery hangout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because Tesla know when they will be making them??? The last round of price rises were to slow demand, which seems to worked given the lead time hasn't continued to extend.

CATL will probably be supplying a new battery next year, BYD is said to start supplying Tesla with LFP batteries soon - so there will be extra batteries, plus the production line can now kick out 7000+ M3 vehicles a week.
Not entirely convinced, but irrespective the EDD part of the process, and it would appear VIN allocation (on cars that don’t exist) is not fit for purpose. How would we know that the price increase was intended to slow demand, and wasn’t to do with increasing production costs and profits. The demand for Tesla’s over recent times has been so high it is quite possible that the purchase price increase had no effect on demand and orders.

Anyway, those of us that have been waiting for the best part of a year by the time we take delivery, accepted delays have been a consequence of Covid, lockdown, parts shortages and new plant installation, can with good reason expect to see cars in Q4. Given the hike in electric prices yesterday, and with further probable hikes next year, some purchasers will be thinking twice about purchasing an EV and either not placing orders or cancelling previously placed orders, changing the supply and demand relationship over the coming months. The combination of this and what you have said about battery production and production line gains should mean Tesla can better match orders with actual deliveries. I am not trying to be alarmist here, merely pointing out that In Denmark, electricity is already £1 per kWh and owners are selling their Tesla’s as they can’t afford to run them, diesel and petrol seemingly preferred options. It’s complicated further by fixed tariffs coming to an end and the lack of guarantees around EV cheap rate nightly tariffs. How long will free charges be available at peoples’ places of work? The picture is not as clear as it appeared to be, Tesla and other EV producers will have their work cut out in some markets … including the UK.

Thanks for pointing those things out though MrT3, I was wasn’t aware of those developments 👍

Long ranger I agree with what you are saying

I just posted this in the other thread

Tbh the cost of energy is making me question whether owning a Tesla is a smart financial decision. I ordered back in January and have been delayed over 6 months from my initial EDD. If I knew what I knew now back in January, I wouldn’t have bothered to test drive or order.

We are on a fixed rate of nearly 60p kw so it really doesn’t make much sense to own an electric car. Our variable rate wasn’t much cheaper (but expected to go much higher without fixing the cost).

Reactions: LoneRanger
Long ranger I agree with what you are saying

I just posted this in the other thread

Tbh the cost of energy is making me question whether owning a Tesla is a smart financial decision. I ordered back in January and have been delayed over 6 months from my initial EDD. If I knew what I knew now back in January, I wouldn’t have bothered to test drive or order.

We are on a fixed rate of nearly 60p kw so it really doesn’t make much sense to own an electric car. Our variable rate wasn’t much cheaper (but expected to go much higher without fixing the cost).
Yup £0.64 is about my break even point in terms of energy. There are plenty of other reasons to own an electric vehicle than pure energy though and I’d still stay electric personally even if it wasn’t any cheaper than petrol or diesel power though obviously my pockets aren’t infinitely deep!

Out of interest, who is your electricity supplier with that 60p rate? Second guessing other people’s tariff choices is an occupational hazard around here but when 12 month fixes like Octopus Go are still around with peak rates of 40p/kWh it’s always interesting to understand the choices other people have made with fixing their energy prices.

I’m fixed until April 2023 at 7.5p/30.61p with a legacy Octopus Go tariff but I do expect that to get a cataclysmic rise come renewal then…

Yup £0.64 is about my break even point in terms of energy. There are plenty of other reasons to own an electric vehicle than pure energy though and I’d still stay electric personally even if it wasn’t any cheaper than petrol or diesel power though obviously my pockets aren’t infinitely deep!

Out of interest, who is your electricity supplier with that 60p rate? Second guessing other people’s tariff choices is an occupational hazard around here but when 12 month fixes like Octopus Go are still around with peak rates of 40p/kWh it’s always interesting to understand the choices other people have made with fixing their energy prices.

I’m fixed until April 2023 at 7.5p/30.61p with a legacy Octopus Go tariff but I do expect that to get a cataclysmic rise come renewal then…
Our supplier is EDF energy - the issue I’ve got is this is the worst time to try and switch energy providers. The deals being offered are only available to those who are current customers.

Our mistake was not switching energy providers earlier, however the prices are likely going to rise to silly rates (seen some predictions of up to 75p kw by March next year).

Our supplier is EDF energy - the issue I’ve got is this is the worst time to try and switch energy providers. The deals being offered are only available to those who are current customers.

Our mistake was not switching energy providers earlier, however the prices are likely going to rise to silly rates (seen some predictions of up to 75p kw by March next year).
Understood, thanks for sharing. Those price predictions look depressing real today for 12 month fixes from Octopus - tariffs appear to have changed very recently :

54A79756-C57C-496B-98E0-979C4C50DEC8.png

60p/kWh on a 12 month fix seems positively cheap compared. This flexible rate’s days are numbered when the new cap comes crunching in…

0DD90359-B337-47D2-8BC2-7A70278D266E.png

Sad times.

Reactions: partywme

My fixed tariff was due to come to an end with Eon at the start of September. I think it was around 18p for electric and 3p for gas. I called up Octopus who put me on the flexible tariff to join then as soon as that went through I swapped to octopus go and fixed electric for the year at 38p peak and 7.5p night. They didn't even ask me for my RN number or anything.
So I'll be paying a little bit more for September than the cap but when the next few price increases come around I'll be fixed in.
I'll be interested to see what octopus will do with the go and intelligent tariffs

My fixed tariff was due to come to an end with Eon at the start of September. I think it was around 18p for electric and 3p for gas. I called up Octopus who put me on the flexible tariff to join then as soon as that went through I swapped to octopus go and fixed electric for the year at 38p peak and 7.5p night. They didn't even ask me for my RN number or anything.
So I'll be paying a little bit more for September than the cap but when the next few price increases come around I'll be fixed in.
I'll be interested to see what octopus will do with the go and intelligent tariffs
Same as me Bodders ... this year at least is doable ... what did you do with your gas as a matter of interest? You can only fix for 12 months on the Octopus gas tariff, currently the variable is at 7.36p per kWh, rising to 13.25p in October, 17.22p in January and 19.8p in April (by which time we don't use any gas to speak of) if the predictions are to be believed. The Octopus fixed rate for gas is 20.18p from October and won't be reached by the variable until next April (it is very marginally cheaper). On this basis I am tempted not to switch to a fixed rate for gas.

Last edited:
Same as me Bodders ... this year at least is doable ... what did you do with your gas as a matter of interest? You can only fix for 12 months on the Octopus gas tariff, currently the variable is at 7.36p per kWh, rising to 13.25p in October, 17.22p in January and 19.8p in April (by which time we don't use any gas to speak of) if the predictions are to be believed. The Octopus fixed rate for gas is 20.18p from October and won't be reached by the variable until next April (it is very marginally cheaper). On this basis I am tempted not to switch to a fixed rate for gas.
I've left the gas on the variable tariff for now. I did consider fixing that too but the rate was a bit high for me to be tempted

Right … after lots of mulling … I have decided and my wife approves … we will be sticking with the decision to buy the Tesla, despite the rising energy costs. There, decision made, bring on Q4!
Looking for positives in the delays again.. here is a thought… One of the prospective new PMs has been reported to be considering tax cuts which I thought as a pensioner were awful as I don’t pay much tax until I realised.. a 5 per cent cut on VAT on my Model3 RWD invoice could save almost £2000 ?? !!! That would pay for a bit of the electricity bill if it was applied, surely a change in VAT rate would apply at the time of payment rather then of order ?

Looking for positives in the delays again.. here is a thought… One of the prospective new PMs has been reported to be considering tax cuts which I thought as a pensioner were awful as I don’t pay much tax until I realised.. a 5 per cent cut on VAT on my Model3 RWD invoice could save almost £2000 ?? !!! That would pay for a bit of the electricity bill if it was applied, surely a change in VAT rate would apply at the time of payment rather then of order ?
VAT applies at time of invoice issuing.

Reactions: dajw2793
Here’s hoping!! 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Here’s hoping!! 🤞🤞🤞🤞
Good thinking Frank … what we have is a booking invoice for the £100 we have paid to reserve the car. If we are invoiced separately for the car, what you say would apply wouldn’t it?

Reactions: dajw2793