Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD pre delivery hangout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on mine:
Lease order on 23/01/22. White, Black, 18''. I spoke with Tesla Chat just and they have said I have been 'soft matched' to a vehicle and so should get a text in the next 7-14 days to schedule delivery. I asked what 'soft matched' means and she said there that is a vehicle ready to be assigned to my order. Finally!!!!
Now just read that this might not even mean much! Ha. Who knows.

@LoneRanger
Hey there! Hope you’re enjoying the car.
As you’ve had the car for a bit now, could you help me with a dilemma I have please? 😂
Does the car have a speed limiter while driving? I know about the autopilot for keeping the speed or just the cruise control, but what about the speed limiter?
So like you set 70 on the motorway, and even pushing more on the pedal (not till the end) it stops at that speed?
The only one I found is the speed you select when you give the car to someone else, and you do that in the settings or in the app.. but if every time you need to open the vehicle settings to do that, it’s stupid! lol
Thaaanks
Hi bi.angel, there isn't a speed limiter ... I would like one of those too. It could well be a feature that is added in a future update, let's hope so. And I am really enjoying the car thanks. I can't believe it is very nearly a month since we collected it.

My latest head scratchers have been preconditioning the battery on colder mornings, whether to bother or not and if I do should I do it off the mains or off the car itself.

And whether to actually charge the car to 100% all the time (I know the manual says to do this, but still) ... like every day when the sun is shining (solar) and whether or not this is actually harmful to the battery.

The upshot of my findings are:

Precondition the car if it is cold and you want a warm car to get into - but it's not really necessary as far as the battery is concerned (though you do have to use the brakes more as there is less regeneration, but this feels natural enough). When it gets really cold, I intend to precondition using the car battery itself rather than plugging into the mains (the required 2.5kWh approx is £1 on the Octopus Intelligent day tariff, but is about 22p's worth of battery charge the night before ... I can afford that). There are some technical differences in terms of what the car does in terms of heating the battery itself, but I am not going to worry about that.

Charging to 100% is harmful to any battery, but the damage to LFPs is minuscule compared to other types and the benefits of so doing by far outweigh the effects of not doing so ... lots of technical things that I can only appreciate in a vague sort of way ... so my car is going to be in the "charge to 100%, everyday if you like" category.

Couple of final points, my battery had 273 miles on its first full charge ... now has 267 miles. All entirely normal from what I have read ... it will stabilise at around this figure.

And ... I really envious of all you guys expecting delivery of their cars soon ... it is such a thrill and I loved every minute ... even the frustrating times looking back. Somehow, it makes seeing the car in person on delivery day even sweeter!

Hi bi.angel, there isn't a speed limiter ... I would like one of those too. It could well be a feature that is added in a future update, let's hope so. And I am really enjoying the car thanks. I can't believe it is very nearly a month since we collected it.

My latest head scratchers have been preconditioning the battery on colder mornings, whether to bother or not and if I do should I do it off the mains or off the car itself.

And whether to actually charge the car to 100% all the time (I know the manual says to do this, but still) ... like every day when the sun is shining (solar) and whether or not this is actually harmful to the battery.

The upshot of my findings are:

Precondition the car if it is cold and you want a warm car to get into - but it's not really necessary as far as the battery is concerned (though you do have to use the brakes more as there is less regeneration, but this feels natural enough). When it gets really cold, I intend to precondition using the car battery itself rather than plugging into the mains (the required 2.5kWh approx is £1 on the Octopus Intelligent day tariff, but is about 22p's worth of battery charge the night before ... I can afford that). There are some technical differences in terms of what the car does in terms of heating the battery itself, but I am not going to worry about that.

Charging to 100% is harmful to any battery, but the damage to LFPs is minuscule compared to other types and the benefits of so doing by far outweigh the effects of not doing so ... lots of technical things that I can only appreciate in a vague sort of way ... so my car is going to be in the "charge to 100%, everyday if you like" category.

Couple of final points, my battery had 273 miles on its first full charge ... now has 267 miles. All entirely normal from what I have read ... it will stabilise at around this figure.

And ... I really envious of all you guys expecting delivery of their cars soon ... it is such a thrill and I loved every minute ... even the frustrating times looking back. Somehow, it makes seeing the car in person on delivery day even sweeter!
Quality post pal 👍 keep em coming

Reactions: LoneRanger
How do you do chat? I'm on my laptop and a chat option never come up
Update on mine:
Lease order on 23/01/22. White, Black, 18''. I spoke with Tesla Chat just and they have said I have been 'soft matched' to a vehicle and so should get a text in the next 7-14 days to schedule delivery. I asked what 'soft matched' means and she said there that is a vehicle ready to be assigned to my order. Finally!!!!

And whether to actually charge the car to 100%
I've been charging my car to 85% for about 3 months now with no ill effect.. can always adjust the charge limit while you're in bed if you suddenly have a big drive planner for the morning!

Realistically charging to 85% rather than 100% will extend the battery's workable life, and although there are concerns re: v small voltage drop & not being able to tell discharge clearly, I haven't seen anyone (with longer cycles with LFP than myself) raise any practical issues!

Question for whoever know something more than me in EV charging lol

Not 100% sure I'll be able to install an EV charger in the house where I'm planning to move.
I was thinking: as on the electrical certificate of the house it says the sockets are rated at 32amp (it's a pretty new built house, 5yrs old), would it be fine to plug in a 3 pin 13amp plug (amazon link below) with a 16amp outlet (commando socket), in which I'd connect then the Tesla mobile connector with a blue plug in order to get more than the 2.3 kw of the standard 3 pin plug?

This is the plug I'm talking about: https://amzn.eu/d/9oaoWpv

As I understood, it's the same plug used for caravans?
I know it's not ideal, but it would be a temporary solution for a bit.
Just thought that as the sockets are 32amp (maybe for both of them as they're coupled? So one would be 16amp in that case) and the adapter has a 13amp or 16amp fuse, it would be ok to charge the car in that way limiting the charging at 13amp?
As I said, I'm no expert in that matter, but it seemed fine to me considering the numbers and the fuses in question?

Thanks to whoever gives me couple of minutes of their time.

Question for whoever know something more than me in EV charging lol

Not 100% sure I'll be able to install an EV charger in the house where I'm planning to move.
I was thinking: as on the electrical certificate of the house it says the sockets are rated at 32amp (it's a pretty new built house, 5yrs old), would it be fine to plug in a 3 pin 13amp plug (amazon link below) with a 16amp outlet (commando socket), in which I'd connect then the Tesla mobile connector with a blue plug in order to get more than the 2.3 kw of the standard 3 pin plug?

This is the plug I'm talking about: https://amzn.eu/d/9oaoWpv

As I understood, it's the same plug used for caravans?
I know it's not ideal, but it would be a temporary solution for a bit.
Just thought that as the sockets are 32amp (maybe for both of them as they're coupled? So one would be 16amp in that case) and the adapter has a 13amp or 16amp fuse, it would be ok to charge the car in that way limiting the charging at 13amp?
As I said, I'm no expert in that matter, but it seemed fine to me considering the numbers and the fuses in question?

Thanks to whoever gives me couple of minutes of their time.
Hi mate. I’m an electrician for your peace of mind.

The circuit is rated up to 32a on the ring main, this Is negligible as whatever you plug into the socket is down rated to 13a. The 32a ring is thrre To allow for demand if there is a lot of appliances in use.

You could easily install that 16amp blue connector off you standard socket but your charging rate will be very very slow? You would be better off installing a EV charging point. Is this not possible?

Also I believe the car limits itself somehow when connected to 16a. Somehow?? 🤣

Hi mate. I’m an electrician for your peace of mind.

The circuit is rated up to 32a on the ring main, this Is negligible as whatever you plug into the socket is down rated to 13a. The 32a ring is thrre To allow for demand if there is a lot of appliances in use.

You could easily install that 16amp blue connector off you standard socket but your charging rate will be very very slow? You would be better off installing a EV charging point. Is this not possible?

Also I believe the car limits itself somehow when connected to 16a. Somehow?? 🤣
Thanks a lot for your answer @Lewis Smith, really appreciated!

As where I'm moving I'll be renting, the landlord doesn't want an EV charger installed for now (I'll maybe manage to convince him after a while tho), so my options would be:
1) Charging for looong time with a standard Tesla Mobile Connector with a 3pin plug, or
2) Using a blue plug with 13amp together with a Mobile Connector and 16amp plug to speed it up a bit.

I know they're definitely gonna be much slower that an EV charger installed, but considering those 2 options, do you confirm it would be anyway faster using a 13amp?

Unfortunately I'm limited to these 2 alternatives for now (apart from charging for free at work), but you know, wouldn't be bad knowing that I can wake up in the morning with more juice in the battery lol

As where I'm moving I'll be renting, the landlord doesn't want an EV charger installed for now (I'll maybe manage to convince him after a while tho), so my options would be:
1) Charging for looong time with a standard Tesla Mobile Connector with a 3pin plug, or
2) Using a blue plug with 13amp together with a Mobile Connector and 16amp plug to speed it up a bit.

I know they're definitely gonna be much slower that an EV charger installed, but considering those 2 options, do you confirm it would be anyway faster using a 13amp?

Unfortunately I'm limited to these 2 alternatives for now (apart from charging for free at work), but you know, wouldn't be bad knowing that I can wake up in the morning with more juice in the battery lol
I am (still - thanks Tesla) running an ancient Nissan Leaf (2014 with a nominal 24kWh battery -- remember those?) I have had it for 5.5 years and never got round to putting in a charger. It's charged quite successfully from the 13A outside socket that we put in when we rewired 10 years ago for things like lawnmowers, power washers and Christmas lights. Putting 80 miles on it overnight has never been a problem (at least until the battery started shrinking). So if your usual mileage isn't that high and your electrics are reasonably robust, a 3pin connector is likely to be just fine, especially if you can charge at work. (I used to be able to charge at work for free, but then I moved jobs and can't charge there at all . . .Mind you, the new one pays more than enough extra to stand a bit of paid-for charging.)

Reactions: bi.angel

I am (still - thanks Tesla) running an ancient Nissan Leaf (2014 with a nominal 24kWh battery -- remember those?) I have had it for 5.5 years and never got round to putting in a charger. It's charged quite successfully from the 13A outside socket that we put in when we rewired 10 years ago for things like lawnmowers, power washers and Christmas lights. Putting 80 miles on it overnight has never been a problem (at least until the battery started shrinking). So if your usual mileage isn't that high and your electrics are reasonably robust, a 3pin connector is likely to be just fine, especially if you can charge at work. (I used to be able to charge at work for free, but then I moved jobs and can't charge there at all . . .Mind you, the new one pays more than enough extra to stand a bit of paid-for charging.)
Only just checked the link you sent. If you’re plugging the 16a commando into a socket on a standard plug. This will still only charge at 13a. In that case it will charge no differently than the mobile connector provided with the car (assuming you ordered before the cut off of them removing this). So in my opinion, use the Tesla mobile connector. The 16a socket is not needed

I think landlords still get a grant from Govt for installing chargers? Maybe a bit of leverage there for you??

Only just checked the link you sent. If you’re plugging the 16a commando into a socket on a standard plug. This will still only charge at 13a. In that case it will charge no differently than the mobile connector provided with the car (assuming you ordered before the cut off of them removing this). So in my opinion, use the Tesla mobile connector. The 16a socket is not needed
Legend, thanks for your help!
Was wondering tho, if I plug in the 3pin plug, that gives me 13amp max, but the car would allow max 10A? (Saw videos of people charging that way and the car was limiting the amps to 10 automatically).
If I go with the one in the link instead, wouldn't the car increase the max amps a bit, maybe to 13A?

I think landlords still get a grant from Govt for installing chargers? Maybe a bit of leverage there for you??
To be fair I'm willing to cover the whole cost even if there are extra works to be done. I think they're a bit reluctant for that reason, that some extra things would need to be done as the fuse box is inside the house in a storage room.

Legend, thanks for your help!
Was wondering tho, if I plug in the 3pin plug, that gives me 13amp max, but the car would allow max 10A? (Saw videos of people charging that way and the car was limiting the amps to 10 automatically).
If I go with the one in the link instead, wouldn't the car increase the max amps a bit, maybe to 13A?

To be fair I'm willing to cover the whole cost even if there are extra works to be done. I think they're a bit reluctant for that reason, that some extra things would need to be done as the fuse box is inside the house in a storage room.
No because you’re still Plugging the 16a socket in using a 13a plug. I really would consider convincing the landlord to Allow it and that you will cover the cost. There is not really much modifications to be done. The hardest job being the cable Routing to the charger. Most landlords are normally fine with this. Especially going into the future of motoring they Will have to adapt to this change at some point