Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD pre delivery hangout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was wondering tho, if I plug in the 3pin plug, that gives me 13amp max, but the car would allow max 10A? (Saw videos of people charging that way and the car was limiting the amps to 10 automatically).
If I go with the one in the link instead, wouldn't the car increase the max amps a bit, maybe to 13A?
The manual says the car sets the current to the maximum for the plug type in use. So a 16A connector will default to 16 which you could reduce to 13A in the Tesla. As I understand the granny charger does limit to 10A. Drawing 13A from a socket continuously is possible, its the same as connecting a 3kW fan heater or oil filled heater and leaving it running flat out overnight.

Most loads of this sort are hard (permanent) wired into a separate circuit in the installation to prevent them from contributing to an overload on the ring circuit. Bear in mind that when you are charging the car, there is only 4kW available on a 32A ring for other loads.

The other thing to bear in mind is how often plugs and sockets overheat due to poor connections; at the socket terminals, the plug terminals, or the fuse seat contacts. If you do charge in this way, check the plug and socket for any signs of being hot after the first hour of use, and at the end of charging, preferably every use. If they get hot, replace the plug / get an electrician to check the screw terminals in the socket. It would be prudent to limit the period of time you use the outlet in this way.

If its sub zero charging becomes inefficient at 10A/13A as current is wasted keeping the battery warm enough to charge. This may be 30% losses.

Disclaimer: Not an electrician - but an electrical engineer. An electrician may give you different answers to comply with regulations.

Last edited:
Reactions: bi.angel
Question for whoever know something more than me in EV charging lol

Not 100% sure I'll be able to install an EV charger in the house where I'm planning to move.
I was thinking: as on the electrical certificate of the house it says the sockets are rated at 32amp (it's a pretty new built house, 5yrs old), would it be fine to plug in a 3 pin 13amp plug (amazon link below) with a 16amp outlet (commando socket), in which I'd connect then the Tesla mobile connector with a blue plug in order to get more than the 2.3 kw of the standard 3 pin plug?

This is the plug I'm talking about: https://amzn.eu/d/9oaoWpv

As I understood, it's the same plug used for caravans?
I know it's not ideal, but it would be a temporary solution for a bit.
Just thought that as the sockets are 32amp (maybe for both of them as they're coupled? So one would be 16amp in that case) and the adapter has a 13amp or 16amp fuse, it would be ok to charge the car in that way limiting the charging at 13amp?
As I said, I'm no expert in that matter, but it seemed fine to me considering the numbers and the fuses in question?

Thanks to whoever gives me couple of minutes of their time.
Using this adapter would let you charge at 16A however the 3 pin outlet/plug and depending on what else is connected to that ring will overload that circuit. This may result in overheating and possible fire.
That said, the most likely outcome is the 13A fuse in the adapter cable blows before any damage happens... Why not use the 3 pin UMC and charge at 10A. You can get 12 hrs at ~10 miles/hour = ~100 miles added each night.

Using this adapter would let you charge at 16A however the 3 pin outlet/plug and depending on what else is connected to that ring will overload that circuit. This may result in overheating and possible fire.
That said, the most likely outcome is the 13A fuse in the adapter cable blows before any damage happens... Why not use the 3 pin UMC and charge at 10A. You can get 12 hrs at ~10 miles/hour = ~100 miles added each night.
Is it not possible to set a 13A charge limit in the Tesla?

If more than 32A is drawn from the ring wont the circuit breaker trip? The OP referred to a new house so surely we dont have to worry about overloading the ring, as up to date circuit protection is there to prevent that?

Just thought that as the sockets are 32amp (maybe for both of them as they're coupled? So one would be 16amp in that case)
Sockets aren't 32 amp rating. Only the loop in/out terminals can handle that, not the internal connections/switch.

Double sockets are tested to 20 Amps for BS certification. 14 A in one socket and 6 A continuous. Some manufactures test beyond that - if you are going to overload a socket then I'd certainly be putting in a new MK one.

Sockets aren't 32 amp rating. Only the loop in/out terminals can handle that, not the internal connections/switch.

Double sockets are tested to 20 Amps for BS certification. 14 A in one socket and 6 A continuous. Some manufactures test beyond that - if you are going to overload a socket then I'd certainly be putting in a new MK one.
Well thats an interesting rabbit hole. I didnt know that.

It leaves the interesting scenario that the average user can plug two 3kW heaters into a double socket and not know he is overloading it above its specification.

I think we have to bear in mind that this anomaly is left in the regulations because on the whole it isnt known to cause a problem. If it did the regulations would have to change, The debate of why it isnt a problem is perhaps better placed in an electricians forum.

My suggestion would be that in a relatively new installation the socket can be expected to be good enough and since the thermal specification for the socket is >50 degrees checking for heat regularly is a useful way of protecting yourself. Either way beyond the short term resolving the install to a fixed connection is in your landlords interests as well as yours.

I've just spoken to to Tesla and they seem to think that my EDD of Nov 18-Dec 4th should still be accurate and not slip back. This was based upon my order date of 7th Feb. So at least a bit of optimism for the moment
I think I have same spec and exactly the same order date. My EDD is Nov 17-Dec 3. I’m losing optimism I’m afraid as it’s almost 3 weeks until earliest delivery date and still no news!

Someone in shipping thread posted itinerary for RCC Europe… it appears to be due into Southampton about 2 weeks after the first ship. RCC Europe looks like it has pulled into Shanghai south where most of the cars are loaded for the UK.

I think majority of the orders in here will be given a “hidden” vin soon

I was somewhere close to my local Tesla Centre this afternoon with a few minutes to spare so I called in to enquire. The salesperson couldn't give me any more details than my current EDD, but said that there was a good chance that I would get The Call within a week, and they were matching cars to customers "in 3 days"!
Well, a week has passed . . . . and nothing has changed (except that I am a week older and Tesla-less)

Reactions: Jon_UK