Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 RWD real world range test

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a quick one for those concerned about the range on the base model. I have a late 22 RWD model 3 and had a full day out right on the limit of its range. I set off from home at 100% and returned with 5%, covering mainly motorway miles at the speed limit (the M50, M5, M42 and M1) with a little city driving mixed in. Total distance covered was 253 miles, which I think gives me a max range of 265ish miles. pretty bloody good!!

Reactions: SR-Plus and Js1977
Yes, they are good, practical cars - my son has one. I like that you can...are actively encouraged... regularly charge to 100%.

BUT...as ever...the potential range will vary quite a bit with environmental conditions.

Repeat your journey with ambient temperature near zero on lashing rain and you will get a rather different result.

Yes, they are good, practical cars - my son has one. I like that you can...are actively encouraged... regularly charge to 100%.

BUT...as ever...the potential range will vary quite a bit with environmental conditions.

Repeat your journey with ambient temperature near zero on lashing rain and you will get a rather different result.
I received the car in early December 22 and despite the minus 10 degree weather was averaging around 4 miles per kWh in those winter months. So around 220ish miles of range.

I received the car in early December 22 and despite the minus 10 degree weather was averaging around 4 miles per kWh in those winter months. So around 220ish miles of range.
Not a bad hit, but for those in the very north, don’t expect 272/260 actual range in M3RWD during Dec-Fed/Mar

I think the highland refresh and M3LR will get much better than 333 mile range, especially in response to the Ioniq6 range

Same here with Jan 2023 model, seeing max 259 miles useable (272x.95)
Love the car

That doesn’t look to be a like for like comparison.

The OP has actually driven 253 real world (for the conditions that drive) miles and seen 5% remaining so extrapolated the final 5% to give 100%.

Have you driven those 259 miles or just interpolated that distance from 95% of the 100% value?

The latter is just a pure guess, the OPs is a very good estimate of their real world range had they carried on that drive to 0% SOC.

But as second post suggests, a drive in different conditions may well give a completely different result. Drive into a strong headwind, in cold weather in heavy rain and head to a supercharger (because using so much energy due to poor conditions) and it will be a very different story.

Reactions: Adopado
Just a quick one for those concerned about the range on the base model. I have a late 22 RWD model 3 and had a full day out right on the limit of its range. I set off from home at 100% and returned with 5%, covering mainly motorway miles at the speed limit (the M50, M5, M42 and M1) with a little city driving mixed in. Total distance covered was 253 miles, which I think gives me a max range of 265ish miles. pretty bloody good!!

I have the OG SR+ and will get between 190-200 miles in current weather from 100%-0%, so there's been a massive improvement in range which I would love to have for ease of mind more than anything else. But practically I've never been massively inconvenienced by my current range.

Its possible but Im not sure they will be focussed on addressing this apparently non issue...

Interesting video - but what struck me was that all three were very close in practically all respects. The reported much lower Wh/mi on the Tesla didn't translate into more range, so it's clear that the stated consumption data is not reliable or comparable between different cars. Of course, the best way to test consumption is to fill up to 100%, drive, then fill up 100% again, noting the actual energy added. Using data from the car (or an app) is not sufficiently trustowrthy.